Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA Today Quarterback Rankings

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

USA Today Quarterback Rankings

[QUOTE]NFL power rankings are a staple of any football season (especially in preseason), and USA TODAY's will be forthcoming later this month.

But ranking the most scrutinized players in the NFL -- quarterbacks -- can spark equally spirited debate.

So without further ado, The Huddle reveals its NFL QB power rankings, which are rooted heavily in each player's present circumstances. Even so, the man atop the list is sure to have his supporters ... and, doubtless, plenty of detractors:

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers: The reigning Super Bowl MVP is coming off one of the most remarkable postseason runs in recent memory. He's handled his business deftly on the field and off -- reference the way Rodgers navigated the local minefield when then-iconic Brett Favre was traded in 2008 -- can make plays with his head, arm and legs and is just 27. If you had to pick one guy to lead your team for the next decade, hard to argue against the man currently wearing the championship belt.

2. Tom Brady, Patriots: He's coming off his second league MVP campaign in the last four seasons. But he struggled in the playoffs, where he's lost his past three starts after seeming nearly bulletproof early in his career. Rodgers by a hair, as in Brady's now shorter locks.

3. Drew Brees, Saints: He's passed for 22,918 yards during his tenure in New Orleans, the most prolific five-year stretch in league history. Brees' leadership skills, accuracy and dedication are off the charts. And it takes a special guy to supplant Archie Manning as the most beloved player in franchise history.

4. Peyton Manning, Colts: Admittedly, ranking the four-time MVP this low doesn't feel right. But he's coming off a season slightly subpar by his ridiculously lofty standards and, more troubling, dealing with a surgically repaired neck at age 35 which throws a dent into what has been his nearly bulletproof persona.

5. Michael Vick, Eagles: Unlike the QBs listed in front of him (and a couple below him), he doesn't have a ring. What he does have is the scariest skill set of anyone (maybe ever) at the position and, now, the dedication and experience to maximize his gifts.

6. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: Seems he often creates stir, no matter the context, and that especially includes where to rank him on lists such as this. Never a classic pocket passer, but his unique ability has made him a winner even if (arguably) he may not be among the top three players on his defensively dominant team.

7. Philip Rivers, Chargers: He's weak on aesthetics, strong on results. He doesn't need to prove his toughness but does need to establish a Super Bowl pedigree to move up this list.

8. Matt Ryan, Falcons: Some of the Atlanta locals may still pine for Vick, but Ryan is well on his way to establishing himself as the best quarterback in franchise history. No playoff wins in his first three years is the minor knock against him.

9. Eli Manning, Giants: One word -- uneven. He's won a Super Bowl ... but 2007 aside, he's never won another postseason game; he threw for 31 TDs in 2010 but nearly as many INTs (25); his teammates seem to love him while the critics want to see more fire.

10. Joe Flacco, Ravens: A playoff quarterback in each of his three seasons, he's starting to settle in as the offensive catalyst.

[B]11. Mark Sanchez, Jets: The numbers aren't always pretty, but he steps it up come January.

12. Tony Romo, Cowboys: The numbers are usually pretty, but he steps in it come January.[/B]

13. Josh Freeman, Buccaneers: He's coming off a sterling (or is it pewter?) 2010 with 25 TDs (vs. 6 INTs) and could be primed to vault up the rankings with an encore 2011 that includes a postseason trip.

14. Sam Bradford, Rams: Quietly turned in one of the most impressive seasons ever for a rookie quarterback, falling a tiebreaker short of the NFC West crown. He's got as much upside as anyone in the league and is already the best at the position in his division.

15. Jay Cutler, Bears: He may have the biggest arm in the NFL ... and may also have the biggeset chance to replace Favre as the game's most maddening decision maker. Through five years, Cutler's passer rating is 84.3; Favre's career number is 86.0.

16. Matt Cassel, Chiefs: Blossomed into a Pro Bowler in 2010 on the strength of his stats (27 TDs, 7 INTs) and run to the AFC West title. He should have more aerial weapons at his disposal in 2011, which could help him start making a mark in postseason.

17. Matt Schaub, Texans: He's thrown for 9,140 yards and 53 TDs over the past two years while slaying the injury bug. But he's got to shake another dogging question now -- is he the guy to finally get Houston to the playoffs?

18. Matthew Stafford, Lions: He's provided intriguing flashes in his all-to-too brief appearances. If he stays upright, he's got the talent and supporting cast to to take off in 2011.

19. Kyle Orton, Broncos: His stats have rocketed upward in Denver, but his winning percentage has plummeted. He may be the best quarterback in the Mile High City right now, but will he be there at all in six months?

20. Kevin Kolb, Cardinals: Teammates from coast to coast rave about his demeanor. We'll soon see if he's actually got the game to justify the ransom Arizona paid to get him.

21. David Garrard, Jaguars: He was alternately hot and horrific in 2010. But durability has become a concern, and if he oversees another late-season implosion, expect to see Blaine Gabbert under center ... permanently.

22. Donovan McNabb, Vikings: He's got a lot to prove coming off a season that tarnished his resume. And he may not have long to re-establish himself with Christian Ponder waiting in the wings.

23. Matt Hasselbeck, Titans: We're clearly in the seat warmer section of the rankings. Hasselbeck comes off a strong playoff showing in Seattle but could remain healthy and efficient more often behind Tennessee's superior O-line. But does he have the weapons (or the time) to recapture his Pro Bowl form?

24. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills: He shouldn't be looking over his shoulder figuratively in 2011 after earning Chan Gailey's trust with a strong 2010. Literally, Fitzpatrick's head may be on a swivel given Buffalo's shaky offense.

25. Colt McCoy, Browns: Cleveland is all in with him after a decent rookie season. Whether he has enough help to succeed remains to be seen.

26. Jason Campbell, Raiders: Maybe Hue Jackson will show more faith in him than Tom Cable did. Still, even though Campbell retained his playbook for a change, he lost his only established target with TE Zach Miller's defection.

27. Tarvaris Jackson, Seahawks: He's finally got his long-sought opportunity to start and brings a familiarity with WR Sidney Rice and OC Darrell Bevell's playbook with him.

28. Cam Newton, Panthers: Too high given he's never played a down in the NFL? Maybe. But he should have job security and will step into an offense that actually has plenty of talent and newfound creativity under OC Rob Chudzinski, who will look to mold his attack to Newton's talents and comfort level.

29. Andy Dalton, Bengals: Another rookie, he seems to have the starting job already locked up. He's sure to struggle in the AFC North, but he's got some promising young helpers in WR A.J. Green and TE Jermaine Gresham.

30. Alex Smith, 49ers: He'll begin what seems like his annual audition for the job in San Francisco. But rookie Colin Kaepernick now seems to be the future by the Bay, especially with Smith playing on a one-year contract.

31. Chad Henne, Dolphins: Does he really have the confidence of the organization, much less the fans?

32. Rex Grossman, Redskins: He's currently No. 1 on the depth chart but will almost certainly play musical chairs with John Beck and Kellen Clemens this year ... while very likely ceding his seat to some hotshot rookie next year.

OK, have at it and discuss among yourselves.[/QUOTE]

The Sanchez/Romo comments are awesome :D

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/08/quarterback-power-rankings-aaron-rodgers-debuts-at-no-1/1[/url]

I LOVE that we have a QB who shines in the big spots. Of course, I want better numbers....but what he has, can't be taught.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll take a 48% completion percentage, 18 TD, 14 INT and 1 Super Bowl please.

Bewildered Beast
    When do we play PHI? Can't wait.

lol @ the Sheriff at 4, P.Mainning is the GOAT, kind of pathetic how underated he is

People sill trying putting Vick that high just have no clue what they are talking about. He has not proven to be an an elite NFL QB yet. The guy shows the 1st signs of being a real QB after 7 seasons and now he is all the sudden a top ten QB? What is this fantasy sports? Then Cutler should be up there too. BS. Others have actually had more then one flashy season to earn it. Big Ben has only won 2 SBs yeah and is only the most accurate QBs in the NFL right now. Yeah he hasn't proven way way more. Rivers needs a SB to move up but Vick doesn't? Last I check Rivers has won quite a lot in SD. Eli gets no respect at all so ok not real shocked there.

For that matter why do they think Cam has job security? Carolina is starting Clausen tomorrow and then bringing in Cam. He hasn't won a thing yet and is a project QB. How can they say that without even seeing him in a preseason game. Rex gets no respect here. Yeah he's never been in a SB and is old. Wait he was and he really isn't old. Not a great option but better then a rook that hasn't taken snap one or Alex Smith for that matter. Carolina should be last here easy IMO. It is DA, a rookie, or a 2nd year that wasn't all the impressive last year. Those are horrid options. At least the Bangles picked up a viable BU not last year worst QB in DA. I will admit I didn't seem to like that QB class half as much as the GMs of those teams did though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lets look at the ratings based on the only thing that really matters (postseason success) -- if we look at the two years Mark has been in the NFL

He's behind Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning -- period

[QUOTE=sg3;4101835]Lets look at the ratings based on the only thing that really matters (postseason success) -- if we look at the two years Mark has been in the NFL

He's behind Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning -- period[/QUOTE]

Which is why he is 11 and not 25th.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4101837]Which is why he is 11 and not 25th.[/QUOTE]

there goes our Dummie again

All League
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4101837]Which is why he is 11 and not 25th.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

All League
    [QUOTE=sg3;4101844]there goes our Dummie again[/QUOTE]

cmon sg....really, are you telling me with keller, holmes, edwards, great o-line, great running game, top 3 defense....all this that we have had over the last 2 years that guys like freeman, cassel, orton, bradford , romo, etc could not have had the same success??? yes he has stepped it up in the playoffs but he is downright awful at times and really is not that good.....the #'s dont lie.

take a look at freemans #'s and the team he has around him and compare it to SUCKCHIZE...its not even close.....all you can say is " well, he got us to the afc title game 2 yrs in a row" big f-ing deal...you could do that with this team!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DBAKE;4101858]cmon sg....really, are you telling me with keller, holmes, edwards, great o-line, great running game, top 3 defense....all this that we have had over the last 2 years that guys like freeman, cassel, orton, bradford , romo, etc could not have had the same success??? yes he has stepped it up in the playoffs but he is downright awful at times and really is not that good.....the #'s dont lie.

take a look at freemans #'s and the team he has around him and compare it to SUCKCHIZE...its not even close.....all you can say is " well, he got us to the afc title game 2 yrs in a row" big f-ing deal...you could do that with this team!!![/QUOTE]

the only number that counts is in the win column. Under sanchez we seem to win much more then we lose. Does a guy have to look "pretty" while playing QB to earn your praise?

Try to understand that his first two years the HC and OC took it very easy on him. True he had a great team surrounding him and he was not asked to do much. But with the game on the line, the guy comes through. While that apparently is not good enough for you, it is for me and the vast majority of FOOTBALL fans. His stats were not outstanding or "pretty" but the guy wins. Please let the record be noted that Freeman does not play NE twice a year nor does he even play a very tough schedule ! Sanchez does. and wins his share of big games!!!! Freeman is very talented but so is Sanchez. For me a winner is a guy who wins however way he can! Sanchez has demonstrated that time and again. This year I expect to see a large improvement in his QBing and I expect his winning ways to continue. GO JETS!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-13-2011 at 07:43 AM.

sanchez's career so far is ripe for good debate about what makes a good qb. is it purely stats? wins? playoff success? ability to win clutch games or make clutch throws under pressure? the ability to lift your teammates? what combo of these? is a 3rd and 8 conversion in the 1st quarter considered by qb rankings as valuable as the same conversion with 3 minutes left and your team is down by 4 on the opponent's 20 yd line?

[QUOTE=sg3;4101835]Lets look at the ratings based on the only thing that really matters (postseason success) -- if we look at the two years Mark has been in the NFL

He's behind Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning -- period[/QUOTE]

Rex Grossman got to a superbowl, Trent Dilfer won a super bowl, obviously better qb's than Sanchez eh?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4101829]People sill trying putting Vick that high just have no clue what they are talking about. He has not proven to be an an elite NFL QB yet. The guy shows the 1st signs of being a real QB after 7 seasons and now he is all the sudden a top ten QB? What is this fantasy sports? Then Cutler should be up there too. BS. Others have actually had more then one flashy season to earn it. Big Ben has only won 2 SBs yeah and is only the most accurate QBs in the NFL right now. Yeah he hasn't proven way way more. Rivers needs a SB to move up but Vick doesn't? Last I check Rivers has won quite a lot in SD. Eli gets no respect at all so ok not real shocked there.

For that matter why do they think Cam has job security? Carolina is starting Clausen tomorrow and then bringing in Cam. He hasn't won a thing yet and is a project QB. How can they say that without even seeing him in a preseason game. Rex gets no respect here. Yeah he's never been in a SB and is old. Wait he was and he really isn't old. Not a great option but better then a rook that hasn't taken snap one or Alex Smith for that matter. Carolina should be last here easy IMO. It is DA, a rookie, or a 2nd year that wasn't all the impressive last year. Those are horrid options. At least the Bangles picked up a viable BU not last year worst QB in DA. I will admit I didn't seem to like that QB class half as much as the GMs of those teams did though.[/QUOTE]

I think you're still dreaming. Maybe it's me. Is anyone else having trouble following this train of thought? Cutler should be up where? Philip Rivers is at number 7. How is he being disrespected? Eli had one playoff run otherwise he's been a disappointment. Big Ben is a very good solid QB but none of those guys is scaring anyone. Vick would keep you up at night if you had to gameplan against him. That's why he's up there. The rest of what you said would take hours to decipher.

All League
    I still would take Brady over Rodgers in a heartbeat. If you are talking about over the length of their remaining careers, then I consider Rodgers; but even then I would give great consideration to Brady (at least as Jets fan, with our "win-now" team).

All Pro
    This is about as good a list as I remember. Not too much to argue about. Looks like he thought about who he'd want to face if he was a d coordinator and didn't really go with numbers or popular opinion. Only thing with Vick is that quite frankly I think his career could be over in the blink of an eye at any time. I'm glad I'm not a fan, or God forbid his mother. I'd be watching with my eyes closed. I also think the league will figure him out pretty good eventually. Maybe after they see Rexy's game plan against him.
    Sanchez is pretty spot on. Anywhere from 9 to 12 depending on how much stock you put in the postseason numbers. Not the team wins but his performance in big games. I'll take Reggie over Winfield every time, and I think with maturity he'll get more consistent during he regular season and he'll move up the chart. He's still very young, and immature.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DBAKE;4101858]cmon sg....really, are you telling me with keller, holmes, edwards, great o-line, great running game, top 3 defense....all this that we have had over the last 2 years that guys like freeman, cassel, orton, bradford , romo, etc could not have had the same success??? yes he has stepped it up in the playoffs but he is downright awful at times and really is not that good.....the #'s dont lie.

take a look at freemans #'s and the team he has around him and compare it to SUCKCHIZE...its not even close.....all you can say is " well, he got us to the afc title game 2 yrs in a row" big f-ing deal...you could do that with this team!!![/QUOTE]

His playoff numbers are even better than Freemans regular season numbers. He's winning those playoff games for us not along for the ride. The numbers don't lie. Go be a Cowboy fan if you want.

hm i cant help it...i disagree...serious quesiton..take ALL of the "Jet" out of you..who do you want QB'ing your team? Eli Manning or Mark Sanchez?

Brady, New England
    Manning, Indianapolis
    Rodgers, Green Bay
    Rivers, San Diego
    Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh
    Brees, New Orleans
    Vick, Philadelphia
    Sanchez, New York (A)
    Schaub, Houston
    Flacco, Baltimore

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4101818]The Sanchez/Romo comments are awesome :D

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/08/quarterback-power-rankings-aaron-rodgers-debuts-at-no-1/1[/url]

[quote] 2. Tom Brady, Patriots: He's coming off his second league MVP campaign in the last four seasons. [b]But he struggled in the playoffs, where he's lost his past three starts after seeming nearly bulletproof early in his career.[/b] Rodgers by a hair, as in Brady's now shorter locks.[/quote] [/QUOTE]

Because they were cheating.:yes: