Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Post office and Rural America

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

The Post office and Rural America

Interesting clip from the NewsHour. Enjoy

[URL="http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec11/postoffice_08-12.html"]http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec11/postoffice_08-12.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]

In addition to the more than 100,000 possible lay-offs that were just announced, many post offices are targeted to be closed.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Burger might not be able to count on that job much longer. His post office is one of 3,700 offices on a list being studied for possible closure in the next six to nine months.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In the mid-'60s, an antiquated post office management structure was collapsing under the weight of a vastly increased volume of mail. Postal rates were heavily subsidized by the taxpayers and the agency was hemorrhaging money.

In 1971, Congress voted to abolish the post office as a cabinet level agency and replace it with a self-supporting corporation wholly owned by the U.S. government.

But now, some 40 years later, the U.S. Postal Service is again facing some harsh economic realities. In the last five years, mail volume has declined 20 percent. And the biggest money maker, first class mail, is down 25 percent, most of it siphoned off by e-mail and online banking.

That leaves the Postal Service with a huge over capacity in a system originally built to handle a lot more mail.

[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Most americans I speak to would be happy with mail service 2 days a week.

WHAT A JOKE .....make no mistake, the rest of government is run this poorly.

ONLY here, they can't hide the numbers like they do with the other departments.

BLOATED, self entitled agencies full of clock watching, pension counters.:yes:

Well I happen to work for the Post Office. Their main problem they are always a step behind in just about anything. The unions don't help I am no longer a union member because they have a become a liability. They have more say in policy then mgmt. does. Plus they have the government by the neck with union money.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4102228]Most americans I speak to would be happy with mail service 2 days a week.

WHAT A JOKE .....make no mistake, the rest of government is run this poorly.

ONLY here, they can't hide the numbers like they do with the other departments.

BLOATED, self entitled agencies full of clock watching, pension counters.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Most Americans I speak to think that CPA's are pretentious freaks who probably should spend more time working instead of raging against the machine of internet football forum websites.

But then again....that's just most people I talk to.

I mean...for someone who works so many 32 hours days, 8 days a week, 14 months a year...it's amazing you have 9,000 posts here. My old man worked 6 days a week for 35 years...and you know how many internet message boards posts he has?

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4103089]Most Americans I speak to think that CPA's are pretentious freaks who probably should spend more time working instead of raging against the machine of internet football forum websites.

But then again....that's just most people I talk to.

I mean...for someone who works so many 32 hours days, 8 days a week, 14 months a year...it's amazing you have 9,000 posts here. My old man worked 6 days a week for 35 years...and you know how many internet message boards posts he has?

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LMFAO.....good stuff.

BUT...I don't live off of some taxpayer.:yes:

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103101]LMFAO.....good stuff.

BUT...I don't live off of some taxpayer.:yes:[/QUOTE]

I don't live off taxpayer either. You are free to mail your packages anywhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4103234]I don't live off taxpayer either. You are free to mail your packages anywhere.[/QUOTE]

True and many americans have spoken... 1st class mail is down 25 percent.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103101]LMFAO.....good stuff.

BUT...I don't live off of some taxpayer.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Yes you do.

Do you drive a car that is filled with taxpayer subsidized oil?

Yup. Then you live off of the taxpayers.

Do you drive your car on paved roads?

Then you live off of the taxpayer.

Stop being such a pretentious d*ck, bro. We get it. You hate anyone who isn't a CPA or doesn't know you in some fashion. MnJetFan MUST be a clock watching a-hole because CPA doesn't do his taxes.

Just because the PO is a bloated federal agency does NOT mean that every person working there is a scumbag as you have repeatedly pointed out...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103298]True and many americans have spoken... 1st class mail is down 25 percent.[/QUOTE]

25% from what/when?

Jesus, dude. You're a freaking accountant, you think you'd have a grasp on number thingies. You can't just say "WHGHARB!!! DOWN 25%!! WHARGHAR!!" without have another number to reference it from. That's how percentages work.

You could be pimping a natural male enhancer and tell everyone here that Pud Grow Deluxe made your member grow 75%!!! Of 2"? or 7"? :rolleyes:

And FWIW.... reducing mail service to 2 days a week will NOT go over very well with the strongest, voting block in the country. The same people who went to town hall meetings two summers ago screaming about Obama keeping his hands off of their Social Security.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4103324]

And FWIW.... reducing mail service to 2 days a week will NOT go over very well with the strongest, voting block in the country. The same people who went to town hall meetings two summers ago screaming about Obama keeping his hands off of their Social Security.[/QUOTE]

Understood.... so I have a GREAT idea. Lets lower postal rates and deliver twice a day. if losing 4 billion a year is no big deal, lets lose 8 billion.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103390]Understood.... so I have a GREAT idea. Lets lower postal rates and deliver twice a day. if losing 4 billion a year is no big deal, lets lose 8 billion.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't care less. I use email, as do millions of other people my age. Hence the 25% drop in first class mail. But it's not me you have to convince. You have to convince the same group of selfish f*ckwads who refuse to give up SS benefits to save money to also give up their postal service to save money.

Besides...you just have a vendetta against the PO. It's plain to see. Hence the absence of threads and posts from you decrying the government prop up of privately owned airlines or oil companies.

Also...didja know...the US handed FedEx and UPS over 1 billion in taxpayer subsidies last year f*cking alone?

I bet you didn't.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4103523]I couldn't care less. I use email, as do millions of other people my age. Hence the 25% drop in first class mail. But it's not me you have to convince. You have to convince the same group of selfish f*ckwads who refuse to give up SS benefits to save money to also give up their postal service to save money.

Besides...you just have a vendetta against the PO. It's plain to see. Hence the absence of threads and posts from you decrying the government prop up of privately owned airlines or oil companies.

Also...didja know...the US handed FedEx and UPS over 1 billion in taxpayer subsidies last year f*cking alone?

I bet you didn't.[/QUOTE]

I did not know...and I think that's wrong as well in general.

My vendetta is not against the PO per se, they are an example because they exemplify almost ALL government and produce a financial statement to PROVE government ineptness.

Book stores, publishers etc....are going under at a rapid pace due to the change in technology. The PO is soon to follow and it would have happened already if not for spineless congress.

BTW...most of my clients and friends are 50 to 70 and they all seem to agree with me. Who really needs mail service every day???

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103552]I did not know...and I think that's wrong as well in general.

My vendetta is not against the PO per se, they are an example because they exemplify almost ALL government and produce a financial statement to PROVE government ineptness.

Book stores, publishers etc....are going under at a rapid pace due to the change in technology. The PO is soon to follow and it would have happened already if not for spineless congress.

BTW...most of my clients and friends are 50 to 70 and they all seem to agree with me. Who really needs mail service every day???[/QUOTE]

Whoa. It seems PK has flipped out even again.
    Directionally, I agree with most of your PO concepts. 3-4 days might be a little better. Plus how about all those homes that still get front door delivery - Nassau/Westchester and places in NJ close in. Boxes at the curb with fewer foot postman. Some offices need to be closed/consolidated.
    I intend to get my Soc Sec at 66. I paid in and I want it. PK can always wait or even decline to take it.
    BTW, I appreciate CPAs. They save me money.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4103616]Whoa. It seems PK has flipped out even again.
    Directionally, I agree with most of your PO concepts. 3-4 days might be a little better. Plus how about all those homes that still get front door delivery - Nassau/Westchester and places in NJ close in. Boxes at the curb with fewer foot postman. Some offices need to be closed/consolidated.
    I intend to get my Soc Sec at 66. I paid in and I want it. PK can always wait or even decline to take it.
    BTW, I appreciate CPAs. They save me money.[/QUOTE]

The main reason they don't do it is the employees...what would all the highly skilled PO workforce do???? Would drive down the rates of fast food workers everywhere.:P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103653]The main reason they don't do it is the employees...what would all the highly skilled PO workforce do???? Would drive down the rates of fast food workers everywhere.:P[/QUOTE]

Ummm. What are you doing? Why are you posting? You have mouses to click and calculator buttons to push, don't you? Gotta figure out how your clients in North Carolina can deduct the cost of their meth labs from their tax liability :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4103811]Ummm. What are you doing? Why are you posting? You have mouses to click and calculator buttons to push, don't you? Gotta figure out how your clients in North Carolina can deduct the cost of their meth labs from their tax liability :P[/QUOTE]

Funny you ask...biz pretty slow right now. I have 2 good employees and I delegate to them so I can post on JI!:D

Again...i am not creating a burden on my neighbors with excessive benefit costs that are unsustainable!

All League
    Here are some things to consider:

When the telegraph was invented people predicted the death of the post office

When the telephone was invented people predicted the death of the post office

When the fax machine was invented people predicted the death of the post office

Now with the Internet and online banking and bill paying people are again predicting the death of the post office and they may be right.

But consider how easy it has been for “misguided youths” to hack into almost any database or computer network they want. And that knowledge and ability to hack into banks networks will soon be acquired by more “insidious” people. Maybe soon mailing a check to a po box in Delaware to a company with a closed network will seem like a wise way to conduct business.

PS

Sooner or later as more and more software is written and it becomes less expensive and more available there will be a smaller and smaller need for CPA’s.

Just a thought

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4103878]Here are some things to consider:

When the telegraph was invented people predicted the death of the post office

When the telephone was invented people predicted the death of the post office

When the fax machine was invented people predicted the death of the post office

Now with the Internet and online banking and bill paying people are again predicting the death of the post office and they may be right.

But consider how easy it has been for “misguided youths” to hack into almost any database or computer network they want. And that knowledge and ability to hack into banks networks will soon be acquired by more “insidious” people. Maybe soon mailing a check to a po box in Delaware to a company with a closed network will seem like a wise way to conduct business.

PS

[B]Sooner or later as more and more software is written and it becomes less expensive and more available there will be a smaller and smaller need for CPA’s. [/B]
    Just a thought[/QUOTE]

CAN'T WAIT!:yes:, I have considered that day and would simply do something else. I would NOT waste my neighbors money on something that clearly doesn't work.

All League
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4103917]CAN'T WAIT!:yes:, I have considered that day and would simply do something else. I would NOT waste my neighbors money on something that clearly doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

Good luck trying to find something else

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4103949]Good luck trying to find something else[/QUOTE]

I made a very nice living as an accountant well before I knew anything about taxes. Trust me, I have a Plan B.