Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 10 Things to Watch For Tonight

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The 10 Things to Watch For Tonight

Wondering what others will be looking for tonight, but here's my top 10 in no particular order.

1) No injuries
    2) Our rookie draft picks, specifically Mo, Ellis and Kerley.
    3) Kicker - Nick Novak will have my undivided attention
    4) Punter - Really need to see what we have here
    5) Westerman - I'll be keying in on him as much as possible.
    6) Kyle Wilson - Looking for his play recognition
    7) Lowery - Looking to him for burst and closing speed especially given the extra muscle he put on
    8) Wayne Hunter and Vlad Ducasse - Nuf said
    9) Joe McKnight - looking to see if he is going to dance around or run north/south
    10) McElroy - We are going to see a ton of this kid, would like to see how he reacts. Word is he's really smart and recognizes things quicker then the average.

That's all I got for now, but the 10 things I'm going to be looking for.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson's problem isn't necessarily play recognition. In fact, I think that when the play is in front of him he's always been able to react quickly and make a very fast break on the ball.

He gets into trouble when he has to turn and run with the receiver. That was the knock on him coming out of college and was starkly apparent in the Baltimore game. When he turns and runs, he can stay with the receiver but does not have the awareness to gets his head around when the ball comes. So he inevitably gets flagged for PI or just gets burned.

If he can work on that, he'll be a very good corner. It's a tough thing to do though. When you get your head back around it's easy to lose your position on the receiver. He has to be able to locate the ball quickly, regain position on the receiver and make a play on the ball.

If not, I say he would make a great safety. I know, I know, you'll probably say I'm being wayyy too impatient with him like everyone was with Lowery. But seriously, have you seen this guy hit? He was made for safety. He breaks quickly when the play is in front of him and he hits like a truck. Dude is jacked. I say if it doesn't work out this year for him to move him alongside Leonhard. That tandem would be pretty beast if you ask me. Wilson's got range.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm tuning in to see three guys. Vlad, Westerman and Big Mo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;4103743]Wilson's problem isn't necessarily play recognition. In fact, I think that when the play is in front of him he's always been able to react quickly and make a very fast break on the ball.

He gets into trouble when he has to turn and run with the receiver. That was the knock on him coming out of college and was starkly apparent in the Baltimore game. When he turns and runs, he can stay with the receiver but does not have the awareness to gets his head around when the ball comes. So he inevitably gets flagged for PI or just gets burned.

If he can work on that, he'll be a very good corner. It's a tough thing to do though. When you get your head back around it's easy to lose your position on the receiver. He has to be able to locate the ball quickly, regain position on the receiver and make a play on the ball.

If not, I say he would make a great safety. I know, I know, you'll probably say I'm being wayyy too impatient with him like everyone was with Lowery. But seriously, have you seen this guy hit? He was made for safety. He breaks quickly when the play is in front of him and he hits like a truck. Dude is jacked. I say if it doesn't work out this year for him to move him alongside Leonhard. That tandem would be pretty beast if you ask me. Wilson's got range.[/QUOTE]

solid post...

and nice list by the OP..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Want to see our young defensive linemen.. Then see Jamaal Westerman and how he rushes the passer, I also want to see that Canadian player #50. The backup ILBs, seems like we are thin there. Dwight Lowery playing safety. Greg McElroy at QB. Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell at RB. Jeremy Kerley and how Kyle Wilson looks at CB year 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;4103743]Wilson's problem isn't necessarily play recognition. In fact, I think that when the play is in front of him he's always been able to react quickly and make a very fast break on the ball.

If not, I say he would make a great safety. I know, I know, you'll probably say I'm being wayyy too impatient with him like everyone was with Lowery. But seriously, have you seen this guy hit? He was made for safety. He breaks quickly when the play is in front of him and he hits like a truck. Dude is jacked. I say if it doesn't work out this year for him to move him alongside Leonhard. That tandem would be pretty beast if you ask me. Wilson's got range.[/QUOTE]

+1

Totally agree with everything you've said. I wonder though, if him being a little lost as a rookie, and not recognizing plays was the cause of him not turning his head around and being slow to open up and run with receivers.

If he can't anticipate it becomes difficult to play the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103716]Wondering what others will be looking for tonight, but here's my top 10 in no particular order.

1) No injuries
    7) Lowery - Looking to him for burst and closing speed especially given the extra muscle he put on
    9) Joe McKnight - looking to see if he is going to dance around or run north/south
    10) McElroy - We are going to see a ton of this kid, would like to see how he reacts. Word is he's really smart and recognizes things quicker then the average.

That's all I got for now, but the 10 things I'm going to be looking for.[/QUOTE]

11) Tom Moore- to put Schotty in a choke hold and make him call good plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Sanchez isn't even in our top 10 (or 11) considerations?

I don't care if he only plays one series -- I want to see a confidence and control that shows the maturity he's supposedly making . . .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to see 6'9" Pito at DE

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love to see me some Bilal and see what we got with him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In order, im interested in....

Kendrick blowing up the middle
    Mcelroy getting good reps
    wilson/westerman - improving and showing they can contribute this year
    mo wilkerson
    ducasse when he moves to RT....thats where he needs the reps
    cumberland
    kerley
    courtney smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just praying Ducasse doesn't get Sanchez killed like he almost did last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4103849]So Sanchez isn't even in our top 10 (or 11) considerations?

I don't care if he only plays one series -- I want to see a confidence and control that shows the maturity he's supposedly making . . .[/QUOTE]

for preseason game #1, no sanchez is not on my lsit.

in fact i won't put much stock in his preseason at all TBH.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1- Sanchez (Needs to be better at the short dump off throws)
    2- Dline (Would love to see us pressure the middle of the pocket)
    3- Kerley (Add speed & versatility to the wideout core)
    4- Hunter (Dudes our starting right tackle)
    5- Cumberland (Ex- b. baller could be a huge addition)
    6- Joe McKnight (You can't teach talent & this guy has a lot of it)
    7- Powell (he'll be going against scrubs but I want to see him run)

* Would luv to see the starting D just suffocate a good Houston offense, just for the fans of the other AFC teams we'll be competing against. Sure it's preseason but a little water cooler talk, "Jets defense looked scary" is a nice way to kick off the 2011 pre-season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4103881]Love to see me some Bilal and see what we got with him[/QUOTE]

Ha, I've totally forgotten about him. It'll be interesting to see how much playing time he gets. He hasn't gotten a ton of reps at camp, so you have to wonder if they'll be cautious about putting him out there, or if they'll use the game to make up for his lack of opportunities.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROPATI!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since Sanchez will barely play and Brunell won't play at all due to injury, I'm looking for a big dose of McElroy & DREW WILLY!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope we don't see a ton of Drew Willy cause you know he isn't making the team. I'm watching Westerman the canadian and Eddie Jones to see if we can get any pass rush from our outside linebackers. Rivals had Eddie Jones as a 5 star recruit coming out of high school. He has all the talent to be a great pass rusher just injuries has slowed him down. Rex mentioned him in his presser after seeing him only a couple of days and he has been talking on twitter how everyone on the team keep asking him if he is really a rookie cause he seems more seasoned. The next James harrison? :eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103716]Wondering what others will be looking for tonight, but here's my top 10 in no particular order.

1) No injuries
    [B]10) McElroy - We are going to see a ton of this kid, would like to see how he reacts. Word is he's really smart and recognizes things quicker then the average.
    [/B]
    That's all I got for now, but the 10 things I'm going to be looking for.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested to see how much of the playbook this kid could possibly know in two weeks and will they have enough plays to run for the last three quarters. They may just run the ball 100 times.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4103849]So Sanchez isn't even in our top 10 (or 11) considerations?

I don't care if he only plays one series -- I want to see a confidence and control that shows the maturity he's supposedly making . . .[/QUOTE]

BINGO! After watching Colt McCoy go 9-10 for 135 and a TD against Green bay's 1st team D, I'd like to see Sanchez show us some confidence and accuracy. Even though it's pre-season, i still want to see some fluid ball movement. None of this dink and dunk 3-9 for 64 yd 1 INT garbage. I want to see some command of the offense. 3rd year = no excuses for Sanchize.