Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston still the Ghost?

Practice Squad

Gholston still the Ghost?

Out of curiosity I went to check the stats on the Chicago Buffalo game. Gholston did not even show up as having a tackle much less a sack out of about 20 different people that registered some statistic in the game for the Bears. I then went to the Bears discussion board and proceeded to find 0 threads about Gholston since he was signed at the end of last month except for one reference in one thread that said he was having a disappointing camp so far. I don't know if he even played yesterday but it certainly isn't looking good based on the lack of any information that can be found on the guy. Anyway hear anything else?
    Last edited by JetPort; 08-14-2011 at 12:52 PM.

He's not a football player, he just plays one on TV.

[QUOTE=JetPort;4102750]Out of curiosity I went to check the stats on the Chicago Buffalo game. Gholston did not even show up as having a tackle much less a sack out of about 20 different people that registered some statistic in the game for the Bears. I then went to the Bears discussion board and proceeded to find 0 threads about Gholston since he was signed at the end of last month except for one reference in one thread that said he was having a disappointing camp so far. I don't know if he even played yesterday but it certainly isn't looking good based on the lack of any information that can be found on the guy. Anyway hear anything else?[/QUOTE]

I LOLed because i checked the stats and almost started this thread about an hour ago.

Except for the once a year thread about the all time Jet busts and woulda, coulda, shoulda picks in the draft that we should taken instead, I would be very content not ever hearing this piece of crap's name again!

All League
    7. A defensive lineman the Bears need to see more from, particularly if Wootton is out for any extended period of time, is Vernon Gholston. He was signed to a $1 million, one-year contract, which included a $250,000 signing bonus.

Gholston hasn’t shown a lot in training camp and didn’t make much noise in the game when he replaced Peppers early in the first quarter. The idea is that by allowing him to focus on playing with his hand in the dirt, he’ll be able to excel where he struggled with the New York Jets in a variety of roles.

“It felt pretty good, new playbook, learning new plays,” Gholston said. “We went vs. a team I am familiar with. Honestly, with the Jets we did a lot of different things. There was a lot of variation. Here, I have a more focused role playing defensive end as opposed to being all over the place. When you have just a couple things to lock in on, obviously I have my role on teams, you are able to focus on that and be a better player.”

Gholston knows he has to step up if he wants to stick.

“They didn’t guarantee me nothing,” he said before it was pointed out he got $250,000. “I’ve seen people leave with more than that. Me, it was just coming in and I had a great feel and a chance to be a part of something great.”
    [url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-things-to-take-from-bears-preseason-win-20110814,0,4638619.story?page=2[/url]

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Dynamic Hip Screw;4102758]Except for the once a year thread about the all time Jet busts and woulda, coulda, shoulda picks in the draft that we should taken instead, I would be very content not ever hearing this piece of crap's name again![/QUOTE]

I guess I'm just morbidly curious now that he's someone elses problem

All Pro
    It's funny - i was just about to start a thread for this...

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="4"]Bears DE Vernon Gholston "hasn’t shown a lot" in training camp[/SIZE][/B].
    He was similarly invisible in the Bears' preseason opener on Saturday. The epic 2008 draft bust will get a few more chances to prove himself at defensive end in the Bears' 4-3 defense, but the odds he makes the roster are low.
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4102760]7. A defensive lineman the Bears need to see more from, particularly if Wootton is out for any extended period of time, is Vernon Gholston. He was signed to a $1 million, one-year contract, which included a $250,000 signing bonus.

Gholston hasn’t shown a lot in training camp and didn’t make much noise in the game when he replaced Peppers early in the first quarter. The idea is that by allowing him to focus on playing with his hand in the dirt, he’ll be able to excel where he struggled with the New York Jets in a variety of roles.

“It felt pretty good, new playbook, learning new plays,” Gholston said. “We went vs. a team I am familiar with. Honestly, with the Jets we did a lot of different things. There was a lot of variation. Here, I have a more focused role playing defensive end as opposed to being all over the place. When you have just a couple things to lock in on, obviously I have my role on teams, you are able to focus on that and be a better player.”

Gholston knows he has to step up if he wants to stick.

[B]“They didn’t guarantee me nothing,[/B]” he said before it was pointed out he got $250,000. “I’ve seen people leave with more than that. Me, it was just coming in and I had a great feel and a chance to be a part of something great.”
    [url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-things-to-take-from-bears-preseason-win-20110814,0,4638619.story?page=2[/url][/QUOTE]

Double negative. They obviously guaranteed him something. Oh snap!

[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-the-wide-receivers-stood-out-at-Bears-camp.html[/url]

- The Bears aren’t tied to former first-round pick Vernon Gholston and I wouldn’t expect him on the roster to start the season. Wasn’t explosive off the ball and didn’t show the ability to win with his hands at the point of attack.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4102799][url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-the-wide-receivers-stood-out-at-Bears-camp.html[/url]

- The Bears aren’t tied to former first-round pick Vernon Gholston and I wouldn’t expect him on the roster to start the season. Wasn’t explosive off the ball and didn’t show the ability to win with his hands at the point of attack.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, what happened to this player?

How could Gholston "bust" this badly?

Separating players who had injury, drug or legal problems, has there ever been a player in any sport that was so highly regarded, and then did nothing at the next level?

All League
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4102911]Seriously, what happened to this player?

Separating players who had injury, drug or legal problems, has there ever been a player in any sport that was so highly regarded, and then did nothing at the next level?[/QUOTE]

Ryan Leaf comes to mind, not sure if his drug problem falls into your criteria though.

[QUOTE=Bocajetfan68;4102923]Ryan Leaf comes to mind, not sure if his drug problem falls into your criteria though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding Boca, this story fascinates me from a sports point of view. I love following all drafts, not just the NFL. I find the case of Vernon Gholston to be the most extreme. I thought of Ryan Leaf as well but at the very least, Leaf has thrown an NFL TD. He probably has a few wins under his belt as a starting QB. Maybe even a few average to good games. Vernon Gholston on the other hand has done nothing. No sacks, so few tackles, not one "big" play. Its actually not believable that a player regarded so highly by intelligent scouts and knowledgeable fans could do as poorly as Vernon Gholston. I mean think about, he is healthy, seems to have his head on straight, how could he be this bad?
    Last edited by copernicus; 08-14-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ghost has about 2 weeks left in his nfl career. Then we never have to hear about this bust again.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4102911]Seriously, what happened to this player?

Separating players who had injury, drug or legal problems, has there ever been a player in any sport that was so highly regarded, and then did nothing at the next level?[/QUOTE]

he really rates as one of the most colossal top pick busts of all time. No drugs, no legal issues, no illnesses. Yet he contributed absolutely nothing. Blair Thomas contributed far more as did Lam Jones. This guy.... nothing.

All League
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4102933]Thanks for responding Boca, this story fascinates me from a sports point of view. I love following all drafts, not just the NFL. I find the case of Vernon Gholston to be the most extreme. I thought of Ryan Leaf as well but at the very least, Leaf has thrown an NFL TD. He probably has a few wins under his belt as a starting QB. Maybe even a few average to good games. Vernon Gholston on the other hand has done nothing. No sacks, so few tackles, not one "big" play. Its actually not believable that a player regarded so highly by intelligent scouts and knowledgeable fans could do as poorly as Vernon Gholston. I mean think about, he is healthy, seems to have his head on straight, how could he be this bad?[/QUOTE]

Heart for the game is difficult to measure. Many are unable to walk the walk once they get a big payday. Vernon talked a good game (Desire) but did he realy put in the work with the Jets to excell. Only he and the Coaching staff realy know that answer. We only got to see the results of his efferts on the field not how much effert he put into those results. As for Leaf his results showed a lack of desire to excell at the NFL level once he got that payday.

[QUOTE=Dcat;4102945]he really rates as one of the most colossal top pick busts of all time. No drugs, no legal issues, no illnesses. Yet he contributed absolutely nothing. Blair Thomas contributed far more as did Lam Jones. This guy.... nothing.[/QUOTE]

+1 and thanks for the response. My point exactly. Blair Thomas contributed and is considered a bust, same as Lam Jones. Gholston has so few tackles and no impact or even "good" plays. Just crazy

[QUOTE=Bocajetfan68;4102946]Heart for the game is difficult to measure. Many are unable to walk the walk once they get a big payday. Vernon talked a good game (Desire) but did he realy put in the work with the Jets to excell. Only he and the Coaching staff realy know that answer. We only got to see the results of his efferts on the field not how much effert he put into those results. As for Leaf his results showed a lack of desire to excell at the NFL level once he got that payday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the response. What a waste of talent if this is the case.............

Veteran
    What is amazing is that he earned another million + bonus without actually having done anything at all. This guy is going to end up making more money than 10 average Joe's do in their lifetime, combined, without having done ANYTHING. Gholston is the soul reason I went with the Owners on the rookie salary cap issue.

Funny Story

Here is a funny story.

The training camp after Gholston's rookie year, I hear a kid yell to Gholston, "Vernon, when will you get your first sack?". I don't condone this stuff,but it wasn't my kid and I was just watching. Anyway, Gholston ignores it, but Dustin Keller hears it and gets POed and says back to the kid "when are you going to make your first million?" It shut the kid up pretty good.

However, now it looks like the kid will earn that million before Gholston gets a pro sack, unless Gholston signs with the Arena League.

The Bears gave him a $250K signing bonus? Why??? What a waste of $250K