Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez: I Wanted to Fight Coach Ryan

Sanchez: I Wanted to Fight Coach Ryan

[QUOTE]When Ryan came close to benching Gang Green's matinee-idol star last year, Sanchez said he wanted to take a swing at the popular, outspoken sideline commander.
    "I wanted to fight him. I was really mad," Sanchez said in a revealing chat with GQ magazine.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]At one point, when Schottenheimer reminded Sanchez of Ryan's order to have Brunell handle more first-string plays, "I was like, '[Ryan] can come tell me [himself],' " Sanchez recalled. "And [Schottenheimer] is like, 'Come on, man, don't do that,' " the QB said.
    Despite his unhappiness with Ryan for nearly benching him, Sanchez still has grudging respect for his loudmouth boss.[/QUOTE]

Source:
    [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/jet_sanchez_wanted_to_slug_coach_FCgL0ciIn35OU50u63K3sM#ixzz1V6BEBRs6[/url]

If Rex really wanted to push Sanchez' ego and motivate him with his actions, he seemed to really have done it by getting a mild mannered Sanchez so livid he actually wanted to "fight" him.

I'm sure Rex has wanted to fight Sanchez quite a bit too for his play at times. ;)

And for the record, easy money on Rex if that fight actually happens. :D

[QUOTE]If Rex really wanted to push Sanchez' ego and motivate him with his actions, he seemed to really have done it by getting a mild mannered Sanchez so livid he actually wanted to "fight" him.[/QUOTE]

Yea ingenious idea to think about benching a QB who goes 17 for 44 in a game right after being blown out 45-3 against the Patriots. How does Rex come up with this stuff?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

sure beats the hell out of what Brady wants to do to his coach

[QUOTE=Magnus;4103532]Yea ingenious idea to think about benching a QB who goes 17 for 44 in a game right after being blown out 45-3 against the Patriots. How does Rex come up with this stuff?[/QUOTE]

Probably the same way he came up with the idea of making him captain.

This thread needs a poll asking who would win the fight?

[QUOTE=jetswin;4103534]sure beats the hell out of what Brady wants to do to his coach[/QUOTE]

HAHAHHAHAAA!

good one!

I like the journalistic licence at the end of the quote where the writer adds his opinion that Sanchez still has "grudging respect for his loudmouth boss".

GQ is a rag. Writer must be a Rex hater. Keep on hating. Personally I love Rex. The man brings results. Easily my favorite Jets coach of all time.

as i recall, phil simms had some pretty heated discussions with the tuna. if there's a fight, i'd want rex to reprise his father's whacking of kevin gilbride but with schitty instead.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4103531]And for the record, easy money on Rex if that fight actually happens. :D[/QUOTE]

... def !!! ... he'd resort to biting in order to do it! ....

l_j_r

It worked, look at how Mark played after that. He was throwing the ball harder, he had 6 TD 2 INTs in the next 5 games while completing over 60% of his passes.

[QUOTE=Magnus;4103532]Yea ingenious idea to think about benching a QB who goes 17 for 44 in a game right after being blown out 45-3 against the Patriots. How does Rex come up with this stuff?[/QUOTE]

I think most QB's would get upset but resign themselves to their fate. They certainly would not publicly admit anger to the point of contemplating physically attacking their coach.

So why didn't he fight Rex? Talking about it 6 months later is weak. It's like saying, "I was gonna buy Microsoft before the tech boom, but I didn't."

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4103531]I'm sure Rex has wanted to fight Sanchez quite a bit too for his play at times. ;)

And for the record, easy money on Rex if that fight actually happens. :D[/QUOTE]

I don't know - there's still questions about Rex's footwork....

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;4103622]I think most QB's would get upset but resign themselves to their fate. They certainly would not publicly admit anger to the point of contemplating physically attacking their coach.[/QUOTE]

TBH, I don't get where his anger was coming from. He was playing like crap -- most 1st round picks don't start their first year to begin with. Did he think he was "entitled" to his position?

This sounds just like Cotchery -- complaining about how you're being treated, instead of letting your play prove the guy wrong. Hopefully this is the year he doest that . . .

Prob my favorite Sanchez quote ever. He has that "Fire" inside him that we need to see more of.

It absolutely was good coaching and leadership on Rex's part, and to take it away from him by claiming that Rex just did what he was supposed to...is short sighted and disingenuous.

Sure Mark had two bad games in a row...but if any other franchise QB did that, most coaches would stick by them...but for Rex to let Sanchez know that his job is not secure: that was good coaching. Rex doesn't have the mindset of supporting and coddling the young star QB; instead Rex is a results based coach, and he knows Mark's got the type of ego that won't let him fail. So Rex used Mark's pride to get better results.

Great coaching.

[QUOTE=jetswin;4103534]sure beats the hell out of what Brady wants to do to his coach[/QUOTE]

Zing.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Peebag;4103762]I don't know - there's still questions about Rex's footwork....[/QUOTE]

never happen - different weight classes