Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Listen to what McNally has to say about Hunter...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to what McNally has to say about Hunter...

[url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/McNally-Working-with-Jets-Tackles/d78242eb-58c6-45ef-9b92-3127d2f76420[/url]

That's impressive coming from a guy like McNally, it doesn't look like he's exxagerating about Hunter here, sounds like genuine praise to me. Rex was asked about the RT job between Hunter and Vlad and he didn't hesitate when he said it was Hunter's and this even before camp really started, then he went on to say that Hunter would become the best RT in football and I was like, oh no, here we go again, but now McNally is really hyping Hunter up. And please lets not call Vlad a bust, because the guy's upside is through the roof, let him sit and learn and get stronger, I think he has the highest upside of all the guys we have, let him learn the tackle position... but you know eventually he will move to guard.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This coming from the Jets.com propaganda machine? Think I'll take it with a grain of salt. Watched the video, sounds like a bit of optimistic praise. According to that website (and sometimes this one too) we are going to send 53 players to the Pro Bowl this year. Hunter is a nice tackle. Not every starter on this team is going to be the Best In The NFL At Their Position.

[img]http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/174868_159679874092042_2672520_n.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by Astoria; 08-14-2011 at 03:51 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read somewhere else that apparently Hunter is the most athletic of all the Jets O linemen including Brick. That's high praise indeed. Didn't really believe it at the time, but maybe there is something special about this dude.
    Still he'll have to work on the mental side of things, discipline eg his body language gave the game away so to speak against the Steelers last year when he played in Woody's place. It was either Harrison or Woodley who read the Jets intentions to pass rather than run so he rushed Sanchize and got the turnover.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4102534]Read somewhere else that apparently Hunter is the most athletic of all the Jets O linemen including Brick. That's high praise indeed. Didn't really believe it at the time, but maybe there is something special about this dude.
    Still he'll have to work on the mental side of things, discipline eg his body language gave the game away so to speak against the Steelers last year when he played in Woody's place. It was either Harrison or Woodley who read the Jets intentions to pass rather than run so he rushed Sanchize and got the turnover.[/QUOTE]

When he came out of Hawaii a few years ago, he was the most athletic lineman in that draft, he was raw and immature which is why he went in the third round. That's the same draft Miami drafted Wade Smith in the first round. Hunter has matured a great deal and he looks like a beast. This is not some UDFA that came out of nowhere, he had a legit first round grade coming out but he slipped, so I do not take McNally'c comments lightly at all, he doesn't seem like the kind to bullsht people. Of course now Hunter needs to take it to the next level, he can't rest on his laurels.

Sometimes it takes a while for a talented player to mature, these projects pay off way down the line, Wade Smith is still playing and is much better now.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 08-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember Mike Mayock breaking down Wayne Hunter last year and he had the same praise about his footwork. He said he was shocked at how well Hunter played when he took over for Big Wood.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very excited about having him here the next few years. Really thought this was an excellent signing.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a big Hunter fan since I saw him fill in for Woody last year. He stepped up when we needed him to. I don't need Jim McNally to tell me that he has what it takes to be a good player, I know he does. But that kind of reinforcement certainly doesn't hurt.