Thread: How much will Rex's maturation as a head coach improve us this year?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

How much will Rex's maturation as a head coach improve us this year?

Generally speaking, I think Rex really started to turn the corner as a coach towards the end of the year last year. He came into the league with concepts that worked very well until everyone caught up with what he was doing. Then, last year, things staggered defensively.

And then came the playoffs and Rex pulled game plans out of his ass that were so spot on and so different that what we had come to know. The guy out coached Beli for god's sake.

A lot of emphasis has been put on Sanchez and his ability to take the next step, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Rex's maturation.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... i think the blowout loss to the pats was him trying to venture outside of the principles he believed in ... the *$$ whooping it got us i believe helped him really look in the mirror at who he & what his team is ... seems like he grew from there ... especially in the playoffs vs. the pats ...

... i'm sure coming off that emotional high (from rex going all in ) from that game contributed to our defense's worst tackling 1/2 to open against pitt in the afc championship game ...

... love how rex is coming around & love how he's always put ALL of the pressure on himself & not his players :iwon: ...

l_j_r

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he needs to keep his mouth shut during the press conferences. Other than that, he is a great coach and everyone loves he and his brother.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jwmann2;4102024]I think he needs to keep his mouth shut during the press conferences. Other than that, he is a great coach and everyone loves he and his brother.[/QUOTE]

Really? you think he should keep his mouth shut when he talks...kinda like Belicheck?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4101998]... i think the blowout loss to the pats was him trying to venture outside of the principles he believed in ... the *$$ whooping it got us i believe helped him really look in the mirror at who he & what his team is ... seems like he grew from there ... especially in the playoffs vs. the pats ...

... i'm sure coming off that emotional high (from rex going all in ) from that game contributed to our defense's worst tackling 1/2 to open against pitt in the afc championship game ...

... love how rex is coming around & love how he's always put ALL of the pressure on himself & not his players :iwon: ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

+1 the playoffs showed me that Rex will do WHATEVER it takes to win, he set his ego aside for the pats game and played coverage and disguised the pressure to a tee. He outcoached Belicheck and that was easily his best game plan performance as a Head Coach.

Based on Rex's Guarantee and locking arms to win the superbowl this year (he never GUARANTEED it during his first two years) I expect to see more Gems from Rex this year. I just hope that with the Training Wheels off of Sanchez Shotty can do the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jwmann2;4102024]I think he needs to keep his mouth shut during the press conferences. Other than that, he is a great coach and everyone loves he and his brother.[/QUOTE]

so you think we would be better off with "It's a process`"We don't talk about injuries" instead??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/crazyeffinjetsfan/butthead.gif[/IMG]

huhhh huhh huh....He said maturation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

sticks n stones

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a question of whether he talks to much or if he is a good coach or not. We know both of those are fact.

The question is from an an X's and O's stand point, is he getting better year over year and how much of our success will attributed to it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the play-offs he showed he was willing to change his approach to the game when circumstances require it - changing up coverages and dropping lots of guys instead of blitz, blitz, blitz.

Hopefully we'll see more variation in his game planning this year too, so that opponents have a harder time working out what's going on.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious to see what his strategy is over the first few weeks. God just give me a football now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex's progress will continue, and he will find ways to put players in position to succeed. Rex may just become that "Great Head Coach" this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is fair to mention that he took over a team of Mangini guys, and now in his 3rd year he and Tanny have morphed the team into Rex's guys.

Point is that I feel there will be less of Rex tailoring his scheme to fit his players, as he has now tailored his players to fit his scheme.

So yes this along with his head coaching experience will make him a better coach this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4101998]... i think the blowout loss to the pats was him trying to venture outside of the principles he believed in ... the *$$ whooping it got us i believe helped him really look in the mirror at who he & what his team is ... seems like he grew from there ... especially in the playoffs vs. the pats ...

[B]... i'm sure coming off that emotional high (from rex going all in ) from that game contributed to our defense's worst tackling 1/2 to open against pitt in the afc championship game ... [/B]

... love how rex is coming around & [B]love how he's always put ALL of the pressure on himself & not his players[/B] :iwon: ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]spot on post sir..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa238/jessephatz/Obvious-troll-is-obvious.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    His gameplans in the playoffs were ridiculous. Out coached them all but just didn't have the players ready. That's his biggest problem I think he needs to get fixed. Controlling those high emotions after each game. You can build your team up for one game but you can't let them get spent like they did after the NE game going into Pittsburgh.

I think he knows that too, so hopefully he's learned from it.