Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brunell Out Tonight, McElroy to play A LOT!

Brunell Out Tonight, McElroy to play A LOT!

IMO this is great news....this kid cant get enough playing time for me, as I sincerely hope he can show something and develop into a solid backup.

Smart kid, winner, played in a ton of big games, as well as under the "microscope" at Bama.

Really psyched to see him get as much time as possible, hopefully close to 3 full quarters.

I agree. i think this is the kind of kid that people will regret passing on.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I am too. If anyone caught that ESPN Sportscience special featuring the quarterbacks drafted this year, his segment gave me hope that he can be a legit player in this league.

[QUOTE][B]Greg McElroy [/B]

Greg McElroy is known not only for his athletic prowess, but for his book smarts as well. McElroy's Wonderlic score at the NFL combine, 43 out of 50, is the second-highest score ever by a QB. In fact, McElroy, a Rhodes Scholar finalist, has been criticized for perhaps being too smart. (Well, we have to find something to complain about.) Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the Alabama QB excelled at Mind Games, a combined mental and physical challenge designed to test reaction times.

Each QB was asked to swipe infrared beams as they lit up. The average reaction time was 0.67 seconds, comparable to the amount of time it would take to find an open receiver before the pocket collapses. Then they performed the test again, simultaneously answering a series of football-related questions. After the questions were added, average reaction times slowed by 11 hundredths of a second. But McElroy's reaction time actually improved 14 percent, proving that a quick brain is just as important as a strong arm.

"I really liked testing my reaction times while answering questions," McElroy said. "That's something new and unique. You can study, you can do everything you possibly can off the field but once you get on the field, are you reacting fast? Are you playing fast? Because the main thing the coach will tell you do is play fast and play smart and play within yourself, but first of all, play fast, and that's why reaction time is huge."

[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I wouldn't expect much from him tonight. A rookie with less than 2 weeks of camp under his belt with no training camp? I'm glad he's on the team and think he's the kind of guy that would make a good long term backup, but I wouldn't use tonight as much of a barometer - if he looks like sh!t, it doesn't really concern me.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4103392]I wouldn't expect much from him tonight. A rookie with less than 2 weeks of camp under his belt with no training camp? I'm glad he's on the team and think he's the kind of guy that would make a good long term backup, but I wouldn't use tonight as much of a barometer - if he looks like sh!t, it doesn't really concern me.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... Expecting some botched plays even.

Same with Willy if he gets to play.

Hes the only guy who looked decent at practice the other day so Ill be curious to see how he does. I kind of think we will get super heavy dose of rookies tonight since I can see less playing time for them in weeks 2-3 than usual due to the loss of OTAs and the loss of practice time during camp. I think the starters will get worked more than usual in those games.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4103389]I am too. If anyone caught that ESPN Sportscience special featuring the quarterbacks drafted this year, his segment gave me hope that he can be a legit player in this league.[/QUOTE]

Great find....that is great quality for any qb.

He def doesnt have a huge arm but seems very accurate and the type of guy who can manage a game well, which is what you would want your QB to be able to do.

I dont expect much tonight either, but the more time he gets at NFL game speed, the better he will be.

Veteran
    win or lose, good or bad, let the over-reaction to tonight's game begin. :yes:

it would be great if he posts better numbers than mallett. other than that, it's pre-season. nothing to get worried about, either way.

Hall Of Fame
    I am expecting the offense to be a bit of a mess tonight but I am hoping for good things from the defense and I am especially interested to see the work by the new guys up front.

Lets just hope he is A LOT better in the pros then he was at Bama.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=EM31;4103450]I am expecting the offense to be a bit of a mess tonight but I am hoping for good things from the defense and I am especially interested to see the work by the new guys up front.[/QUOTE]

same here - and most importantly...NO INJURIES!

sloppiness and technique can be corrected in a few practices. A torn ACL? Not so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm glad for Mac, but do the Jets have a 4th QB in camp that will get the late 3rd or 4th quarter?

All Pro
    Pennington vol. 2

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;4103498]I'm glad for Mac, but do the Jets have a 4th QB in camp that will get the late 3rd or 4th quarter?[/QUOTE]

Drew Willy?

Agree with OP. I really like Greg though because he's so smart, but not robotic. (No Chad comparisons please) He's not one of those smart guys without an arm or athletic ability. To me, he isn't underrated athletically but he knows how to harness it and knows what he is capable of. Winner.

Hopefully the 2nd team O doesn't fold around him though.

Lets see how the kickers do. Bye Bye Folk.

[QUOTE=EM31;4103450]I am expecting the offense to be a bit of a mess tonight but I am hoping for good things from the defense and I am especially interested to see the work by the new guys up front.[/QUOTE]

And I have to say as much as I agree with you, it would be nice to see Sanchez come in and be 6-7 for eighty something yards on his first two drives like Philip Rivers but I assume there will be a great deal of running especially without Mangold and Moore!! It's just the first preaseason game but let's move the ball!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4103392]I wouldn't expect much from him tonight. A rookie with less than 2 weeks of camp under his belt with no training camp? I'm glad he's on the team and think he's the kind of guy that would make a good long term backup, but I wouldn't use tonight as much of a barometer - if he looks like sh!t, it doesn't really concern me.[/QUOTE]
    yup :yes:

I just want him to look athletic and confident.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4103485]same here - and most importantly...NO INJURIES!

sloppiness and technique can be corrected in a few practices. A torn ACL? Not so much.[/QUOTE]
    I am with you on the no injuries thing. It would be a good opportunity to establish Joe McKnight and/or Bilal Powell behind either Turner and/or Ducasse. An argument can be made to give all four of those players extra Reps.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4103505]Pennington vol. 2[/QUOTE]

no.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8[/url]

CP never had receivers having to lay out to catch up to his passes.