Thread: Sept. 11th can't come fast enough

Sept. 11th can't come fast enough

Pre- season football blows & the only good thing about it is seeing young players perform & get some much needed reps.

That's why I want to start looking ahead to the opener.
    While last years opener was disheartening to say the least, there were many factors in that game that had the Jets a shell of what they could have been to start the season.
    1- Revis had no training camp at all! Dude was rusty as hell.
    2- Because of Revis rust, Kyle Wilson was thrust into roles that he was clearly not ready for & was burnt over & over again.
    3- No Santonio.
    3- No Pace.
    4- Jenkins goes down in the 1st quarter. Nothing worse than losing an important cog at the end of the 1st quarter of play for the game & later after MRI, the season.
    5- No Pool- Jets were playing with only Smith, Leonard & Digs I believe.

So, even though last seasons opener is viewed negatively & rightly so, there were MANY factors that were in play.
    If the Jets take the field on Sept.11th with a FULL compliment of players, this 2011 team will be a freaking handful for the Cowboys to deal with.

Rex & Pettines 3rd year (This is huge, like players in their 3rd year, teams generally start to really "GET IT" in year 3)

Healthy Pace & Revis, sprinkle in the youth & speed of Wilkerson, Revis & Cro in their 2nd year together, Pool who played very well at the end of last year, the addition of Ropati (Romo will have a hard time sidearming around his wing span), & a speedier Westerman used as a designated rusher, I'm sure is giving Rex that Cheshire cat smile when it comes to his defense.

On offense the difference will be huge compared to last years opener.
    Santonio is back (Guy is a LEGIT, top 10 wideout in this league)
    Keller (3rd year- bulked up to 257, same speed) Tom Moore will work wonders for Dustin, I honestly believe that using the TE & spacing of receivers is Shottenheimers biggest weakness. Moore will help.

Shonn Greene starting at tailback. Last year it was LT. I've always felt it's better to wear a defense down with POWER & then unleash the speed guys (LT & McKnight) when the opposing D has lost that 1st waive of andrenalin.

Speed in the slot- Though Jericho Cotchery was a hard working Jet, the guy just could not get any separation anymore. What better player to teach Kerley the ropes than Mason! While Mason is 37 he still is a great route runner with strong hands & has NEVER been a 3rd OPTION in any offense.

Continuity on the Oline- Slausons 1st game as a starter in the NFL came vs Ngata, Lewis, Suggs ect.

To think that the Jets will be starting the same offensive line that ended the season & that Wayne Hunter gets an entire camp with McNally as a starter after getting stronger is pretty damn exciting, (Woody, though servicable was really getting long in the tooth).

The Cowboys are very weak in the secondary & the fact that they may not even have Newman in the opener screams for Shotty to go for the throat early on & test them on playaction early & often.

When I look at that matchup trying to stop Tone- Plax- Mason- Keller- Kerley & LT out of the backfield it is a total MISMATCH. The biggest mismatch of this game. Shotty & Rex better have the balls to take advantage of it. If the Jets jump on the Cowboys early & put them in must pass situations, the crowd noise will be deafening allowing our blitzes to be even more fast & furious.

If I was a fan of the Cowboys, I wouldn't be too happy about Romo starting his 1st game after a collarbone injury vs the NY Jets @ the Meadowlands.
    Last edited by jetster; 08-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Unfortunate choice of date . . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I am actually looking forward to sitting down in front of the tube tomorrow night with the Jets roster in hand and watching the UDFA's, 2nd & 3rd stringers play, to see who stands out - and who doesn't.

And you can thank the NFL for the date of the opener, the Jets had no say-so in it.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-14-2011 at 02:33 PM.

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4102844]Unfortunate choice of date . . . .[/QUOTE]

Wow, didn't even look at it that way.
    But the truth is life goes on & our opening day is Sept.11th. That doesn't diminish the fact that all of us pray for the victims & their families of that tragic day.

[QUOTE=jetster;4102857]Wow, didn't even look at it that way.
    But the truth is life goes on & our opening day is Sept.11th. That doesn't diminish the fact that all of us pray for the victims & their families of that tragic day.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Practice Squad
    As much as I agree with you and cant wait for "real football" to come, I do enjoy watching positional battles, especially this year at WR. I really hope Scotty McKnight makes the team and I hope Kerley is the beast everyone is making him out to be. Logan Payne and the other 6'5 guy should be fun to watch. Also Patrick Turner is fighting for that 5th spot.

Also Madden hasnt come out yet to make this month go Faster.

All League

I thought it was intentional.

[QUOTE=stanner;4102870]I thought it was intentional.[/QUOTE]
    It's just the first Sunday after labor day.

All League
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4102876]It's just the first Sunday after labor day.[/QUOTE]

i mean i remember some talk about both ny teams playing each other that day, or ny vs america's team in ny, or something.

maybe i'm crazy.

[QUOTE=stanner;4103103]i mean i remember some talk about both ny teams playing each other that day, or ny vs america's team in ny, or something.

maybe i'm crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yea people talked about it, but the nfl starts the season the Sunday after labor day every year. This year happens to be 9-11.

It's a great day in the respect that all of America will honor those lost via the NFL.

[QUOTE=jetster;4102840]Pre- season football blows & the only good thing about it is seeing young players perform & get some much needed reps.

That's why I want to start looking ahead to the opener.
    While last years opener was disheartening to say the least, there were many factors in that game that had the Jets a shell of what they could have been to start the season.
    1- Revis had no training camp at all! Dude was rusty as hell.
    2- Because of Revis rust, Kyle Wilson was thrust into roles that he was clearly not ready for & was burnt over & over again.
    3- No Santonio.
    3- No Pace.
    4- Jenkins goes down in the 1st quarter. Nothing worse than losing an important cog at the end of the 1st quarter of play for the game & later after MRI, the season.
    5- No Pool- Jets were playing with only Smith, Leonard & Digs I believe.

So, even though last seasons opener is viewed negatively & rightly so, there were MANY factors that were in play.
    If the Jets take the field on Sept.11th with a FULL compliment of players, this 2011 team will be a freaking handful for the Cowboys to deal with.

Rex & Pettines 3rd year (This is huge, like players in their 3rd year, teams generally start to really "GET IT" in year 3)

Healthy Pace & Revis, sprinkle in the youth & speed of Wilkerson, Revis & Cro in their 2nd year together, Pool who played very well at the end of last year, the addition of Ropati (Romo will have a hard time sidearming around his wing span), & a speedier Westerman used as a designated rusher, I'm sure is giving Rex that Cheshire cat smile when it comes to his defense.

On offense the difference will be huge compared to last years opener.
    Santonio is back (Guy is a LEGIT, top 10 wideout in this league)
    Keller (3rd year- bulked up to 257, same speed) Tom Moore will work wonders for Dustin, I honestly believe that using the TE & spacing of receivers is Shottenheimers biggest weakness. Moore will help.

Shonn Greene starting at tailback. Last year it was LT. I've always felt it's better to wear a defense down with POWER & then unleash the speed guys (LT & McKnight) when the opposing D has lost that 1st waive of andrenalin.

Speed in the slot- Though Jericho Cotchery was a hard working Jet, the guy just could not get any separation anymore. What better player to teach Kerley the ropes than Mason! While Mason is 37 he still is a great route runner with strong hands & has NEVER been a 3rd OPTION in any offense.

Continuity on the Oline- Slausons 1st game as a starter in the NFL came vs Ngata, Lewis, Suggs ect.

To think that the Jets will be starting the same offensive line that ended the season & that Wayne Hunter gets an entire camp with McNally as a starter after getting stronger is pretty damn exciting, (Woody, though servicable was really getting long in the tooth).

The Cowboys are very weak in the secondary & the fact that they may not even have Newman in the opener screams for Shotty to go for the throat early on & test them on playaction early & often.

When I look at that matchup trying to stop Tone- Plax- Mason- Keller- Kerley & LT out of the backfield it is a total MISMATCH. The biggest mismatch of this game. Shotty & Rex better have the balls to take advantage of it. If the Jets jump on the Cowboys early & put them in must pass situations, the crowd noise will be deafening allowing our blitzes to be even more fast & furious.

If I was a fan of the Cowboys, I wouldn't be too happy about Romo starting his 1st game after a collarbone injury vs the NY Jets @ the Meadowlands.[/QUOTE]

I struggle with the date. I want to be excited but at the same time I am mindful of what took place 10 years ago. It really will be a bitter sweet day for me. I am no less angry today than I was on 9-12-01. I will watch all the news on this day and then try to watch the J-E-T-S kick some Cowgirl ass. God Bless the USA!

I still can recall Vinny and the team threatening to refuse to play a game during that time.....

I work in NYC ... I have a few friends that were there ... My brother in law was a 1st responder ... We will always remember that day ... But America lives on ... In some ways stronger than before. I can't wait for opening day !

Sept 11th is always difficult. Thanks to the NFl for at least scheduling the game at night so we can all pay our respects to our fellow Americans and honor their memory.

God Bless America!

[QUOTE=TKasper01;4103191]I struggle with the date. I want to be excited but at the same time I am mindful of what took place 10 years ago. It really will be a bitter sweet day for me. I am no less angry today than I was on 9-12-01. I will watch all the news on this day and then try to watch the J-E-T-S kick some Cowgirl ass. God Bless the USA![/QUOTE]

Emotions are going to at an all time high. We as fans, and the NEW YORK JETS cannot and will not let this city down. Too much at stake for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4103202]I work in NYC ... I have a few friends that were there ... My brother in law was a 1st responder ... We will always remember that day ... But America lives on ... In some ways stronger than before. I can't wait for opening day ![/QUOTE]

+1

I was in my south facing office on Broadway and 19th St that morning and got to watch pretty much all the horror without the use of a television. But ten years have passed and we can't stop the world from spinning on that day. They play football games on Pearl Harbor day and JFK's assassination day. September 11 needs to be remembered and honored (hopefully by someday bringing all our brave troops HOME from the Hell on Earth in Afghanistan and Iraq our clown politicians from both parties sent them to) but life has to keep being lived

All Pro

agree!!!:steamin:

[QUOTE=sg3;4103287]+1

I was in my south facing office on Broadway and 19th St that morning and got to watch pretty much all the horror without the use of a television. But ten years have passed and we can't stop the world from spinning on that day. They play football games on Pearl Harbor day and JFK's assassination day. September 11 needs to be remembered and honored (hopefully by someday bringing all our brave troops HOME from the Hell on Earth in Afghanistan and Iraq our clown politicians from both parties sent them to) but life has to keep being lived[/QUOTE]

+2

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;4103287]+1

I was in my south facing office on Broadway and 19th St that morning and got to watch pretty much all the horror without the use of a television. But ten years have passed and we can't stop the world from spinning on that day. They play football games on Pearl Harbor day and JFK's assassination day. September 11 needs to be remembered and honored (hopefully by someday bringing all our brave troops HOME from the Hell on Earth in Afghanistan and Iraq our clown politicians from both parties sent them to) but life has to keep being lived[/QUOTE]

SG3 I agree that life must go on. I was too close for comfort that day and since then have not worked on that day. Basically watch the memorials, cry and just be somber. I always said that I couldn't go to a game on 9/11. Now this year the 10 year anniversary we are the last game of the opening night playing the Cowboys. I am both excited and nervous. I want to be able to enjoy the game but also keep in my mind what happended to all of us 10 years earlier. It will definatley be a mixed day of emotions for me and I am sure a lot of us.

I am sure back when Pearl Harbor was attacked people had that feeling of vulnerability they we felt after the attacks in 2011. But now decades later i am sure many people can;t even tell you what day the Pearl Harbor was attacked. I just hope that as a nation decades later people realize what happened on 9/11/01. It wasn't just military involvement, it was people going to work, civiliians thinking it was just another nice Tuesday morning out, first repsonders, volunteers and of course search and rescue and then unfortunatley just search. I don't under estimate the Pearl Harbor attacks but I think most people look at it as a milirtary base attacked by another military. Where as 9/11/01 it was extremist looking to kill any man, woman or child that was on the street that day.

Again I know life goes on. I just hope I can get through being at the game!!