Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Goodell bettered our sport?

Has Goodell bettered our sport?

You know what? I never heard anyone complain about Paul Tagliabu, he knew how to leave well enough alone. Ever since Goodell took over the reins of the NFL our sport has undergone a series of changes from the "very personal conduct policy", to excessive fines levied against players committing penalties that we were all accustomed to understanding was just tough football. To changes on special teams, the Spygate coverup, or should I say burn it all... I mean I can go on and on, it's like he wants to leave his mark on our game, but I think he's ruining it little by little, how can the fans bring this tyrant down? I have spoken to a number of fans from different teams and they all seem to be on the same page, this clown has to go.

So to answer my own question... FCK NO!
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 08-13-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Veteran
    Under Paul Tagliabu so much was left untouched that it was up to Goodell to fix it. A pay system for rookies went out of control and unproven first year players were making 50 million before even playing a down. That meant less money for the retirees and veterans. He also never emphasized or looked into the long term effects of head injuries in the way that Goodell has prioritized it. He allowed stars to get away with more than they should have and allowed "big hits" to victimize the players since they were good for revenue.

Sure Goodell isn't a saint and he had mishandled somethings but he dig get us to a ten-year CBA that emphasizes competitiveness between teams and takes care of the players that make the sport great.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kdelgado;4101822]Under Paul Tagliabu so much was left untouched that it was up to Goodell to fix it. A pay system for rookies went out of control and unproven first year players were making 50 million before even playing a down. That meant less money for the retirees and veterans. He also never emphasized or looked into the long term effects of head injuries in the way that Goodell has prioritized it. He allowed stars to get away with more than they should have and allowed "big hits" to victimize the players since they were good for revenue.

Sure Goodell isn't a saint and he had mishandled somethings but he dig get us to a ten-year CBA that emphasizes competitiveness between teams and takes care of the players that make the sport great.[/QUOTE]

agreed! a leader can not be universally admired and respected. There is always a pundit willing to spew his venom.

I think he is an excellent Commissioner, who has now brought long term stability and labor peace to the NFL.

If you want to look at poor leadership, look no further than Major League Baseball. :yes:
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 08-13-2011 at 10:35 AM.

[QUOTE=kdelgado;4101822][B]Under Paul Tagliabu so much was left untouched that it was up to Goodell to fix it.[/B] A pay system for rookies went out of control and unproven first year players were making 50 million before even playing a down. That meant less money for the retirees and veterans. He also never emphasized or looked into the long term effects of head injuries in the way that Goodell has prioritized it. He allowed stars to get away with more than they should have and allowed "big hits" to victimize the players since they were good for revenue.

Sure Goodell isn't a saint and he had mishandled somethings but he dig get us to a ten-year CBA that emphasizes competitiveness between teams and takes care of the players that make the sport great.[/QUOTE]

And there you have it!

Some people just don't respect authority figures. Is Goodell perfect,no? But he's not the big bad man that has ruined football like some people like to claim..He's ruined it so bad that nobody watches football anymore...:rolleyes:
    And if Goodell didn't emphasize changes to make the game safer, Congress was going to start to take steps to do so...

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4101870]I think he is an excellent Commissioner, who has no brought long term stability and labor peace to the NFL.

If you want to look at poor leadership, look no further than Major League Baseball. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Or the NBA - where the inmates are running the asylum...I applaud the NBA lockout...Hope it lasts all season.

Not a fan of Goodell at all.
    The new kickoff rule is another disappointment and definitely a wet blanket on the excitement of the game.

I was happy the here he changed the blow(graze) to the head rule but did not see that implemented last night.
    Will he have the teams where pink again for 25% of the regular season?

He even made a rule that cheerleaders can not be to close to opposing players because the players where distracted.

I do not think Goodell invented the idea of a rookie pay scale but I do give him a lot of credit for resolving the lockout

I love Goodell's tough conduct policy.

I was so tired of reading about all of these thugs committing crimes left and right before Goodell came along. I'm glad that he's holding players accountable for their behavior on and off the field. It is a necessary part of protecting the sports popularity.

Roger Goodell is 100x the commisioner Paul "biteless" Tagliabue was. Everytime I hear him eligible for the HOF I cringe....Goodell fixed Taliabues mistakes.

Do I think the KO rules are a little strict? Yes. But at the same time the game will adapt and new wrinkles will be implemented. Returns are a pretty dangerous event.

[QUOTE=Bombers;4101892]Not a fan of Goodell at all.
    The new kickoff rule is another disappointment and definitely a wet blanket on the excitement of the game.

I was happy the here he changed the blow(graze) to the head rule but did not see that implemented last night.
    Will he have the teams where pink again for 25% of the regular season?

He even made a rule that cheerleaders can not be to close to opposing players because the players where distracted.

I do not think Goodell invented the idea of a rookie pay scale but I do give him a lot of credit for resolving the lockout[/QUOTE]

I think the rules should be tweaked that the opening kickoff is "oldschool" and so is the opening kickoff of the 2nd half...I mean to start every game with a touchback? That's making it too much like baseball..and reviewing every TD? Seems a little silly..how about just the questionable ones?

[QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;4101900]I think the rules should be tweaked that the opening kickoff is "oldschool" and so is the opening kickoff of the 2nd half...I mean to start every game with a touchback? That's making it too much like baseball..and reviewing every TD? Seems a little silly..how about just the questionable ones?[/QUOTE]

Thats not a bad idea and thats what is pissing a lot of people off the lack of public hearings or knowledge on the different scenarios.

For example
    I do not like the new overtime rules and can't stand that they are only being implement and tested in the playoffs.

But what makes it worse is they come to this major rule change behind closed doors. Thats the final decision and its a little in your face.

[QUOTE=Bombers;4101918]Thats not a bad idea and thats what is pissing a lot of people off the lack of public hearings or knowledge on the different scenarios.

For example
    I do not like the new overtime rules and can't stand that they are only being implement and tested in the playoffs.

But what makes it worse is they come to this major rule change behind closed doors. Thats the final decision and its a little in your face.[/QUOTE]

well---it's their product...if you don't like it you can choose not to watch it...I know thats sounding like a butt, but it's the truth

BTW--it's the competition committee that proposes rule changes not the commish

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81edf9ff/article/competition-committee-says-safety-at-core-of-kickoff-proposal[/URL]

[QUOTE=C Mart;4101924]well---it's their product...if you don't like it you can choose not to watch it...I know thats sounding like a butt, but it's the truth

BTW--it's the competition committee that proposes rule changes not the commish

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81edf9ff/article/competition-committee-says-safety-at-core-of-kickoff-proposal[/URL][/QUOTE]
    No **** Sherlock.
    But I already understood I have a choice not to watch or to booooo the Cornish. Which is where the buck stops.
    I just pointed out some legitimate reasons why the commissioner is disliked other than the fines (Hard hits).
    I also gave props to commish for accomplishments such as resolving the lock out.
    I"m just not a brown nose like you that sticks there nose up his butt and sniffs all day not matter what he does.
    Last edited by Bombers; 08-13-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Clearly, the only thing to do is Fire Schotty!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Bombers;4101948]No **** Sherlock.
    But I already understood I have a choice not to watch or to booooo the Cornish. Which is where the buck stops.
    I just pointed out some legitimate reasons why the commissioner is disliked other than the fines (Hard hits).
    I also gave props to commish for accomplishments such as resolving the lock out.
    I"m just not a brown nose like you that sticks there nose up his butt and sniffs all day not matter what he does.[/QUOTE]

lol..priceless..enjoy your day

All League
    his handling of "spygate" was a joke..

quickly destroying all the evidence & slapping the pasts*/belichick on the wrists.. :mad:

belichick should have been suspended..

Veteran
    He's definately made it safer for Tom Brady.

Undrafted Free Agent
    His position is just like that of the President. Some people hate him, some people love him. Can't win over everyone. He has proved that the NFL front office is greedy and care little about their fans.

[QUOTE=jetgreen13;4101968]his handling of "spygate" was a joke..

quickly destroying all the evidence & slapping the pasts*/belichick on the wrists.. :mad:

belichick should have been suspended..[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree here (and not just as a Jets Homer).

There's no point to destroy evidence unless it's to protect the guilty. I can only conclude that there were playoff / SB tapes that would cast doubt on the legitimacy of the Patriot's win. As a consequence Goodell acted to protect the game (even if it legitimized Beli's cheating behavior).

Basically Goodell just wanted the whole thing to go away as fast as possible. That means it must have been pretty serious.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4101862]agreed! a leader can not be universally admired and respected. There is always a pundit willing to spew his venom.[/QUOTE]

Or conversely, willing to apologize for and/or dismiss his shortcomings.