Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try going 80 yards on our defense consistently, good luck amigos!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Try going 80 yards on our defense consistently, good luck amigos!

I hate the new kickoff rule, but it will only make our defense that much harder to beat. I like it, because it plays to our strength, we win around here because we have the best defense in the league. With the old rules getting the ball past the 30 yard line was the norm, now teams will have to start at the 20 most of the time, I like those chances better now. Also if there's one team who will figure this out and come out on top on special teams it will be us with Westhoff, so I think this new rule could end up winning us a couple of extra games when it's all said and done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting perspective. I like it and I agree, this should reduce the chances that another team can mitigate our key strength (Defense) with a good return game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It gets better, you're also going to have gutsy kick returners fielding kicks out of the endzone and coming way short of the 20, as we saw around tonight. With the ball just getting to the 15, some coaches might just abandon the return game and take it at the 20 rather than lose field position.

Westhoff already said we will be running it back and I think he was the way to beat it already because he was pretty upbeat about it. You know he's a mad scientist when it comes to coverage schemes, it's such a new thing that you know whatever wrinkle he comes up with will be hard to defend at first.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 08-12-2011 at 04:11 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4100643]It gets better, you're also going to have gutsy kick returners fielding kicks out of the endzone and coming way short of the 20, as we saw around tonight. With the ball just getting to the 15, some coaches might just abandon the return game and take it at the 20 rather than lose field position.

Westhoff already said we will be running it back and I think he was the way to beat it already because he was pretty upbeat about it. You know he's a mad scientist when it comes to coverage schemes, it's such a new thing that you know whatever wrinkle he comes up with will be hard to defend at first.[/QUOTE]

true

feeling sorry for the 31 other teams with lesser ST coaches who will be starting drives on the 20 against the Pettine-Ryan monster defense all season

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4100658]true

[B]feeling sorry[/B] for the 31 other teams with lesser ST coaches who will be starting drives on the 20 against the Pettine-Ryan monster defense all season[/QUOTE]

you're feeling sorry for them?

**** them. pound them into the ground. all of them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the extra 5 years really going to make a difference? It's not like Folk is known for his strong leg. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember him being in the lowest 25% of the league for KO distance?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year Jets couldn't cover the TE, the Slot, or the RB out of the backfield. How is that going to change this year?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4100724] It's not like Folk is known for his strong leg. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember him being in the lowest 25% of the league for KO distance?[/QUOTE]

i agree with this.

some kickers in last nights game were barely getting into endzone or not at all. not all kickers can still boot it out even with the 5 yds

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Slikmojet is really onto something here. One thing that has bothered me about the Jets specials for years, ever since we lost John Hall is the general softness of our kickoff coverage. We were forever spotting teams by giving them great field position either because we could not kick the ball deep or because we could not tackle. Or both. Hopefully the new rules (and maybe a stronger leg on kickoffs) will result in more touchbacks.

I agree with Slickmojet, advantage Jets on this rule change.

And oh yeah, good luck going 80 yards on our defense biatches.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4100724]Is the extra 5 years really going to make a difference? It's not like Folk is known for his strong leg. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember him being in the lowest 25% of the league for KO distance?[/QUOTE]

Even if the kicks aren't going out of the end zone (I agree, I still think less than 50% of KOs will be touchbacks), the coverage units are 5 yards closer making big returns that much harder.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It also means our offense will have to start at the 20 much more often ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think having a kicker that can consistently kickoff into the end zone will be a huge advantage for our special teams. It could be a deciding factor in the Folk-Novak competition. As good as our special teams have been, kickoff coverage has been a sore point. If we can consistently win the field position battles, we will consistently win games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    go ahead and try it, muchachos!!

not gonna happen :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4100737]It also means our offense will have to start at the 20 much more often ...[/QUOTE]

Not if the other team doesn't score . . .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4100747]Not if the other team doesn't score . . .[/QUOTE]

The point is that this is a two sided coin. The Jets were 2nd in average starting field position last year (Chicago was 1st) - a lot of that had to do with our kickoff return unit.

[url]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman;4100726]Last year Jets couldn't cover the TE, the Slot, or the RB out of the backfield. How is that going to change this year?[/QUOTE]

Adjustments made by Rex and Pettine (as seen in playoffs), improved play of Wilson and Safties.

Any other questions?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Josh Cribbs is still planning on balling.
    [quote=JoshCribbs16]All these touchbacks....smh not me 9yds deep we bringing it out!!! 9 1/2 I'll think about it...[/quote]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of these kickers if not all can kick it out of the endzone, but they would float the ball instead so that the coverage could get there in time, it's a timing thing. Now it doesn't matter, you can drive line that sucker into the endzone cause you know the dogs are coming.

We lose a big edge ourselves because we always prided ourselves on KR's, but I guarantee you that we will still do it better than the rest.

The norm was getting close to the 30 on an average return, now we will see guys struggle to get to the 20:yes:

Don't like the rule in general because I think Goodell is slowly ruining the game on purpose, but it does play into what we do. If I'm the Colts or the Pats, I hate this rule because it negates my strength, but if I'm the Jets I'm loving it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4100632][B]I hate the new kickoff rule, but it will only make our defense that much harder to beat.[/B] I like it, because it plays to our strength, we win around here because we have the best defense in the league. With the old rules getting the ball past the 30 yard line was the norm, now teams will have to start at the 20 most of the time, I like those chances better now. Also if there's one team who will figure this out and come out on top on special teams it will be us with Westhoff, so I think this new rule could end up winning us a couple of extra games when it's all said and done.[/QUOTE]

Im not convinced our defense is top 5 right now.

On paper, our pass rush is WORSE then last years. No pass rush kills defenses...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ideal kick from the 35, is a high hang time kick coming down between the hash marks and sideline around the 5 yard line. Pin them in the corner....