Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Cotch?

Undrafted Free Agent

Really Cotch?

Cotchery: I fit with Steelers, not with Jets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 14, 2011, 3:44 PM EDT
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AP-Jerricho Cotchery has left the Jets for the Steelers, and in addressing reporters in Pittsburgh today he said he feels like he’s now in the place where he belongs.

“It was time for a change of scenery,” Cotchery said. “I didn’t really see myself fitting in.”

But Pittsburgh, Cotchery says, is going to be a perfect fit.

“That’s exactly why I came here — to play for a Super Bowl contender,” Cotchery said. “And the atmosphere. The way they handle their guys over here, it’s something I need at this time. It’s the best atmosphere for me to thrive in as a player and as a person.”

Cotchery has spent his entire seven-year career with the Jets, and he once looked like a perfect fit, with 82 catches for 1,130 yards in 2007. But his catches and yards declined each year after that, and last year in particular he didn’t seem to be a good fit for what the Jets were doing offensively.

Whether Cotchery will be a better fit in a Steelers offense that already has Mike Wallace and Hines Ward as the established starting receivers remains to be seen. But Cotchery thinks he’ll fit in just fine.

I think Cotchery didn't like Rex Ryan's style or the players he was bringing in. Good luck to him in Pittsburgh!

Practice Squad
    He'll be begging to come back after we kick some steeler a$$ in the playoffs

All League
    his feelings are hurt..

he played like a jet, so i give him a pass..

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;4102953]his feelings are hurt..

he played like a jet, so i give him a pass..[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Also He should remember that he's played for three different coaches here and not one has really raved about him.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=GangGreen115;4102944]“That’s exactly why I came here — to play for a Super Bowl contender,” Cotchery said. “And the atmosphere. The way they handle their guys over here, it’s something I need at this time. It’s the best atmosphere for me to thrive in as a player and as a person.”[/QUOTE]

This seems like a direct shot at Rex and the front office. Cotchery seems like he prefers a more traditional operation, and he was probably not a big fan of Rex's coaching style and the team's roster handling.
    Last edited by parafly; 08-14-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    good riddence Crotch -- enjoy standing on the sidelines as the #5

All League
    meh, whats he supposed to say? Like Rex says, I wish him good health.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sg3;4102966]good riddence Crotch -- enjoy standing on the sidelines as the #5[/QUOTE]

DITTO from Ormond Beach, Florida! GO JETS!

go tell it to your boyfriend

All League
    anyone know how much he's making with the Steelers?

I think he was scheduled to make 2.8 with the Jets this year. I'd be surprised if this move didn't cost him money.

In any case, I get the feeling the Jets don't want players around who don't buy into Rex and the whole way they operate. That's why they agreed to cut him even though they didn't have to, and apparently wanted him to stick around. He clearly didn't like Rex's style, and they must have figured if he doesn't want to be here, then he can go.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;4102966]good riddence Crotch -- enjoy standing on the sidelines as the #5[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY, if you're not with us, you're against us. Buh-bye.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Keeping it classy, like usual.

Veteran
    I refuse to say anything negative about Cotchery.

The man handled himself with class. If he didnt like it here, who are we to attack him? He is a quite guy and this team isnt a quite team.

I wish him good health, but, being that he is on the Steelers, not good luck.

[QUOTE=gaffneycatch;4102984]anyone know how much he's making with the Steelers?

I think he was scheduled to make 2.8 with the Jets this year. I'd be surprised if this move didn't cost him money.

In any case, I get the feeling the Jets don't want players around who don't buy into Rex and the whole way they operate. That's why they agreed to cut him even though they didn't have to, and apparently wanted him to stick around. He clearly didn't like Rex's style, and they must have figured if he doesn't want to be here, then he can go.[/QUOTE]

Basically he is saying "I'd rather ride a pine as 5th WR for 1 mil then play 3rd WR for 2.8". Whatever.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;4102997]I refuse to say anything negative about Cotchery.

The man handled himself with class. If he didnt like it here, who are we to attack him? He is a quite guy and this team isnt a quite team.

I wish him good health, but, being that he is on the Steelers, not good luck.[/QUOTE]

Well said ........ Unfortunately, I will need to remove him from my sig.... Some time later this year.

[QUOTE=ListerFiend;4102997]I refuse to say anything negative about Cotchery.

I wish him good health, but, being that he is on the Steelers, not good luck.[/QUOTE]

+1 Everything except for the "quite" references. I don't speak jive.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;4102998]Basically he is saying "I'd rather ride a pine as 5th WR for 1 mil then play 3rd WR for 2.8". Whatever.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't going to get $2.8 million from the Jets. No way.

[QUOTE=Piper;4103006]He wasn't going to get $2.8 million from the Jets. No way.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. No proof exists. May be he just felt he will never win a competition?
    Really liked him as a Jet. Tough player.
    Wishing him now 60 catches, 1300 yards in 4-12 season with Steelers.
    Last edited by RussianGreen; 08-14-2011 at 05:49 PM.

All Pro
    I still don't understand his departure. There have been so many things said, so many rumors.

Here's what I'll say -- if it was an issue of playing time/being a starter (he seems to confirm rumors he was miffed at the Plax signing and wanted a chance to be the #2) going to Pitt makes no sense. Their WR corps is deep. He'll be lucky to be a 4 there.