Thread: Brunell Dislocates Finger - Out for Monday

All Pro

Brunell Dislocates Finger - Out for Monday

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82174950/article/brunells-finger-injury-to-give-added-playing-time-to-mcelroy?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

New York Jets backup quarterback Mark Brunell dislocated his finger on Saturday and is not expected to play in Monday's preseason opener against the Houston Texans, the New York Daily News reported.

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

Starter Mark Sanchez is expected to play no more than a quarter, likely leaving rookie Greg McElroy -- drafted in the seventh round out of Alabama -- with most of the playing time.

Brunell, 40, came to the Jets last season and served as a mentor to Sanchez. A three-time Pro Bowl selection in 18 NFL seasons, Brunell played in two games for New York last season and threw for 117 yards and two touchdowns. He won a Super Bowl championship as Drew Brees' backup in New Orleans in 2009.

The Jets released the veteran on July 29, but brought him back at a reduced salary. Brunell made news in the offseason when he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

[QUOTE=David Harris;4102740][url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82174950/article/brunells-finger-injury-to-give-added-playing-time-to-mcelroy?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

New York Jets backup quarterback Mark Brunell dislocated his finger on Saturday and is not expected to play in Monday's preseason opener against the Houston Texans, the New York Daily News reported.

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

Starter Mark Sanchez is expected to play no more than a quarter, likely leaving rookie Greg McElroy -- drafted in the seventh round out of Alabama -- with most of the playing time.

Brunell, 40, came to the Jets last season and served as a mentor to Sanchez. A three-time Pro Bowl selection in 18 NFL seasons, Brunell played in two games for New York last season and threw for 117 yards and two touchdowns. He won a Super Bowl championship as Drew Brees' backup in New Orleans in 2009.

The Jets released the veteran on July 29, but brought him back at a reduced salary. Brunell made news in the offseason when he filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.[/QUOTE]

This is a good thing in a way. We'll get to watch Greg McElroy a lot. Hopefully, he knows enough of the playbook to survive the last three quarters.

All League
    Wow did not know he filed for bankruptcy this year.

All Pro
    Didnt he file after he won the superbowl with the Saints?

All League
    While I am very glad that McElroy will get a lot of playing time, I am a little concerned about how long Houston will play their staters on defense.

They are going through a major change and I originally assumed their D starters would play longer than usual because the front 7 are playing new positions.

Add the fact that Mangold and Moore aren't going to play, I hope our 2nd and 3rd stringers can hold their own.

The only hope is that we see a heavy dose of McKnight and Powell.

All Pro
    Osteoporosis sucks. :D

I have no idea why the Jets brass kept this fossil on the Jets roster.
    We only have one other QB & he's a rookie to boot.

Should the Jets need a backup QB for a couple games this year (ie.concussion for Sanchez) we are royally screwed.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pcola;4102753]While I am very glad that McElroy will get a lot of playing time, I am a little concerned about how long Houston will play their staters on defense.

They are going through a major change and I originally assumed their D starters would play longer than usual because the front 7 are playing new positions.

Add the fact that Mangold and Moore aren't going to play, I hope our 2nd and 3rd stringers can hold their own.

The only hope is that we see a heavy dose of McKnight and Powell.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, hopefully we don't get the kid killed out there.

Definitely looking forward to seeing Powell in green and white. :yes:

Honestly, I'd rather see McElroy get the reps anyways so we can see what the kid can do. Brunell isn't getting anything from playing in a 1st preseason game.

3 rd STRING QUARTERBACKS

[QUOTE=jetster;4102777]I have no idea why the Jets brass kept this fossil on the Jets roster.
    We only have one other QB & he's a rookie to boot.

Should the Jets need a backup QB for a couple games this year (ie.concussion for Sanchez) we are royally screwed.[/QUOTE]

-- BUT, Pennington and Browning Nagle are available at reduced rates.

All Pro
    First Plax and now Brunell. I knew it was risky counting on these old people. I'm giving up on the season and hoping we get the first pick in the draft.

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4102806]First Plax and now Brunell. I knew it was risky counting on these old people. I'm giving up on the season and hoping we get the first pick in the draft.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.nefga.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26369&d=1306899210[/IMG]