Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaxico to get MRI on ankle Monday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Plaxico to get MRI on ankle Monday

Will miss first preseason game. Per ESPN radio.

No problem Kerley will fill in right? Any body else we can trade to SF at this point?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4101098]Will miss first preseason game. Per ESPN radio.

No problem Kerley will fill in right? Any body else we can trade to SF at this point?[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to get a little bit nervous about this. I'm normally a glass half-full kinda guy, but I'm wondering if this "nagging injury of the week" is gonna be a season-long thing with Plax. If not the ankle this week, it's the wrist next, that kind of thing ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He also practiced yesterday and looked fine by all accounts.

I'd rather him miss meaningless preseason game #1 than risk anything further.

SF reference :zzz:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets coach Rex Ryan reversed course from yesterday and announced today that Plaxico Burress will not play Monday night in the team's preseason opener in Houston.

Burress, who rolled his left ankle nine days ago, will have an MRI today to "make sure there's nothing else there," Ryan said. The team's medical staff nixed Ryan's earlier plans to play Burress because of concerns his ankle could swell up on the flight to Texas.

Ryan emphasized that he isn't concerned about the injury, and that Burress would "definitely" play if it were a regular-season game. However, the team will shut down Burress completely -- meaning no individual or team drills in practice -- until Wednesday. That is the Jets' first scheduled practice after Monday's game.

"We assume he will be 100 percent then, if we back him off completely now," Ryan said.

Santonio Holmes and the newly acquired Derrick Mason will start at wide receiver.

Ryan said Burress' ankle feels today the best it has since he injured it and also said that a setback was not the reason for finally ordering an MRI.

The injured ankle is not the one that nagged and kept him out of practice during the Giants' Super Bowl XLII season. But he did have his left ankle scoped that year to clean out debris that had been bothering him, and was limited in the offseason and training camp as a result.

Ryan said this ankle injury is not related to any past problems.

Time to get on the same page with quarterback Mark Sanchez is passing by, but Ryan keeps saying he is not worried, at one point adding, "I think we’re looking into it too much."

"If he was struggling mentally, I would definitely be concerned, but he's not," Ryan said. "I'm not concerned right now. I'll just say that. Now, if it goes on, I'll have to answer the question next week and the week after. I don’t think we’ll have those issues."

[B]Other injury updates:[/B] C Nick Mangold said he expects to play Monday after leaving practice Thursday with a stinger. RG Brandon Moore, who was activated off the physically unable to perform list today, will not play Monday. Both will be limited in practice today.

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/plaxico_burress_wont_play_for.html[/URL]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    relax

everybody needs to relax

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4101098]Will miss first preseason game. Per ESPN radio.

No problem Kerley will fill in right? Any body else we can trade to SF at this point?[/QUOTE]

Allows Patrick Turner and/or Logan Payne to get a few more reps..

JMO..nothing to worry about..Jets just being cautious and bringing him along slowly..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why no one else wanted to give a 35 yr old coming out of jail no gaurenteed money?

It really would have sucked saving a few million and resigning that other WR we had last year that won us a bunch of games.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4101110]relax

everybody needs to relax[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. He was moving yesterday at a pretty good pace. If this was a real serious thing he would have not even been in uniform. Rex makes every injury seem like nothing so you can't really take his opinion but I am pretty sure he will be ready for the second preseason game....it is missing that game that I will start to worry a bit!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the mental part of the game is the biggest concern at this point and plax is picking that up fine according to the reports.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully this is simply precautionary and not a big deal. However, it's never a good sign when a rolled ankle needs an MRI two weeks after it happened.

Are people really surprised to see a 34 year old body 2.5 years out of the game having some issues recovering from a fairly minor injury? Plax has a long history of nagging injuries.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a pro, he'll be fine.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always mix them up, is Plax the dog fighting guy or the one who likes to shoot himself in the nuts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rick34125;4101137]the mental part of the game is the biggest concern at this point and plax is picking that up fine according to the reports.[/QUOTE]

:confused:

Completely disagree. Receiver is a position where speed and agility play much larger roles than anything mental. I have no doubt that Plax will learn the playbook and pick up the mental part of the game easily. The big question is whether his 34 year old body can transition back into NFL shape after a long layoff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4101110]relax

everybody needs to relax[/QUOTE]

it's not doom and gloom but it is mildly concerning.

a 34 year old WR who hasn't played in 2 years is experiencing some injuries in a shortened training camp and is expected to be our #2 is not nothing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a rolled ankle guys... Don't any of you play sports? It'll get better. They always do. Just a difference whether it's a week or 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Alkrotraz;4101153]I always mix them up, is Plax the dog fighting guy or the one who likes to shoot himself in the nuts?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://techgenie.com/wp-content/uploads/Google-Chrome.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KR;4101122]

It really would have sucked saving a few million and resigning that other WR we had last year that won us a bunch of games.[/QUOTE]
    Except for two things.

1. That it's abundantly clear now, at this point, the cost wasn't going to be the issue with "that other WR," we just didn't want him back. Tannenbaum told some radio show a couple of days ago... The team needed a clean break from BE and BE needed a "fresh start" somewhere else. He then went on to another radio show, Michael Kay or one of those, and said something sort of similar, without going as far, and just said Braylon getting a "fresh start" would be good. It can't get clearer we did not want him back and that there were BTS factors at play. We may never know what the deal is, but it's CLEAR, they just did not want him back. Money savings or not. Tannenbaum as guarded as he is, telling two radio shows in as many days... "A fresh start for him..."

2. Not to mention, we couldn't have saved "a few million" signing him, because... He wasn't coming back to the Jets on a cheap one year deal, and if people don't want to use Cimini as a valid source, which I understand, other beat writers have said similar, AND, BE tweeted the other day-- something to a Jets fan who said he should have returned to the Jets on a discount if he was going to go to SF and play for that little... He said something about there being a difference between discount and disrespect, etc. He implied the Jets would have been disrespectful offering him that much. AND Braylon's interview where he point blank said he wasn't coming back to the Jets on a one year deal, because he felt he'd already proved himself to the Jets, and if all they offered was a one year deal, he was going to have to, "keep it moving." I don't know why people think a one year deal with Braylon was ever going to happen for the Jets, for that reason alone. Not to mention the disaster it would have been giving Tone $50M and Braylon $1M. That would have lead to bad things eventually, no?

He wasn't returning to the Jets for that cheap. Totally different dynamic, even had we been aggressively pursuing him. Documented sources, including BE's own mouth saying so... I... Respect everyone's opinion who wanted him back, but it wasn't going to happen. And definitely not on a one year, cheap deal. Never.

In regards to Plax... Can someone who knows his history... Plax never practiced with the Giants, did he? I read that from a Giants beat writer, don't know if it's true. If it is... I'm not concerned... yet. Although, I took some solace in the fact that Rex said the doctors told him they more so wanted a "baseline MRI" so they'd know what it looks like now, and have something to measure against going forward. Sounds sort of precautionary, and so they know going through the season, how much stress/strain he's putting on it, in the given time, and know what it looks like when the season started.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's why this was a 1 yr deal. the jets know there's a good chance they have to replace either plax or mason in a year or 2.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KR;4101122]I wonder why no one else wanted to give a 35 yr old coming out of jail no gaurenteed money?

It really would have sucked saving a few million and resigning that other WR we had last year that won us a bunch of games.[/QUOTE]

Edwards wanted a multi year big contract from us. He settled for less after weeks on the market after we made our moves. I am sure we would have signed Holmes and Edwards if Edwards would have taken one year at 4 million. He would not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KR;4101122]I wonder why no one else wanted to give a 35 yr old coming out of jail no gaurenteed money?

He's 34, but feel free to add an extra year if it helps your agenda. Please let the season start already so the Braylon Boys can stop the whining