Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unproven

The Unproven

We are counting on these guys that have yet to prove themselves.

Mo
    Ellis
    Westerman
    Wilson
    Kurley
    Plaxico (after a 2 year layoff, he is unproven)
    McKnight

Thoughts?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... plax is in a diff category all by himself ...

... wilson & mcknight are about showing growth from year 1 to 2, westerman is about finally taking advantage of opportunity ...

... the rooks fall into "the unproven" at NFL level category ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4101966]... plax is in a diff category all by himself ...

... wilson & mcknight are about showing growth from year 1 to 2, westerman is about finally taking advantage of opportunity ...

... the rooks fall into "the unproven" at NFL level category ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

good way to look at it

All good teams have to rely on "unproven" guys to suceed.

Just last year

Clay Mathews in GB
    Pouncey in Pitt
    McCourty and the TE twins in NE

Just a few examples from very good teams.

Point being is teams dont have the luxury of having proven players at every single position. You have to trust the players you draft and UDFA you sign to fill in the blanks.

I'm optimistic for this year

[QUOTE=Tony Danza;4101989]All good teams have to rely on "unproven" guys to suceed.

Just last year

Clay Mathews in GB
    Pouncey in Pitt
    McCourty and the TE twins in NE

Just a few examples from very good teams.

Point being is teams dont have the luxury of having proven players at every single position. You have to trust the players you draft and UDFA you sign to fill in the blanks.

I'm optimistic for this year[/QUOTE]

Thats a good point, but is seven too many?

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;4101999]Thats a good point, but is seven too many?[/QUOTE]

Well were not really relying on all these guys to carry the load. All of the rookies are rotational guys for now and Plax is a veteran as well as Mason. If Plax turns out to be a bust it will hurt but Mason is still here and I cant think of too many teams that have a stud #2. Mason is more than adequate for that.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4101999]Thats a good point, but is seven too many?[/QUOTE]

no

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4101964]We are counting on these guys that have yet to prove themselves.

Mo
    Ellis
    Westerman
    Wilson
    Kurley
    McKnight

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

We're only hoping that 2 or 3 of those guys can start. We'll still be okay if none of them do, but this is a list of people that we have high hopes for.

Jets Insider VIP
    just about all 32 teams have unprovens on their roster every August

fortunately, thanks to Tanny most of our unprovens turn into provens by October

All Pro
    Mo is probably the only one that we NEED to perform - the others it will be a benefit of they do, but we can win without them playing well.

Mo, Westerman, Plaxico and to a lesser extent Wilson are going to see significant playing time. None of them are critical to the team being good, but their failure to contribute at a high level, could keep the Jets from being great.

If by "unproven" you are suggesting that the Jets are gambling the season on the success of a few individual, I don't believe that to be the case.

I have lots of thoughts, not many positive ones though unfortunately.

I hope I am dead wrong.

Everyone around us (namely NE MIA PIT SD BAL and even BUF slightly) have improved personnel. We have either stayed the same or regressed at certiain skill positions. Placing so many "if's" on a bunch of rookies and unprovens is risky, if not dangerous. It may all work out in the end, but we will not know until the real games start next month.

I honestly feel very nervous about this season and feel we could be in for a huge fall down. Like I said before, I hope I am wrong.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;4101964]We are counting on these guys that have yet to prove themselves.

Mo
    Ellis
    Westerman
    Wilson
    Kurley
    McKnight

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Isn't this true with every team, every year...

All League
    Well there are a few newbies that will have you convinced that Plax is a lock for the Pro Bowl so any discussion to the contrary is moot. Apparently, anyone who isn't convinced of Plax's obvious Pro Bowl status is a whiner and miserable.

So maybe if its not too late, you can can edit your original post so they don't hijack this thread too.

(please note the sarcasm in this entire post as it is not directed at anyone in particular).

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4102072]I have lots of thoughts, not many positive ones though unfortunately.

I hope I am dead wrong.

Everyone around us (namely NE MIA PIT SD BAL and even BUF slightly) have improved personnel. We have either stayed the same or regressed at certiain skill positions. Placing so many "if's" on a bunch of rookies and unprovens is risky, if not dangerous. It may all work out in the end, but we will not know until the real games start next month.

I honestly feel very nervous about this season and feel we could be in for a huge fall down. Like I said before, I hope I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

you think baltimore has upgraded their roster? It seems to me that they've lost a few pieces this year if anything

[QUOTE=pcola;4102244]Well there are a few newbies that will have you convinced that Plax is a lock for the Pro Bowl so any discussion to the contrary is moot. Apparently, anyone who isn't convinced of Plax's obvious Pro Bowl status is a whiner and miserable.

So maybe if its not too late, you can can edit your original post so they don't hijack this thread too.

(please note the sarcasm in this entire post as it is not directed at anyone in particular).[/QUOTE]

no it's mostly just you

All League
    [QUOTE=cant wait;4102249]no it's mostly just you[/QUOTE]

If my post doesn't pertain to you, why do you respond? I've been on this site for like ten years and have never had such a bunch of homers get their panties in a wad over a rational post that while commending the front office on all but a couple of moves questioned one move in particula, the Burress signing. But the trolls keep making Edwards the focal point. If you want be a troll and argue with everyone, go to a Pats or Dolphins board. I will now have you on ignore.

Bye troll.

I just can't wait for the bleating of 'It will take time for our QB and our oft injured old wr's to get on the same page.'

well here come the braylon boys...

All League
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4102256]I just can't wait for the bleating of 'It will take time for our QB and our oft injured old wr's to get on the same page.'[/QUOTE]

Why you got to be so negative? :D

I hope you're wrong but yes I too cant wait.:eek: