Thread: Chris Johnson Holdout: Highest Paid RB is not enough

Chris Johnson Holdout: Highest Paid RB is not enough

Apparently, being the highest paid RB is not enough for CJ1.3K. According to Schefter, he wants to be the highest paid "playmaker" in the NFL.

[URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6864135/top-rb-money-not-enough-chris-johnson-tennessee-titans-sources-say"]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6864135/top-rb-money-not-enough-chris-johnson-tennessee-titans-sources-say[/URL]

[QUOTE]The Tennessee Titans' contract stalemate with holdout running back Chris Johnson shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

While the Titans publicly stated they are willing to make Johnson the highest-paid running back in the NFL, those close to Johnson believe he should be paid as one of the top playmakers in the league -- not just for running backs, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

To date, the Titans have not made any offers to Johnson. Until the Titans can find a way to appease Johnson, the Pro Bowl running back is not expected to report back to the team, which sets up the possibility for a prolonged holdout.

General manager Mike Reinfeldt told The Associated Press last week that Johnson's agent was the first person the team called once the NFL's lockout was lifted. The Titans had reworked Johnson's contract a year ago to give him more money in 2010 and promised to talk to him again a year later.

But Johnson told The Tennessean he was surprised to hear that Reinfeldt said that he would make him the highest-paid running back ever. Johnson said neither he nor his agent has received any offer from the Titans.

"Maybe they talked, but I guarantee we never received any offer," Johnson told The Tennessean.

Johnson said last year that he wanted a new deal with $30 million in guaranteed money. The Titans revised his contract by boosting his 2010 salary by $1.5 million to $2.05 million to convince the running back to report.

Johnson is heading into his fourth season and due to make $800,000 in base salary. The final two years of his deal can max out at roughly $2.7 million.

Part of the problem is that running backs typically are not paid as well as some of the league's other top players. Vikings running back Adrian Peterson is the league's highest-paid running back at $10.7 million. DeAngelo Williams received $21 million guaranteed from the Carolina Panthers to re-sign this offseason.

Johnson has rushed for 4,598 yards and 34 touchdowns during his three seasons. He also has caught 137 passes for 1,008 more yards and four more touchdowns.

His numbers have made him one of the most dangerous players in the game -- and Johnson wants to be paid like it.[/QUOTE]

He's out of his mind. Never pay a RB big money. RBs are easy to replace.

:eek::eek::eek:

Seriously?

What is a playmaker? Are WRs paid more than RBS, or is he refering to QBs?

I honestly think he just wants out. That or he's just stupid. I'm actually leaning towards the latter

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JacksonHtsJetFan;4104117]I honestly think he just wants out. That or he's just stupid. I'm actually leaning towards the latter[/QUOTE]

You ever hear him speak? It's definitely the latter.

Sounds like some alvin keels bs.

This must be the trade Tanny was saving the cap space for lol ;)

CJ is out of his mind.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4104123]Sounds like some alvin keels bs.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I just googled it and apparently cj's agent joel segal worked with keels on deangelo hall's contract with the redskins a while back.

All League
    DeAngelo Williams got $21 million guaranteed at 28 years old with a steady history of injuries.

Yes it was a bad contract, mainly because the Panthers had to overpay to keep their players - see Charles Johnson contract too.

But Chris Johnson asking for $30 million guaranteed after three years of stellar, league leading performances at only 25 years old? I don't think it's so unreasonable.

Make it a 5 year 50 million dollar contract and guarantee 30 of it. Then when he's 30, you walk away, having paid your star fairly for his prime. Let another team see if he's still got something left at 30.

All League
    [QUOTE=JacksonHtsJetFan;4104117]I honestly think he just wants out. That or he's just stupid. I'm actually leaning towards the latter[/QUOTE]

+485
    even if he wants out of tennesee, who is gonna take the chance with this loon???

Ports burned out early ... That is what worries me about CJ ... He will still be great .. But maybe not AS great.

His touretts is getting the best of him.

I actually am not surprised by this, only because, Johnson is repped by one of the "big five" when it comes to NFL agents, in Joel Segal... When the big agents and their clients go down a road like this, where they're willing to give up a year on FA... normally they're wanting HUGE money or there's a huge difference in perceived value from the team's side.

And Joel Segal, prior to the FA period starting, did an interview w/Florio, and he said, while talking about Tone (whom he also reps)... Joel said that there's a truth in the NFL that on every team in the NFL, "each side of the ball has 1, or 2, or 3 big time, special playmakers/gamechangers" and those players should be compensated top market dollar for being "playmakers" of that caliber. Joel pretty much said that playmakers are playmakers regardless of position, and should be paid as such. He was saying this as it pertained to what he was hoping Tone would get in a contract (and Tone did, he set the market at WR this season)... Joel went on to cite some of his other "playmakers," he felt were of that caliber, when he was giving that interview-- and Johnson was one.

Therefore, I'm putting money on Joel wanting a Tone like contract for Johnson, if not more. I say, if not more, because LaCanfora reported at one point, Johnson wanted between $21-30M guaranteed on whatever contract he signed. Tone got $24.5M guaranteed, so... That's why I think it's possible Johnson want might an even bigger contract than Tone's, possibly. If not, something comparable, is my guess.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4104164]DeAngelo Williams got $21 million guaranteed at 28 years old with a steady history of injuries.

Yes it was a bad contract, mainly because the Panthers had to overpay to keep their players - see Charles Johnson contract too.

But Chris Johnson asking for $30 million guaranteed after three years of stellar, league leading performances at only 25 years old? I don't think it's so unreasonable.

Make it a 5 year 50 million dollar contract and guarantee 30 of it. Then when he's 30, you walk away, having paid your star fairly for his prime. Let another team see if he's still got something left at 30.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Based on his past numbers, Chris Johnson deserves to be the highest paid non-QB in the league. He transcends ordinary RBs - he is that dynamic.

You can say that he'll burn out early, and that is certainly a possibility, but Chris Johnson is not replaceable by any ol' RB - that is farcical. At 25 and only having to accrue 1 more year of service time to be a FA, he's not in a real big hurry. Any team that ultimately adds him, even next year, picks up an unbelievable playmaker in his prime for several more years.

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4104206]I'm with you. Based on his past numbers, Chris Johnson deserves to be the highest paid non-QB in the league. He transcends ordinary RBs - he is that dynamic.

You can say that he'll burn out early, and that is certainly a possibility, but Chris Johnson is not replaceable by any ol' RB - that is farcical. At 25 and only having to accrue 1 more year of service time to be a FA, he's not in a real big hurry. Any team that ultimately adds him, even next year, picks up an unbelievable playmaker in his prime for several more years.[/QUOTE]

And in this scenario, you can front-load the contract. Should probably be done for all RB's. Give him 12-15 a year for the next 3 years, and then bring down his #'s in years 4 and 5.