Thread: Saints just cut stinchcomb, sign him now

Veteran

Saints just cut stinchcomb, sign him now

We need some ol help bad

yeah i saw that....

can he shift around the line if needed?

Veteran
    I hope so.
    Not sure how turner is doing but his foot was turned 180, I'd be shocked if he didn't break his ankle

Didn't the Giants cut 2 veteran Olineman? Seubert I think and another guy that has experience at guard, center and tackle?

Either way we need some depth....ducasse looked atrocious on that sack. Where is this so called athleticism? That wasn't against dmarcus ware either.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4104877]Didn't the Giants cut 2 veteran Olineman? Seubert I think and another guy that has experience at guard, center and tackle?

Either way we need some depth....ducasse looked atrocious on that sack. Where is this so called athleticism? That wasn't against dmarcus ware either.[/QUOTE]

The Dolphins signed Sean O'Hara today, but Rich Seubert is still out there. They should at least look at Seubert, Stinchcomb, and check in on Damien Woody as well.

we need one decent backup. The fins might have signed the exgint to be starter. There is some speculation that they may cut a another o-lineman

I heard Stinchcomb is going to retire and go to Med school.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=bcess;4104778]We need some ol help bad[/QUOTE]

I'd rather sign Leonard Davis.

Veteran
    [B]Saints release RT Jon Stinchcomb[/B]
    Associated Press
    [url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6864669/jon-stinchcomb-released-new-orleans-saints[/url]

METAIRIE, La. -- Less than two years after Jon Stinchcomb helped the Saints win a Super Bowl and received a Pro Bowl bid, the five-year starter at right tackle is back on the NFL job market.

The Saints released Stinchcomb on Monday, one day after coach Sean Payton said versatile veteran Zach Strief and 2010 second-round draft choice Charles Brown would be competing for the starting job at right tackle.

"Obviously something like that is a difficult decision for us as an organization," Payton said while announcing the move after Monday night's practice. "Here's a guy that has really been part of our program, certainly since we came here in '06 and well before that. He epitomized the type of player we're looking for. Certainly he's a guy we wish well and will miss."

Yasinskas: New Look For New Orleans
    The Saints must really want to get younger because they aren't helping themselves by cutting Jon Stinchcomb ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas writes. Blog

Stinchcomb came into the season having started 80 straight games, and in that time had become close with the quarterback he protected, Drew Brees.

Brees called Stinchcomb "one of the greatest teammates I've ever had."

"He's a true pro," Brees said. "He's everything you want in a teammate, in a football player, in a man, in a leader. ... He's been a mainstay for this team, for this offensive line for a long time, especially during our time here. I've had five great years with him. He'll always be one of my great friends, close friends. I wish him the best and his family. I'm not sure what's next for him but I'll always love that man."

The Saints drafted Stinchcomb out of Georgia in the second round, 37th overall, in 2003. Stinchcomb played in only 10 games with no starts during his first three seasons because of injuries, including a ruptured right patellar tendon that sidelined him for all of 2005. He returned and won the starting job in 2006, which was Payton's first season as coach, and had not missed a start since.

However, he played in pain for much of last season, after which he had surgery to repair a torn left quad muscle. Because of the lockout, he was unable to rehabilitate the injury at Saints headquarters, instead splitting time with the Georgia Bulldogs' training staff and with a private trainer in suburban New Orleans.

He said recently he was looking forward to playing healthy again this season.

That still may happen, but not in New Orleans, where he also has been among the most active players on the team in terms of his charitable work. If he doesn't find work as a lineman, he likely won't have trouble keeping busy. He has long talked of wanting to enroll in medical school after his football career ended.

In the meantime, Brees will have to get used to a new right tackle, with Strief, a five-year veteran out of Northwestern, appearing to have the edge at this time.

Brees referred to Strief as a "renaissance man" on the offensive line because he has played both tackle spots and also is regularly inserted as an eligible tight end.

"We've even thrown a pass to him, although don't bring that up with him," Brees said, referring to a short pass Strief dropped in the end zone last season. "So he's a guy I've got a lot of confidence in. I know he's been biding his time, waiting for his opportunity and I'm excited for him. I'm excited because I know how hard he's worked and he deserves to be in the position he is to fight for that job."

Stinchcomb had three years left on a five-year extension he signed in 2009. He was due about $2.25 million in base salary this season.

Although Strief was competing for playing time at the same spot, he said he and Stinchcomb were close.

"It's really bittersweet. It's like somebody coming and telling you that you're getting something you've always wanted but at the detriment to your brother," Strief said. "And that's exactly how I see Jon. He has been a mentor here for me and a friend and he'll continue to be. It's hard to come out to practice and not see him there."
    Last edited by rick34125; 08-16-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Veteran
    if the jets actually did pick up stinchcomb to play RT could they ask hunter to be a backup again? he'd be an expensive backup, but it might be worth it.

I don't know whats wrong with Ducasse was he high on crack during the game or what. He looks lost at tackle and overwhelmed by the moment, keep him amongst backups at guard and let him work his way up if possible.

[QUOTE=NYJets90;4104897]The Dolphins signed Sean O'Hara today, but Rich Seubert is still out there. They should at least look at Seubert, Stinchcomb, and check in on Damien Woody as well.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear the Dolphins signed O'hara? Haven't seen this anywhere?

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4105550]I don't know whats wrong with Ducasse was he high on crack during the game or what. He looks lost at tackle and overwhelmed by the moment, keep him amongst backups at guard and let him work his way up if possible.[/QUOTE]

He struggled as a rookie then lost a crucial offseason to the lockout.

Not making excuses for the guy, just saying we shouldn't be that surprised and maybe (hopefully) the next three weeks gets him closer to where we need him to be (or closer to the unemployment line . . .)

All Pro
    This fellow Stinkbomb couldn't be much worse than what we saw last night from our twos and threes.

[QUOTE=OCCH;4105652]He struggled as a rookie then lost a crucial offseason to the lockout.

Not making excuses for the guy, just saying we shouldn't be that surprised and maybe (hopefully) the next three weeks gets him closer to where we need him to be (or closer to the unemployment line . . .)[/QUOTE]

I noticed they ended up moving Duchasse to LG in the 2nd half..

[QUOTE=OCCH;4105652]He struggled as a rookie then lost a crucial offseason to the lockout.

Not making excuses for the guy, just saying we shouldn't be that surprised and maybe (hopefully) the next three weeks gets him closer to where we need him to be (or closer to the unemployment line . . .)[/QUOTE]

the problem is he was a 2nd round pick not a late round project

[QUOTE=sect313;4105733]the problem is he was a 2nd round pick not a late round project[/QUOTE]

even when he was picked, many said he was a bit of a project and may have been taken a round or 2 too high. if ducasse were a late 3rd/early 4th rounder, this type of slow development would probably be more tolerated.

i think this pick was as much of a 'need' pick as a 'BAP' b/c faneca was cut, and i hope they don't happen in future drafts.