Thread: Post game thoughts & analysis.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post game thoughts & analysis.

[B][U]I'll start with the bad first.[/U][/B]

[B][U]Last years draft[/U].[/B]

[B]#62 OT Vladimir Ducasse[/B] looks like a 2nd round bust. I know its only one pre-season game but this is the 2nd year in a row he looks totally lost and he was responsible for a sack against Sanchez & a sack against McElroy where he was beat like a drum on both occasions.

[B]#25 RB Joe McKnight [/B]showed nothing tonight, he has 3 more games to get his act together but I was very unimpressed by his underwhelming performance tonight both as a RB and a returner, he also dropped an easy screen pass.

[B][U]Other players with poor showings[/U]:[/B]

[B]#43 LBer Nick Bellore[/B] A guy who seemed to be getting talked up in camp, looked awful tonight. He was out of position alot and missed several tackles including one or two that could have been for losses.

[B]#84 WR Michael Campbell [/B]- Sorry dude but when you are wide open and the ball hits you right in the chest for what would have been the go-ahead & most likely game-winning TD, you have to make that catch - that was just awful. Running a great route means nothing if you can't catch the ball.

[B]#18 WR Logan Payne [/B]- While he did make a good tackle on ST's, he totally whiffed on what was McElroy's best pass of the night which hit him right in the hands and would have put the Jets in the Texans red zone. Instead he can't bring it in and it falls incomplete. Yes there were DB's around him but that was a very catchable ball, you have to make that catch.

[B]#32 CB Julian Posey[/B] was burned badly by Texans QB TJ Yates on the TD pass that was placed on the half yard line & [B]#27 S Emanuel Cook[/B] who was supposed to be his safety help was also late getting there.

[B]OT's #77 Pete Clifford & #72 Dennis Landolt[/B] were both very soft getting tossed all over the place, they are not even P-Squad worthy.

[B][U]Guys with work to do[/U]:[/B]

[B]#66 OG Matt Kroul[/B] has alot of work top do if he wants to stick as a Guard, he didn't look too hot either, getting beat a couple of times getting tagged with a couple of false start penalties as well.

[B]#11 WR Jeremy Kerley[/B] Looked pretty good as a returner. As a WR he made some catches, but, he also let some balls get away from him that were catchable and mis-timed at least one jump ball he could have caught. Kerley does show good burst when he accelerates, but, he needs to be a little more consistent catching the ball, but it's his first pre-season game, he has time to improve obviously.

[B]#96 DE Muhammed Wilkerson [/B]- I didn't see much from him tonight. Maybe he is just getting his feet under him but I didn't see any noteworthy plays that he made tonight. He did get called for off-sides after being fooled by a Schaub hard count.

[B]#93 NT Kendrick Ellis [/B] - did bat that one pass in the air but I didn't see him do to much aside from that, I do think he needs to work on keeping his pad level lower, he seems to be getting stood up at times. That being said, he is occupying blockers for sure.

[B][U]1st stringers that stood out[/U]:[/B]

Sanchez looked pretty sharp for his limited playing time.

Shonne Greene looked like he was running hard and showed good hands catching the ball.

Santonio Holmes & Derrick Mason both looked solid catching just about everything thrown to them including balls in traffic.

Mike Devito was making alot of tackles and was around the ball alot.

[B][U]Other players that stood out[/U]:[/B]

[B]1st and foremost #53 LBer Josh Mauga[/B] When he stepped in for Bart Scott he played very well making a tackle for no gain or maybe a gain of one and then followed it up with a sack on QB Schaub for a 13 yd loss. After the 1st stringers were pulled, Mauga picked off a pass that was batted in the air by Kendrick Ellis. Josh Mauga seemed like the defensive star of the night in my opinion.

[B]#39 CB Ellis Lankster [/B]- A very sure tackler & was around the ball alot including on special teams. Every chance this kid had to make a tackle he was spot on, someone to keep an eye on.

[B]# 86 TE Jeff Cumberland [/B]after the first stringers were pulled, Cumberland was BY FAR the best pass catcher on the field, bar none. That guy caught everything thrown to him and got some good yards after the catch showing some good vision running with the ball.

[B]#29 RB Bilal Powell [/B]looked far better then Joe Mckinght, he ran harder, showed more burst and better moves/cutting ability. Looks like a very tough kid that does not shy away from contact.

[B]#14 Greg McElroy [/B]- after a shakey start with a pourous O-Line in front of him McElroy got his feet under him and played pretty damn well, especially considering the beating he took. Clealry his arm strength is lacking but this kid is definitely a gamer & could be Brunnell's eventual successor as the back-up #2 QB.

[B]My dark horse for special teams - #87 WR Dan DePalma [/B]looked excellent as a Punt Returner and as a gunner on special teams, this kid is a real burner and seems to have very good hands, keep an eye on him.

[B]#88 WR Patrick Turner[/B] showed good hands catching almost every ball thrown to him but did not seem to do much as far as getting yards after the catch.

[B]#45 TE Josh Baker [/B]made several nice grabs - most of which came in the 4th quarter late, but, if it comes down to Cumberland & Baker fighting for the last TE spot, clearly Cumberland has the edge right now.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-16-2011 at 01:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Pito who to me looks like he can contribute a lot this year on the D line and also Dixon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4105493]I'll start with the bad first.

[B]Last years draft.[/B]

[B]Vladimir Ducasse[/B] looks like a 2nd round bust. I know its only one pre-season game but this is the 2nd year in a row he looks totally lost and he was responsible for a sack against Sanchez & a sack against McElroy.

[B]Joe McKnight [/B]showed nothing tonight, he has 3 more games to get his act together but I was very unimpressed by his underwhelming performance tonight both as a RB and a returner.

[B]Other players with poor showings:[/B]

[B]#43 LBer Nick Bellore[/B] A guy who seemed to be getting talked up in camp, looked awful tonight. He was out of position alot and missed several tackles including one or two that could have been for losses.

[B]#84 WR Michael Campbell [/B]- Sorry dude but when you are wide open and the ball hits you right in the chest for what would have been the go-ahead & most likely game-winning TD, you have to make that catch - that was just awful. Running a great route means nothing if you can't catch the ball.

[B]#18 WR Logan Payne [/B]- Did make a good tackle on ST's, he totally whiffed on what was McElroy's best pass of the night which hit him right in the hands and would have put the Jets in the Texans red zone. Instead he can't bring it in and it falls incomplete. Yes there were DB's around him but that was a very catchable ball, you have to make that catch.

[B]#32 CB Julian Posey[/B] was burned badly by Texans QB TJ Yates on the TD pass that was placed on the half yard line & [B]#27 S Emanuel Cook[/B] who was supposed to be his safety help was also late getting there.

OT's Pete Clifford #77 & Dennis Landolt # 72 were both very soft getting tossed all over the place, they are not even P-Squad worthy.

[B]OG Matt Kroul #66[/B] has alot of work top do if he wants to stick as a Guard, he didn't look too hot either, getting beat a couple of times getting tagged with a couple of false start penalties as well.

[B]WR Jeremy Kerley #11[/B] Looked pretty good as a returner. As a WR he made some catches, but, he also let some balls get away from him that were catchable and mis-timed at least one jump ball he could have caught. Kerley does show good burst when he accelerates, but, he needs to be a little more consistent catching the ball, but it's his first pre-season game, he has time to improve obviously.

[B]#96 DE Muhammed Wilkerson [/B]- I didn't see much from him tonight. Maybe he is just getting his feet under him but I didn't see any noteworthy plays that he made tonight. He did get called for off-sides after being fooled bya Schaub hard count.

Kendrick Ellis did bat that one pass in the air but I didn't see him do to much aside from that, I do think he needs to work on keeping his pad level lower, he seems to be getting stood up at times.

[B]1st stringers that stood out:[/B]

Shonne Greene looked like he was running hard and showed good hands catching the ball.

Santonio Holmes & Derrick Mason both looked solid catching just about everything thrown to them including balls in traffic.

[B]1st and foremost# 53 LBer Josh Mau[/B]ga. When he stepped in for Bart Scott he played very well making a tackle for no gain or maybe a gain of one and then followed it up with a sack on the QB Schaub for a 13 yd loss. After the 1st stringers were pulled, Mauga picked off a pass that was batted in the air by Kendrick Ellis. Josh Mauga seemed like the defensive star of the night in my opinion.

[B]#39 CB Ellis Lankster [/B]- A very sure tackler & was around the ball alot including on special teams. Every chance this kid had to make a tackle he was spot on, someone to keep an eye on.

[B]# 86 TE Jeff Cumberland [/B]after the first stringers were pulled, Cumberland was BY FAR the best pass catcher on the field, bar none. That guy caught everything thrown to him and got some good yards after the catch showing some good vision running with the ball.

[B]#29 RB Bilal Powell [/B]looked far better then Joe Mckinght, he ran harder, showed more burst and better moves/cutting ability. Looks like a very tough kid that does not shy away from contact.

[B]#14 Greg McElroy [/B]- after a shakey start with a pourous O-Line in front of him McElroy got his feet under him and played pretty damn well, especially considering the beating he took. Clealry his arm strength is lacking but this kid is definitely a gamer & could be Brunnell's eventual successor as the back-up #2 QB.

[B]My dark horse for special teams - #87 WR Dan DePalma [/B]looked excellent as a Punt Returner and as a gunner on special teams, this kid is a real burner and seems to have very good hands, keep an eye on this kid.[/QUOTE]

Patrick Turner caught everything thrown his way, and has the size to be a good red zone threat. The guy should stick as our 5th WR.

That TE Baker looked good too.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;4105501]Patrick Turner caught everything thrown his way, and has the size to be a good red zone threat. The guy should stick as our 5th WR.

That TE Baker looked good too.[/QUOTE]

Yep I'll have to add those two Turner & Baker both looked good as well but IMO Cumberland was clearly the star of the night.

Cumberland led all Jets receivers with 6 catches for 77 yds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come Wednesday morning Vlad's ears will be blistered with how badly Rex and Callahan will chew him out. No excuse for how poorly he played. Rex's excuse about him playing 3 OL positions was lame. Mauga stood out on D for me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson showed some improvement as well . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up.

I thought Pitoitua and Dixon played very well also. Both were very stout at the point of attack and showed good pursuit of the ball. The defensive line is going to be one of the team's strengths this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4105512]Nice write up.

I thought Pitoitua and Dixon played very well also. Both were very stout at the point of attack and showed good pursuit of the ball. The defensive line is going to be one of the team's strengths this year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i already like powell more than mcknight..

i was disappointed kerley is as slight as he is..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like both TE's cumberland and baker. Mulligan looked like trash out there. I'd rather go with Keller Cumberland and Baker at this point

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    #87 looked tough. I thought he was going to break one loose. I look forward to seeing more of him next week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;4105493][B][U]I'll start with the bad first.[/U][/B]

[B]Last years draft.[/B]

[B]Vladimir Ducasse[/B] looks like a 2nd round bust. I know its only one pre-season game but this is the 2nd year in a row he looks totally lost and he was responsible for a sack against Sanchez & a sack against McElroy where he was beat like a drum on both occasions.

[B]Joe McKnight [/B]showed nothing tonight, he has 3 more games to get his act together but I was very unimpressed by his underwhelming performance tonight both as a RB and a returner.

[B]Other players with poor showings:[/B]

[B]#18 WR Logan Payne [/B]- While he did make a good tackle on ST's, he totally whiffed on what was McElroy's best pass of the night which hit him right in the hands and would have put the Jets in the Texans red zone. Instead he can't bring it in and it falls incomplete. Yes there were DB's around him but that was a very catchable ball, you have to make that catch.

OT's Pete Clifford #77 & Dennis Landolt # 72 were both very soft getting tossed all over the place, they are not even P-Squad worthy.

[B]OG Matt Kroul #66[/B] has alot of work top do if he wants to stick as a Guard, he didn't look too hot either, getting beat a couple of times getting tagged with a couple of false start penalties as well.

[B]WR Jeremy Kerley #11[/B] Looked pretty good as a returner. As a WR he made some catches, but, he also let some balls get away from him that were catchable and mis-timed at least one jump ball he could have caught. Kerley does show good burst when he accelerates, but, he needs to be a little more consistent catching the ball, but it's his first pre-season game, he has time to improve obviously.

[B]#96 DE Muhammed Wilkerson [/B]- I didn't see much from him tonight. Maybe he is just getting his feet under him but I didn't see any noteworthy plays that he made tonight. He did get called for off-sides after being fooled bya Schaub hard count.

Kendrick Ellis did bat that one pass in the air but I didn't see him do to much aside from that, I do think he needs to work on keeping his pad level lower, he seems to be getting stood up at times.

[B]1st stringers that stood out:[/B]

[B]1st and foremost# 53 LBer Josh Mauga[/B] When he stepped in for Bart Scott he played very well making a tackle for no gain or maybe a gain of one and then followed it up with a sack on the QB Schaub for a 13 yd loss. After the 1st stringers were pulled, Mauga picked off a pass that was batted in the air by Kendrick Ellis. Josh Mauga seemed like the defensive star of the night in my opinion.

[B]My dark horse for special teams - #87 WR Dan DePalma [/B]looked excellent as a Punt Returner and as a gunner on special teams, this kid is a real burner and seems to have very good hands, keep an eye on this kid.

[B]#88 WR Patrick Turner[/B] showed good hands catching almost every ball thrown to him but did not seem to do much as far as getting yards after the catch.

[B]#45 TE Josh Baker [/B]made several nice grabs - most of which came in the 4th quarter late, but, if it comes down to Cumberland & Baker fighting for the last TE spot, clearly Cumberland has the edge right now.[/QUOTE]

Finally's someone's analysis I can agree with. I noticed too that Wilk and Ellis were out there, but didn't dictate the pace at all. Same with Kerley's play at WR. Totally lost focus on the ball when contact was made.

I wasn't as blown away as you were by Mackel-Roy and Powell, but I can't ride the QB too hard after putting up with the O-line he did.

Overall - I walked away unimpressed by our backups. Guys that i was told were ballers were nowhere to be seen out there for the most part.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;4105519]i already like powell more than mcknight..

i was disappointed kerley is as slight as he is..[/QUOTE]

you know i was a bit concerned with his size as well...but he reminds me of a rookie santana moss...

i think he's going to be a baller.

and yes powell look really really good out there...as of this moment he is the #3 back IMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're wrong about Ellis. He played a pretty good game from my observation, but at his position it's not always going to show up in the highlight reel. Instead, he was great at filling holes in run defense, and adequate at getting pass pressure (some pass plays he got no pressure, but it was one such play where the deflection came from). I focused on him a lot, and especially on run D he was constantly plugging holes and forcing the RB to cut into other lanes where others could make TFL's.

Do agree that if he kept his pads lower on passing plays he'd get better penetration.

Overall I liked what I saw from Ellis a lot more than Wilkerson, but he was on the field longer and had more time to get into the flow of the game.

Agree with a lot of your other points though.
    Last edited by Astoria; 08-16-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with a couple points, being fully honest.

For one, you're not giving our D-Line nearly enough credit for the job they did stuffing the run. Houston couldn't get anything going on the ground all night long. 42 yards rushing, TOTAL. 2.2 Average per Carry. Obviously the bulk of the work went to some no-name RB, but it was impressive nonetheless. They were dominant out there against the run.

For two, McKnight showed plenty of burst when he was in the game, I'm not sure how someone could come out of tonight's game thinking Powell performed better then McKnight, considering McKnight averaged 2 YPC MORE then Powell did. It wasn't even close. It's not a knock on Powell, his first career game sure beats McKnight's first career game (ie: Where McKnight was at this point last year). It's just stating the facts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's true ^^ there was some run stuffage. However - I'd feel better about that had, Foster, Tate, Slaton actually played tonight.

....Death by TEs!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4105564]That's true ^^ there was some run stuffage. [B]However - I'd feel better about that had, Foster, Tate, Slaton actually played tonight.[/B]

....Death by TEs!![/QUOTE]

Yep and we still seem a step slow getting to the QB alot of the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4105527]you know i was a bit concerned with his size as well...but he reminds me of a rookie santana moss...

i think he's going to be a baller.

and yes powell look really really good out there...as of this moment he is the #3 back IMO[/QUOTE]

That was one of the players Kerley reminded me of when I saw him play. Devin Hester was the other.

Either way, he definitely looks like a keeper. :yes: Excited about him.

Powell should more burst and wiggle than I thought he would. Running back is a definite strength of the Jets right now.
    Last edited by 10PennyToColes87; 08-16-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mauga was all over field. I loved what I saw from him.

Ropati looks like he's ready to contribute. I don't remember him looking so damned huge in the past also.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4105554]I disagree with a couple points, being fully honest.

For one, you're not giving our D-Line nearly enough credit for the job they did stuffing the run. Houston couldn't get anything going on the ground all night long. 42 yards rushing, TOTAL. 2.2 Average per Carry. Obviously the bulk of the work went to some no-name RB, but it was impressive nonetheless. They were dominant out there against the run.

For two, McKnight showed plenty of burst when he was in the game, I'm not sure how someone could come out of tonight's game thinking Powell performed better then McKnight, considering McKnight averaged 2 YPC MORE then Powell did. It wasn't even close. It's not a knock on Powell, his first career game sure beats McKnight's first career game (ie: Where McKnight was at this point last year). It's just stating the facts.[/QUOTE]

Powell rushed 9 times for 25 yds with a long run of 10.

McKnight rushed 5 for 24 yds with a long run of 9.

Powell also had 3 catches for 27 yds while McKnight had 1 catch for 4 yds.

Powell also looked alot better in pass protection then McKnight who got knocked on his a$s several times allowing McElroy to take unnecessary shots.

Don't agree with your assessment of McKnight as a returner either, Kerley & DePalma both looked like more explosive & decisive runners then McKnight as returners.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-16-2011 at 01:51 AM.