Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mario Williams moved to linebacker?

Mario Williams moved to linebacker?

Does anyone else know this? I just heard it on ESPN. Why on earth would they make that move?

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103718]Does anyone else know this? I just heard it on ESPN. Why on earth would they make that move?[/QUOTE]

Yes. They switched to a 3-4 under Wade Phillips.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4103722]Yes. Old news. They switched to a 3-4 under Wade Phillips.[/QUOTE]

I knew they switched to the 3-4 but didn't know they moved Mario. Yeah that does make sense, but really interesting to me.

Frankly, rather then moving Mario and risking him losing value, I'd of traded him for a 3-4 backer and filled other needs. He would of demanded a lot and definitely would of garnered serious interest.

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103718] Why on earth would they make that move?[/QUOTE]

because you want your best player rushing the passer, not gap clogging (and theres no one you can trade Mario Williams for that is worth the trade)

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4103722]Yes. They switched to a 3-4 under Wade Phillips.[/QUOTE]

he's a great athlete but I would test his coverage skills immediately!

[QUOTE=bitonti;4103727]because you want your best player rushing the passer, not gap clogging[/QUOTE]

of course, but switching a players position is a big risk. and with the type of investment they have him in it's a real risky move. seems to me to have been a great opportunity for a trade to fill needs with quality players.

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103726]I knew they switched to the 3-4 but didn't know they moved Mario. Yeah that does make sense, but really interesting to me.

Frankly, rather then moving Mario and risking him losing value, I'd of traded him for a 3-4 backer and filled other needs. He would of demanded a lot and definitely would of garnered serious interest.[/QUOTE]

DeMarcus Ware played OLB not DE for the Cowboys under Wade and he looked like a beast. Mario should be fine.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4103732]DeMarcus Ware played OLB not DE for the Cowboys under Wade and he looked like a beast. Mario should be fine.[/QUOTE]

absolutely, but every player is different. IMO switching a players position fails more often then it succeeds especially in the front 7.

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103734]absolutely, but every player is different. IMO switching a players position fails more often then it succeeds especially in the front 7.[/QUOTE]

While I understand your point, you can't make him a 3-4 end. He won't be able to rush the passer. No choice but to make him an OLB.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4103739]While I understand your point, you can't make him a 3-4 end. He won't be able to rush the passer. No choice but to make him an OLB.[/QUOTE]

absolutely agree he can't be a 3-4 end. I guess my standpoint is, trade him while his value is significant and get key players in return that fit the system.

[QUOTE=jetlifer;4103728]he's a great athlete but I would test his coverage skills immediately![/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4103732]DeMarcus Ware played OLB not DE for the Cowboys under Wade and he looked like a beast. Mario should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Ware is a complete linebacker. Everyone knows he can rush the passer, but he's also great against the run and a good cover man on the few occasions they ask him to do that.

Mario Williams has never covered anyone in his entire life. They're going to have to rush him 90% of the time, taking away from the flexibility and unpredictability that usually comes from a 3-4 set.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4103761]Ware is a complete linebacker. Everyone knows he can rush the passer, but he's also great against the run and a good cover man on the few occasions they ask him to do that.

Mario Williams has never covered anyone in his entire life. They're going to have to rush him 90% of the time, taking away from the flexibility and unpredictability that usually comes from a 3-4 set.[/QUOTE]

+1

i really think the texans should of traded him while is value is still sky high.

And why couldn't he be a 3-4 end? He's 6'6" 290, or at least he was (I assume he dropped a few pounds for the conversion). Ngata and Seymour are 3-4 ends, you're telling me that they aren't valuable?

I remember hearing about this when they hired Phillips. I thought it was dumb and that there was no way they would actually go through with it.

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103765]+1

i really think the texans should of traded him while is value is still sky high.[/QUOTE]

there's no realistic trade scenario where the Texans deal Mario Williams and get fair value in return. Who is as impactful as Williams? and why would any team trade this player?

[QUOTE=JB1089;4103761]Ware is a complete linebacker. Everyone knows he can rush the passer, but he's also great against the run and a good cover man on the few occasions they ask him to do that.

Mario Williams has never covered anyone in his entire life. They're going to have to rush him 90% of the time, taking away from the flexibility and unpredictability that usually comes from a 3-4 set.[/QUOTE]

Lawrence Taylor was technically an OLB for the Giants. The opposing offense knew he was rushing the passer every down, it didn't matter because he was a beast. I don't think it will be much of a problem with Williams rushing the passer most of the time.

Wade Phillips is a hell of a DC, I think he'll figure out the best way to use him.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4103772]there's no realistic trade scenario where the Texans deal Mario Williams and get fair value in return. Who is as impactful as Williams? and why would any team trade this player?[/QUOTE]

play out the big picture...moving mario williams who is a pure rusher into a new position w/ the $$ invested in him is a tremendous risk.

he has incredible value right now and would demand a high quality 3-4 OLB plus a first IMO.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4103726]I knew they switched to the 3-4 but didn't know they moved Mario. Yeah that does make sense, but really interesting to me.

Frankly, rather then moving Mario and risking him losing value, I'd of traded him for a 3-4 backer and filled other needs. He would of demanded a lot and definitely would of garnered serious interest.[/QUOTE]

But how would any such trade work? The interest would mainly come from 4-3 teams - and they wouldn't have any 3-4 LBs to trade.

If you trade him to a team that plays 3-4, they would then need to convert him to LB, so you might as well do it yourself.

You guys overrate the difference between 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE SOOOOO much it's sickening...

He's still going to be rushing the passer from the edge and that's the most important thing. On clear passing downs, he'll have his hand on the ground like he has his entire career. Why you would even worry about coverage when he's going to do that maybe 10% of the time is beyond me.

[QUOTE=JamesR;4103784]But how would any such trade work? The interest would mainly come from 4-3 teams - and they wouldn't have any 3-4 LBs to trade.

If you trade him to a team that plays 3-4, they would then need to convert him to LB, so you might as well do it yourself.[/QUOTE]

how so? and there are plenty of current 4-3 backers that can be converted to 3-4 backers quite easily. it's not always black and white.

and in that case you let someone else take that $50+ million dollar risk and get more a sure thing plus a high draft pick.