Thread: Jets Captains - 2011

Jets Captains - 2011

Per Rex - his decision..

Sanchez
    Santonio
    Revis
    Pouha
    Eric Smith - ST

[url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/81311-Coach-Rex-Ryan-News-Conference/1398a9d6-42c4-47dd-aa0b-fac6ed0cbb2a[/url]

along with Sanchez, E. Smith (ST), Holmes (O), Revis (D) and Pouha (D) will be season captains. Not voted on, Rex chose them.

Pouha calls being named captain "a position of privilege," "an honor" to know team and coaches think of him that way.

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/JennyVrentas"]https://twitter.com/#!/JennyVrentas[/URL]

New captain Darrelle Revis said he wasn't sure why he was called into see Rex, compared it to going to principal's office

[url]https://twitter.com/#!/janesports[/url]

Rex told the captains individually their selection about an hour ago. Hasn't announced to the team yet

[url]https://twitter.com/#!/JennyVrentas[/url]

I'm glad that Pouha got one. Well deserved.

the coolest thing about this move is that there are very few teams on which being selected a captain by the head coach actually MEANS MORE and carries more weight than being elected by your teammates.

All League
    [QUOTE=greenbacker;4102073]the coolest thing about this move is that there are very few teams on which being selected a captain by the head coach actually MEANS MORE and [B]carries more weight than being elected by your teammates.[/B][/QUOTE]to be honest, i'm not sure rex selecting captains is better than the team voting themselves.. :hmm:

still, i would agree rex nailed every selection.. :yes:

I'm a bit disappointed Holmes got the nod over Mangold. That's not so much a knock on Holmes as it as appreciation of Mangold. The guy anchors one of (if not the best) o-lines in the league and rarely misses a snap. He's been around a lot longer too.

I'd rather not see the rest of our receivers take the lead of acting like a douche and putting on a show every time they make a first down either. Act like you've done it before.

I wonder what Rex's criteria for selecting the captains was. He's never named them for the entire season before, it used to be a per game thing.

All League
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4102099][B]I'm a bit disappointed Holmes got the nod over Mangold.[/B] That's not so much a knock on Holmes as it as appreciation of Mangold. The guy anchors one of (if not the best) o-lines in the league and rarely misses a snap. He's been around a lot longer too.

I'd rather not see the rest of our receivers take the lead of acting like a douche and putting on a show every time they make a first down either. Act like you've done it before.

I wonder what Rex's criteria for selecting the captains was. He's never named them for the entire season before, it used to be a per game thing.[/QUOTE]wow, i completely missed mangold not being selected.. :O

i would guess the holmes selection is about driving home the point to him he needs to be/remain (no more weed tone) a solid team leader & perhaps stroking holmes' ego a bit as well..

i wouldn't be shocked if he's said as much to mangold..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4102099]I'm a bit disappointed Holmes got the nod over Mangold. That's not so much a knock on Holmes as it as appreciation of Mangold. The guy anchors one of (if not the best) o-lines in the league and rarely misses a snap. He's been around a lot longer too.

I wonder what Rex's criteria for selecting the captains was. He's never named them for the entire season before, it used to be a per game thing.[/QUOTE]

Good poinrs.

I think its a Mangold vs. DBrick thing. Rex didnt want to pick one which would have been a slight to the other.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4102099]I'm a bit disappointed Holmes got the nod over Mangold. That's not so much a knock on Holmes as it as appreciation of Mangold. The guy anchors one of (if not the best) o-lines in the league and rarely misses a snap. He's been around a lot longer too.

I wonder what Rex's criteria for selecting the captains was. He's never named them for the entire season before, it used to be a per game thing.[/QUOTE]

+1 Mangold should have gotten the nod over Tone.

Tone is the most frightening Jets player on Offense

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex is the captain of the ship. He names the captains of the team.

[B]On why these captains? Rex said it was a combination of things...[/B] I paraphrased from various questions he answered..

1. He said it was people who lead from the front, it was people who lead in all facets... In the classroom, in the weight room, in practice, in game time situations...

2. He said it was people who exhibit leadership all the time, carry their teammates, do things right but also bring everyone else along (their teammates), it's people who are working with everyone, he said it's people who are building all of their teammates up...

3. People who have and exhibit confidence and pride, and confidence in each other...

4. He said it was people who meant a lot to the team and their units, too.

5. He said it was people who have stepped up the leadership in the face of losing some of the other veterans who have left.

6. He said it's people who are like extensions of their coach...

7. He said he picked all people who had been drafted Jets, except Holmes, who the organization hopes retires a Jet. In regards to Holmes, he said, "... and now he's one of us."

8. He said he feels it's "right and what he's noticed and he feels good about these guys" and he did say why not Mangold, why not Moore, why not Harris, why not Leohnard...? But... He said he watches these guys all the time, and thus his selections, and that's what he looks for in his leaders and captains. It sounds like Mangold or Moore would have been the other considerations on offense, per his comments?

I'm not going to lie-- Nobody can argue that picking Mangold would have made tons of sense. I would have been happy with that. But, having said that, I'm also happy with this, and honestly... The Holmes pick doesn't shock me at all given...

1. Tannenbaum's comments in his opening presser for this season on SNY, essentially saying without being prompted that Holmes is a great teammate etc., and then saying Holmes stays "right by Rex, look who will be by Rex.." when commenting about Tone.

2. Or given... Jimmy Leonhard was tweeting that Tone was a leader and that was why he was a Jet, and mentioning Tone coaching up the WRs before Tone could even practice. And teaching some of the guys how to run proper routes-- before he was supposed to be practicing.

3. Or given the fact that Kerley, McKnight, Campbell, etc. are all on record being thankful for Holmes' help, in the past couple of weeks. Kerley even called him Coach Holmes... And we're looking to grow our passing game, and nurture our youth at WR.

4. Or given in the Life of a Lockout, Tone can been seen in the background helping Scotty McKnight on his form when we didn't even know if Tone was returning...

5. Or given Rex's comments in his book about being closer to Tone at this stage than anyone else at this same point, or Rex's comments in the NFLN Top 100 piece, or Rex's comments to SNY about how he knew acquiring Tone was the right move when on a trip to CA during the first Jets West, he left Tone alone with his son (gave them lots of space at least) for the first time because he wanted to build trust with Tone, and he came back an hour later, and Tone's teaching his son all of this stuff about being a WR, and Tone and his son had to be told it was time to go, and Rex said it was a huge deal because he doesn't trust his son with just anyone... Or given Rex thinks Tone is a major talent on that side of the ball. Or given anything Rex has ever said about Holmes, honestly. Or given it's been reported multiple times by multiple beat writers that Rex stays in certain people's ears about setting certain tones, and Holmes has been one of those people so far this season.

6. Or given even the NYJets Twitter has tweeted multiple times indicating what a leader Tone has been... I think yesterday they even said "Holmes has really taken Rex's leadership challenge to heart" and that on the sidelines, Tone was gathering the WRs coaching them up, or something...

7. Or given the fact that Schotty and Ellard said last week over the Summer they'd planned for this, eventually, well currently, actually... They said they're going to be re-working the offense somewhat, expanding Holmes' role, and dropping a ton of new concepts on Holmes, all things they'll eventually implement... That they're also in the process, now that they have him signed, of teaching him all three WR positions in the scheme, instead of limiting the WR position he plays... Instead, they're going to eventually expect him to play all three WR positions interchangeably and if that means he needs to play the X, Y, or Z receiver on any given play, once they get it coached up, that's what they'll expect, and that's what he'll do, and they're all excited about that... And the fact that Schotty said on SNY everyone was waiting on word on if they were getting Holmes back, and when they found out Holmes was back, he said he and everyone else were running in the hallways of the building doing the "flight boy" as Schotty put it... Flying around the building emulating Tone, they were all so excited.

8. Or the fact that Sanchez came out and said last week, that Holmes was going to be his guy, Keller was going to be his guy, Kerley was going to be his guy... That these are going to be his guys for the long haul... And since we're handing the team over to Sanchez... Few players for the next however many years, will be as directly tied to the success Sanchez has, thus the team, than Holmes, Keller, Kerley...

9. Or given... Even though the fact that while some people might not like it-- Rex, has "his guys" and with some of them, he gravitates to people who can be an extension of him in terms of how bold they are, their swagger, outward displays of confidence... Bart and Tone are prime examples of that. And you look at the other captains, some of them, but not all of them are necessarily as vocal in certain ways, as say, as a Holmes type person. His more "in your face" personality traits may have a lot to do with why him and not some others. Especially given you have Rex saying... People who show confidence..

10. And again with the... Despite the fact that Rex says everyone is "his guy" now... Rex still has "HIS guys" who he pulls aside and stays in their ears and gets them to relay "his message" or execute "his message" without him having to say anything to the team at large... And even if there weren't articles, and direct quotes from people's mouths, and book quotes, saying, Tone is always by Rex, Rex is close to Tone, Rex pulled Holmes aside to tell him to make sure blah, blah, blah... Tone is one of those people.

Not shocked at all by the move, truly. The way Rex operates is usually pretty transparent. Especially when you also look at who "his guys" are, etc.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4102151]Rex is the captain of the ship. He names the captains of the team.[/QUOTE][center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/jetgreen13/avatar26197_4gif.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=boxman;4102052]I'm glad that Pouha got one. Well deserved.[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    I am certainly shocked that Holmes got the nod over Mangold. I know Brick and Moore might be deserving as well, but Mangold seems to have more natural leadership ability than those two.

Though, now that I think about it, I do remember Holmes during Hard Knocks hit-the-ground-running coaching McKnight up. He might have good leadership instincts, but I think a big part of this is giving Holmes greater responsibility so he doesn't f***-up off-the-field.

[QUOTE=lovethejets;4102164][B]On why these captains? Rex said it was a combination of things...[/B] I paraphrased from various questions he answered..

1. He said it was people who lead from the front, it was people who lead in all facets... In the classroom, in the weight room, in practice, in game time situations...

2. He said it was people who exhibit leadership all the time, carry their teammates, do things right but also bring everyone else along (their teammates), it's people who are working with everyone, he said it's people who are building all of their teammates up...

3. People who have and exhibit confidence and pride, and confidence in each other...

4. He said it was people who meant a lot to the team and their units, too.

5. He said it was people who have stepped up the leadership in the face of losing some of the other veterans who have left.

6. He said it's people who are like extensions of their coach...

7. He said he picked all people who had been drafted Jets, except Holmes, who the organization hopes retires a Jet. In regards to Holmes, he said, "... and now he's one of us."

8. He said he feels it's "right and what he's noticed and he feels good about these guys" and he did say why not Mangold, why not Moore, why not Harris, why not Leohnard...? But... He said he watches these guys all the time, and thus his selections, and that's what he looks for in his leaders and captains. It sounds like Mangold or Moore would have been the other considerations on offense, per his comments?

I'm not going to lie-- Nobody can argue that picking Mangold would have made tons of sense. I would have been happy with that. But, having said that, I'm also happy with this, and honestly... The Holmes pick doesn't shock me at all given...

1. Tannenbaum's comments in his opening presser for this season on SNY, essentially saying without being prompted that Holmes is a great teammate etc., and then saying Holmes stays "right by Rex, look who will be by Rex.." when commenting about Tone.

2. Or given... Jimmy Leonhard was tweeting that Tone was a leader and that was why he was a Jet, and mentioning Tone coaching up the WRs before Tone could even practice. And teaching some of the guys how to run proper routes-- before he was supposed to be practicing.

3. Or given the fact that Kerley, McKnight, Campbell, etc. are all on record being thankful for Holmes' help, in the past couple of weeks. Kerley even called him Coach Holmes... And we're looking to grow our passing game, and nurture our youth at WR.

4. Or given in the Life of a Lockout, Tone can been seen in the background helping Scotty McKnight on his form when we didn't even know if Tone was returning...

5. Or given Rex's comments in his book about being closer to Tone at this stage than anyone else at this same point, or Rex's comments in the NFLN Top 100 piece, or Rex's comments to SNY about how he knew acquiring Tone was the right move when on a trip to CA during the first Jets West, he left Tone alone with his son (gave them lots of space at least) for the first time because he wanted to build trust with Tone, and he came back an hour later, and Tone's teaching his son all of this stuff about being a WR, and Tone and his son had to be told it was time to go, and Rex said it was a huge deal because he doesn't trust his son with just anyone... Or given Rex thinks Tone is a major talent on that side of the ball. Or given anything Rex has ever said about Holmes, honestly. Or given it's been reported multiple times by multiple beat writers that Rex stays in certain people's ears about setting certain tones, and Holmes has been one of those people so far this season.

6. Or given even the NYJets Twitter has tweeted multiple times indicating what a leader Tone has been... I think yesterday they even said "Holmes has really taken Rex's leadership challenge to heart" and that on the sidelines, Tone was gathering the WRs coaching them up, or something...

7. Or given the fact that Schotty and Ellard said last week over the Summer they'd planned for this, eventually, well currently, actually... They said they're going to be re-working the offense somewhat, expanding Holmes' role, and dropping a ton of new concepts on Holmes, all things they'll eventually implement... That they're also in the process, now that they have him signed, of teaching him all three WR positions in the scheme, instead of limiting the WR position he plays... Instead, they're going to eventually expect him to play all three WR positions interchangeably and if that means he needs to play the X, Y, or Z receiver on any given play, once they get it coached up, that's what they'll expect, and that's what he'll do, and they're all excited about that... And the fact that Schotty said on SNY everyone was waiting on word on if they were getting Holmes back, and when they found out Holmes was back, he said he and everyone else were running in the hallways of the building doing the "flight boy" as Schotty put it... Flying around the building emulating Tone, they were all so excited.

8. Or the fact that Sanchez came out and said last week, that Holmes was going to be his guy, Keller was going to be his guy, Kerley was going to be his guy... That these are going to be his guys for the long haul... And since we're handing the team over to Sanchez... Few players for the next however many years, will be as directly tied to the success Sanchez has, thus the team, than Holmes, Keller, Kerley...

9. Or given... Even though the fact that while some people might not like it-- Rex, has "his guys" and with some of them, he gravitates to people who can be an extension of him in terms of how bold they are, their swagger, outward displays of confidence... Bart and Tone are prime examples of that. And you look at the other captains, some of them, but not all of them are necessarily as vocal in certain ways, as say, as a Holmes type person. His more "in your face" personality traits may have a lot to do with why him and not some others. Especially given you have Rex saying... People who show confidence..

10. And again with the... Despite the fact that Rex says everyone is "his guy" now... Rex still has "HIS guys" who he pulls aside and stays in their ears and gets them to relay "his message" or execute "his message" without him having to say anything to the team at large... And even if there weren't articles, and direct quotes from people's mouths, and book quotes, saying, Tone is always by Rex, Rex is close to Tone, Rex pulled Holmes aside to tell him to make sure blah, blah, blah... Tone is one of those people.

Not shocked at all by the move, truly. The way Rex operates is usually pretty transparent. Especially when you also look at who "his guys" are, etc.[/QUOTE]

Great post!!!

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4102291]I am certainly shocked that Holmes got the nod over Mangold. I know Brick and Moore might be deserving as well, but Mangold seems to have more natural leadership ability than those two.

Though, now that I think about it, I do remember Holmes during Hard Knocks hit-the-ground-running coaching McKnight up. He might have good leadership instincts, but I think a big part of this is giving Holmes greater responsibility so he doesn't f***-up off-the-field.[/QUOTE]
    That's what I thought too.

BTW am happy that Pouha was named a team captain, it's well deserved

All Pro
    Great post ltj!!

Very interesting that Pouha got it over Bart Scott.

I think Bart's a captain without needing the "C" on his chest. So Rex can highlight another great example young guys should emulate in Pouha, who wouldn't be recognized as much without the label of Captain.

Pouha is by all accounts the Anti-Sean Ellis, not trying to bash 92 but it was VERY interesting the comments that were reportedly made by players after he left such as him not practicing with great vigor and him being the only guy on defense who never really bought in fully to Rex's system. And I am glad he's gone because of that, he was a remnant of the old Jets, a cynical dark cloud era. Once BT is gone this team will have gotten rid of all the old remnants of that era.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=boxman;4102052]I'm glad that Pouha got one. Well deserved.[/QUOTE]

Speaks volumes that Bart Scott wasn't even considered.

SAR I