Thread: My extremely brief camp notes 8/12/11

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

My extremely brief camp notes 8/12/11

Practice was on field 2 today (the middle field), which means the only real way for regular fans to watch practice was to watch behind the one endzone. The best view is usually from the side, which wasn't available unless you were media or VIP on field 2. Obviously, this made watching practice a bit difficult today.

They practiced kickoffs again and rotated the same guys as yesterday. Again, Kerley, McKnight and Cromartie all looked good generally. There was some contact today during kickoffs so the returners were getting tackled at times--that didn't happen yesterday. Looked like there was some blocking issues a few times and the returner got tackled by the first wave. It seemed like if you made it past the initial wave of coverage guys, then you didn't get tackled (they would just let you run by). In position drills today, the WRs looked really good. Kerley was much better catching the ball today. Scotty McKnight seems to catch everything. The way he plays, he should be a good slot WR as well. Ropati looked good today generally, although sometimes he gets too high way too early. Cromartie was better today, breaking up a lot of passes. But, I think that had a lot to do with the QBs today. All of the QBs seemed to be way off today throwing balls to the WRs in both offensive drills and the 11 on 11 drills. It actually impacted the 11 on 11 practice IMO. Plenty of INTs and pass breakups today by DBs. Revis stood out today; he was stellar in coverage. He made a great diving play to break up one pass to a WR near the sideline. I also saw him get one INT in 11 on 11.

I would love to know the numbers today for the QBs because I thought they were awful. Lots of overthrown balls and short balls. One of the QBs, I think it was Sanchez, threw a mid-range ball to a location where there wasn't one offensive OR defensive player. Not sure if that was the QB's fault or the WR's fault. I thought Brunell really looked his age today. Not effective throwing the ball. On one play, he took a sack about 2 to 3 seconds after the snap. I couldn't tell what player got the sack.

Punting situation. Right now, I would say it's TJ Conley's job to lose. He was absolutely killing the ball today, except for one punt. His punts were traveling far and had great hang time. They tend to be straight up. Chris Bryan's punts weren't nearly as good. But, I think Chris Bryan actually punts a tougher ball to handle. No sooner after I was telling the guy next to me about how I thought it would be difficult to handle his punts, one punt returner muffed a punt that was traveling end over end. Sometimes, Bryan's punts curve a bit as well. Kind of crazy. But, he doesn't have the distance or hang time.

VIP fans and media were on the side of the field by the big tree today. Jay Glazer in the house again. Somebody tweet Jay Glazer if you have a twitter account and ask him why he shows up in black shirts and jeans every day in the middle of the summer in NJ. LOL

Today, it felt like there was a lack of energy in practice today as compared to yesterday and there was a corresponding lack of energy from the fans today as a result.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-12-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4101562] Somebody tweet Jay Glazer if you have a twitter account and ask him why he shows up in black shirts and jeans every day in the middle of the summer in NJ. LOL
    [/QUOTE]

cause that's the unofficial NYC uniform, black shirts and jeans.

nice notes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4101572]cause that's the unofficial NYC uniform, black shirts and jeans.

nice notes[/QUOTE]

The Jets are in NJ and Jay Glazer is from NJ. Black shirts and jeans are not the rave in NJ so it can't be an excuse! It's funny though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found the numbers thanks to Jenny. Confirms what I saw.

JennyVrentas Jenny Vrentas
    Bad day for the offense here. Sanchez 10-of-23 in 11-on-11s, with 2 INTs and three drops by Holmes. #nyj
    2 hours ago

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for doing these notes for us. That's an interesting note about the team's energy or lack thereof rubbing off on the fans.

Further confirming what you said, I read Rod Boone say this on his Twitter, too:

[QUOTE=RodBoone]#Jets offense seems to be having their worst day of camp so far. Lots of drops and misfires by the QBs. Backup Olineman are shaky at best.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it was a little bit of everything with the offense, like you said.

Seems like Holmes had an atrocious day, huh?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lovethejets;4101589]Thanks for doing these notes for us. That's an interesting note about the team's energy or lack thereof rubbing off on the fans.

Further confirming what you said, I read Rod Boone say this on his Twitter, too:

Sounds like it was a little bit of everything with the offense, like you said.

Seems like Holmes had an atrocious day, huh?[/QUOTE]

Holmes didn't look bad during the position drills I saw. To me, you couldn't really evaluate the offense or defense in 11 on 11 because the QBs were so bad. I saw plenty of bad balls thrown to WRs. At times, I couldn't tell who was catching the ball because most of the action was on the opposite side of the field from the fans during 11 on 11. It was really stupid given the fans' location. I'm not sure how many of Holmes's drops resulted from poor throws.

After seeing camp two days in a row, the media doesn't seem to be paying that much attention to most of practice. The only one who seems to pay attention is Jenny Vrentas, which was why her twitter was the first one I checked for numbers after posting my notes. I give her credit.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-12-2011 at 07:19 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Confirming what I said about Jenny, Manish is citing her re: players missing practice.

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    RT @JennyVrentas OL Trevor Canfield missed practice w/knee injury. LB David Herron not at practice; sounds like he's about to be cut #nyj
    9 minutes ago

More tweets from practice. I've seen this woman on the sideline as well. Didn't know who she was when I saw her.

janesports Jane McManus
    Sanchez and Holmes not connecting as well today. Pass tipped up off Holmes' hands with Revis on tail. #Jets
    3 hours ago

janesports Jane McManus
    Sanchez intercepted by Leonard, a pass to Holmes. That's two... #Jets
    3 hours ago

janesports Jane McManus
    Revis just intercepted a pass from Sanchez to Jeremy Kerley.
    3 hours ago
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-12-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4101605]Holmes didn't look bad during the position drills I saw. To me, you couldn't really evaluate the offense or defense in 11 on 11 because the QBs were so bad. I saw plenty of bad balls thrown to WRs. At times, I couldn't tell who was catching the ball because most of the action was on the opposite side of the field from the fans during 11 on 11. It was really stupid given the fans' location. I'm not sure how many of Holmes's drops resulted from poor throws. [/quote]
    Thanks for answering, and that makes a lot of sense, sort of trying to wait to evaluate the offense and the defense, given certain factors, particularly bad throws, etc. The QB's have definitely had better days, it sounds like.

I read there was a bad snap or two, too, from someone's twitter. It sounds like things were almost totally out of whack on offense. A small part of me wonders if it's at all possible that removing Nick Mangold from center in some of these reps, at least as it pertains to the starters, winds up throwing everyone else to some extent, too.

[quote]After seeing camp two days in a row, the media doesn't seem to be paying that much attention to most of practice. The only one who seems to pay attention is Jenny Vrentas, which was why her twitter was the first one I checked for numbers after posting my notes. I give her credit.[/QUOTE]
    This is so interesting to me. You'd think they'd all be totally dialed in. But, if I recall correctly from your notes yesterday, that Jeane Coakley didn't seem to be paying attention much... And now you noticing it again, today... I'll keep that in mind when I'm reading their tweets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini only pays attention when there's an injured player on the ground, he gets a "tingle up his leg" when that occurs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lovethejets;4101621]Thanks for answering, and that makes a lot of sense, sort of trying to wait to evaluate the offense and the defense, given certain factors, particularly bad throws, etc. The QB's have definitely had better days, it sounds like.

I read there was a bad snap or two, too, from someone's twitter. It sounds like things were almost totally out of whack on offense. A small part of me wonders if it's at all possible that removing Nick Mangold from center in some of these reps, at least as it pertains to the starters, winds up throwing everyone else to some extent, too.

This is so interesting to me. You'd think they'd all be totally dialed in. But, if I recall correctly from your notes yesterday, that Jeane Coakley didn't seem to be paying attention much... And now you noticing it again, today... I'll keep that in mind when I'm reading their tweets.[/QUOTE]

Jeane Coakley was sitting on the grass in her dress most of the time talking to a Jets employee all day yesterday. Most of them seem to talk a lot.

I've seen Rod Boone both days. He's back and forth--talking, watching..talking, watching. He put up a video of one INT.
    [url]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2263876567416[/url]

Something else I find funny now after reading Boone's twitter, at one point during drills, all of us are like who is that kid running near the players on the field. Boone with the answer:

rodboone Rod Boone
    Most commotion so far in this afternoon's practice? A Plaxico sighting? Nope. It was Jay Glazer's son getting chased by #Jets D on the field
    3 hours ago

Generally speaking, if you look at the media's twitter account, how many of them have tweets about the details of the entire practice? Some of them tweeted some things about 11 on 11 and that's basically it because most of them aren't paying attention.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4101627]Jeane Coakley was sitting on the grass in her dress most of the time talking to a Jets employee all day yesterday. Most of them seem to talk a lot.

I've seen Rod Boone both days. He's back and forth--talking, watching..talking, watching. He put up a video of one INT.
    [URL]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2263876567416[/URL]

Something else I find funny now after reading Boone's twitter, at one point during drills, all of us are like who is that kid running near the players on the field. Boone with the answer:

rodboone Rod Boone
    Most commotion so far in this afternoon's practice? A Plaxico sighting? Nope. It was Jay Glazer's son getting chased by #Jets D on the field
    3 hours ago

Generally speaking, if you look at the media's twitter account, how many of them have tweets about the details of the entire practice? Some of them tweeted some things about 11 on 11 and that's basically it because most of them aren't paying attention.[/QUOTE]

In Jeane's defense she isn't a beat reporter per se...She just does the interviews for SNY...But the beat reporters should, you would think, be watching the practice (excluding Jenny since you say she watches)..Explains why the reporters spend 10 minutes asking Rex about Plax's ankle instead of observations from practice..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4101651]In Jeane's defense she isn't a beat reporter per se...She just does the interviews for SNY...But the beat reporters should, you would think, be watching the practice (excluding Jenny since you say she watches)..Explains why the reporters spend 10 minutes asking Rex about Plax's ankle instead of observations from practice..[/QUOTE]

You are right about Jeane in terms of her not being a beat reporter. But, if I interview Jets for a living every week, I would want to know how the players are performing so I can ask the right questions (and know who I should interview). I do cut her more slack than the beat reporters though. I wasn't picking on her; just responding to the other poster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed what I said about Cromartie the past two days. But, I still think he's being too "physical" beyond five yards at times still.

Jay_Glazer Jay Glazer
    RT @BrianRitchie3: @Jay_Glazer Any thoughts on the Jets from yesterday's practice, Jay?>Guy who actually looks the best: Cromartie. Much more physical, playing w a chip on his shoulder
    1 hour ago

Frankly, Revis looks better than Cromartie in practice so I'm not sure how Cromartie "looks the best".
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4101961]Confirmed what I said about Cromartie the past two days. But, I still think he's being too "physical" beyond five yards at times still.

Jay_Glazer Jay Glazer
    RT @BrianRitchie3: @Jay_Glazer Any thoughts on the Jets from yesterday's practice, Jay?>Guy who actually looks the best: Cromartie. Much more physical, playing w a chip on his shoulder
    1 hour ago

Frankly, Revis looks better than Cromartie in practice so I'm not sure how Cromartie "looks the best".[/QUOTE]

Great news, hopefully he keeps it up.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... great info bro ... thx!! ...

... s*cks about the qb's ... let's hope part of it at least is having to go up against revis & cro ... will be very telling to see what happens vs. houstons bad defense ...

l_j_r