Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New kick off rules & preseason games so far

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

New kick off rules & preseason games so far

I was interested to see if the new kick off rules had had a big effect on the games we've seen so far.

Last year in preseason there were 114 touchbacks off of 611 kickoffs. So around 19% touchback rate.

This year, in the first ten games there have been 35 touchbacks off of 92 kickoffs. So around 38% touchback rate.

That's DOUBLE the touchback rate this year so far. I'd say that's a pretty big effect! I know it's early, but I'd be surprised if this changes that much by end of the preseason.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    so that means 62% of kickoffs will be returned. this is far from being eliminated.

last year 81% were returned.. this year 62% returned.. thats not as bad as everyone is making it out to be,,, if the numbers stay true.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;4102173]I was interested to see if the new kick off rules had had a big effect on the games we've seen so far.

Last year in preseason there were 114 touchbacks off of 611 kickoffs. So around 19% touchback rate.

This year, in the first ten games there have been 35 touchbacks off of 92 kickoffs. So around 38% touchback rate.

That's DOUBLE the touchback rate this year so far. I'd say that's a pretty big effect! I know it's early, but I'd be surprised if this changes that much by end of the preseason.[/QUOTE]

I also think we're seeing a lot of tinkering with this in the preseason that wont end up in the regular season. What I mean is more people taking it out of the endzone when they normally wouldn't, kicks purposely short to see who makes coverage teams ands things like that.

I think more than 50% of kickoffs will result in touchbacks this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsRdirty;4102190]so that means 62% of kickoffs will be returned. this is far from being eliminated.

last year 81% were returned.. this year 62% returned.. thats not as bad as everyone is making it out to be,,, if the numbers stay true.[/QUOTE]

These are essenially what Westghoff said in the WFAN interviw

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

What the NFL didn't calculate

We can expect nearly three times as many "touchbacks" this year. Sure there will be kick returns , however with the increase in touches to the "20" many kick offs that start a team off in good to great field position will also be missed.

Let me translate this for you- start from the 20 and you have to have an 80 yard drive. Start in better field position and the drive has a better chance that being backed up to your own end zone. I expect that shortly we will hear about the way scoring is down this year! ( you heard it here first).

If you want to keep this new rule ( I don't), then liberalize the touchback- instead of to the twenty make it to the 30 or 35! Teams will think twice before they boom it out of the end zone. Later for this abortion of one of the most exciting of ex-plays in football:huh::huh::huh:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetliner;4102420]We can expect nearly three times as many "touchbacks" this year. Sure there will be kick returns , however with the increase in touches to the "20" many kick offs that start a team off in good to great field position will also be missed.

Let me translate this for you- start from the 20 and you have to have an 80 yard drive. Start in better field position and the drive has a better chance that being backed up to your own end zone. I expect that shortly we will hear about the way scoring is down this year! ( you heard it here first).

If you want to keep this new rule ( I don't), then liberalize the touchback- instead of to the twenty make it to the 30 or 35! Teams will think twice before they boom it out of the end zone. Later for this abortion of one of the most exciting of ex-plays in football:huh::huh::huh:[/QUOTE]

the reason for the new rule is for saftey. they dont want 11 guys running 50 yards at full speed and hitting someone. they want to take it down a notch. making the touchback to the 30 would cause teams to not kick it out of the endzone, which would make the rule change pointless. that did it to cut back on injuries. so if there are 20% less returns, there will essentially be 20% less injuries that can take place during kickoff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are truly concerned about player safety on kickoffs, there are better ways to go about it than [U]dramatically altering[/U] that aspect of the game for only a [U]20% increase[/U] in player safety.

Is 20% more safety worth mitigating a huge advantage for some teams that have great returners, or great special teams coaches? You're taking a lot of variety and unpredictability from the game, for only a marginal safety gain.

Seems to me like the kind of thing they should go "all in" for, or not change at all. After all, where do we draw the line? What if QB's could wear a [B]giant marshmellow suit[/B] and be 35% safer from concussions, but they also couldn't throw the ball more than 30 yards. Is that worth it? Where do we make that distinction?

If safety on kickoffs is truly an issue then come up with a creative way to change kickoffs entirely to limit contact. But fixing something that's not broken by just awkwardly tweaking it is going to create a whole new set of competitive issues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4102193]I also think we're seeing a lot of tinkering with this in the preseason that wont end up in the regular season. What I mean is more people taking it out of the endzone when they normally wouldn't, kicks purposely short to see who makes coverage teams ands things like that.

I think more than 50% of kickoffs will result in touchbacks this year.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I just read that Chicago asked if they could kick off from the 30 instead of the 35, to test out their coverage units, and Buffalo were happy to have them do this.

But yeah, with important games on the line, I'm sure a lot of teams will play it safer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the new rule

Because the team I root for is GUARANTEED to have one of the three best DEFENSES in the NFL and I like the idea of our opponents having to go 80 on most of their drives on kickoffs after our many touchdowns and field goals this season

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't like the rule but agree that the better the defense the harder it will be for the offenses to drive 80

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for our D.

Bad for Sanchez having to go 80 on every drive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4102527]Good for our D.

Bad for Sanchez having to go 80 on every drive.[/QUOTE]

Defense wins Championships, you know:):)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4102528]Defense wins Championships, you know:):)[/QUOTE]

I heard that.....2wice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an interesting twist on this one from John Harbaugh on NFL.com ...

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821785ce/article/new-kickoff-rules-are-winning-few-fans-among-players-coaches-?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

[QUOTE]"We’re going to have to punch it down there because we need to train our guys to cover kicks," Harbaugh said. "We’re not going to go through the whole season kicking touchbacks. That would be foolish.

"When you're coming from the 35-yard line, you are on top of that returner. It is scary how fast you can be on top of that returner. [B]So, I think teams are going to try to pop it up inside the 10 and see if they can go smash the returner inside the 15.[/B] That will definitely be a strategy."
    [/QUOTE]

This could actually result in MORE injuries - the coverage guys basically get a 5 yard head start, and if the kicker drops it inside the 10 the returner will be forced to make a play on it.

Can you fair catch a kick off?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;4104008]Can you fair catch a kick off?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This also makes onsides kicks less risky from a field position standpoint, even if only by a few yards.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say I dig the giant marshmallow suit idea for player protection.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    in preseason you may have guys like kerley returning kicks from the end zone to try to make a team, or make an impression.

but in week 15, if you're going for a playoff spot, and you're in a close game, if it's cold, if there's snow, etc, i think the philosophy may be to not take those same chances.

now the weather is warm and there's really no consequence to returning it 5-7 yds out of the end zone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsRdirty;4102190]so that means 62% of kickoffs will be returned. this is far from being eliminated.

last year 81% were returned.. this year 62% returned.. thats not as bad as everyone is making it out to be,,, if the numbers stay true.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a misleading way of looking at it......I think the number of long returns are also going to be dramatically reduced, even on a proportional basis because you'll have less time as a blocking unit to set up your blocks, nevermind those kicks that are returned on average will be deeper back then they were previously. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the number of Kick Returns for Touchdowns around the entire league could be counted on one hand this year. There won't be many times where the returner gets out to midfield either for that matter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4104017]in preseason you may have guys like kerley returning kicks from the end zone to try to make a team, or make an impression.

but in week 15, if you're going for a playoff spot, and you're in a close game, if it's cold, if there's snow, etc, i think the philosophy may be to not take those same chances.

now the weather is warm and there's really no consequence to returning it 5-7 yds out of the end zone.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.

In the few preseason games I've watched so far, I saw several guys bring it out from 5-7 yards deep in the endzone - situations where you'd normally see someone take a knee. I chalked it up to guys trying to make the team. No reason to take a knee in a preseason game. The % of touchbacks will likely be higher in the regular season than in the preseason. Just as I'm sure the % of fair catches on punts is lower in the preseason.