Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Weatherford

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Weatherford

Why exactly did we let this guy go? He set the NFL record for most punts downed inside the 20 yardline in a single season, and was very good all of last year. It doesn't make sense to get rid of a guy that had as good of a punting season for the NYJ in their history, in favor of going with some totally unproven guys, imo.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    are you concerned he might come back to the Meadowlands and have a huge game against us in 2012?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    see 2011 playoffs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;4102375]are you concerned he might come back to the Meadowlands and have a huge game against us in 2012?[/QUOTE]

No, I'm worried about him on Christmas eve!

Punters have hurt us in the Meadowlands at certain times throughout the course of history, like last year when the Dolphins punter was hitting them 80 yards with no returns, and how about some of the games that the Chiefs punters have had against us over the years? in 07 Dustin Colquitt was putting on a punting clinic, and Dan Stryzinski was huge against us in 2002 and a couple of other times i think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;4102375]are you concerned he might come back to the Meadowlands and have a huge game against us in 2012?[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I opened this thread, but I'm sure that Giant fans are also scared to death of Plaxico.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was 23rd in average punt, 15th in Net Average last year. In 2009 those numbers were even worse (28th and 26th respectively). Basically, he wasn't anything special.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4102429]He was 23rd in average punt, 15th in Net Average last year. In 2009 those numbers were even worse (28th and 26th respectively). Basically, he wasn't anything special.[/QUOTE]

+1

Why did we get rid of Weatherford?

He wasn't very good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4102461]+1

Why did we get rid of Weatherford?

He wasn't very good.[/QUOTE]

last year we punted a lot from between midfield and our opponents 37 yardline ish, therefore average and net isn't so important as touchbacks. the guy set the all time friggin record for touchbacks in one season, and given the fact that he was punting from so far down the field, a high gross average isn't what's going to be important. not to mention that the guy has some serious wheels and is good for a few fake punt runs for first downs in key situations. it doesn't make any sense imo.
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 01-23-2012 at 02:52 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    To put it in SAT form:

Weatherford is to Westhoff as

Sean Ellis is to Rex Ryan as

Rain is to the picnic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    in the Midget first preseason game he was the second string punter BTW

I find this weatherford love quite amazing, though

go back and look at the dozens of "We need a new punter" "I'm worried about our Punter" and "Our Punter is a problem" from the same gloomers now madly in love with Weatherford

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4102522]in the Midget first preseason game he was the second string punter BTW

I find this weatherford love quite amazing, though

go back and look at the dozens of "We need a new punter" "I'm worried about our Punter" and "Our Punter is a problem" from the same gloomers now madly in love with Weatherford[/QUOTE]
    He was really good in the regular season, straight after that though he stunk up the joint and almost gave Westhoff a heart attack

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16;4102389]No, I'm worried about him on Christmas eve!

[/QUOTE]

Nothing scarier than an angry punter ...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;4102541]Nothing scarier than an angry punter ...[/QUOTE]

... truth!!! ... esp. if he grows a B.E. beard:eek: ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that Old Bugaboo is back....

Never Ever Underestimate the longterm damage which can be inflicted upon a franchise through the tendency to Overestimate the talent of players already on the Roster.

Why would anyone think Weatherford is so great? Did the world beat a path to his door after he was cut? Can you say, he was the reason the Jets won any one game during his time with the Jets? Was he even above average in the playoffs? Was he any good without Westhoff and the Jet's coverage unit?

As Bill Parcells was apt to say, "if you're not getting better, you're falling behind." Clearly, the Jets can get better at punter.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

LMAO

Weatherford never had a booming leg to begin with...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4102475]To put it in SAT form:

Weatherford is to Westhoff as

Sean Ellis is to Rex Ryan as

Rain is to the picnic.[/QUOTE]

LOL. SAT dropped analogies in 2004.

But the point is understood. :cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16;4102370]Why exactly did we let this guy go? He set the NFL record for most punts downed inside the 20 yardline in a single season, and was very good all of last year. It doesn't make sense to get rid of a guy that had as good of a punting season for the NYJ in their history, in favor of going with some totally unproven guys, imo.[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt that he will have a big game against us in 2015.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    he will probably have to have a much bigger game on Christmas Eve than will Conley/Bryan

simply because he will have to punt about 14 times whereas Conley/Bryan probably won't have to take off his warmups

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, does anyone here remember Weatherford running (on his own call) on a 4th and like 18 against GB?

I know Westoff did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's gonna be brutal