Thread: Lots of good came out of tonight...

Lots of good came out of tonight...

First we need to remember that a lot of the mistakes the team did have tonight, even for players like Ducasse, who didn't have a good night, but remember, these guys, raw players like Ducasse and our rookies and 2nd year players had no off-season, no OTA's, no mini-camps, etc, it really has an effect on these players trying to develop, not just with our team, with all teams.

The NFL product overall will be shaky to start as players and teams settle in, and it will be a couple of weeks into the season before the effect of no off-season works itself out.

My highlights

Greg McElroy

Is a player, moxie, tough, smart. Some are being rather over critical of this kid who played with pass protection problems all night. Think about it, his first NFL game, the first pre-season game, rushed in and out of the pocket all night, sacked 5 times, he didn't show any signs of backing off, he was aggressive, tough, and nearly threw a game winning TD if not for a bad drop off of a pretty good throw. He didn't have a lot of time all night, didn't get to step into his throws for much of the night, but c'mon, that was a damn impressive start for the kid, who seemed to get more confident as the game progressed, thats a good sign, because as he gets used to NFL speed, many of those throws will be much better.

Jeff Cumberland

Huge breakout night, we all saw it, showed great hands, speed, and looks stronger this year.

Josh Mauga

Easily the best LB on the field after our starters, we need depth and youth, he's a good start.

Marcus Dixon

Thought he had a hell of a game, loved his aggression, his strength, and his hustle, caused a lot of havoc in the backfield.

Wilkerson and Ellis

Both kids showed up, I thought Ellis showed up more and had more impact, but Wilkerson played with the starters, and while he seemed as if he belonged you could tell he was trying to adjust to the speed of the game. Ellis showed strength and athleticism, to me, he very much looks like a young Kris Jenkins, or at least shows his kind of ability. Liked what I saw out of the DL overall, a lot of girth, a lot of strength, a lot more ability and talent.

Bilal Powell and McKnight

Very impressed with what I saw, thought Powell showed great effort running the ball. McKnight looked ok, thought he flashed some, and showed good hands as a receiver, he looks improved this year, want to see more

Pat Turner, Kerley, and Depalma

All 3 WR's showed me something. Turner showed great hands and size in the RZ, and showed improvement in his route running. I thought Kerley showed up, very much showed the hype being reported out of camp. Wanted to see more out of Payne, that was a brutal drop on a well thrown ball from McElroy. DePalma showed something tonight, has a lot of Welker/Chrebet in him, has speed too. He looked very comfortable as a punt returner. I'd like to see more of him in the passing game.. Right now, Turner, Kerley, and DePalma make this team as #4, #5, and #6 if we keep 6 WR's. Logan needs to step up.

I thought the secondary played very well over all. I liked what I saw out of S Cook and the kid CB Langston showed up on screen for me, both played physical instinctive ball. I thought Pool flashed, played very instinctive, and played faster to me, seems to be playing faster now that he has a year under his belt with this defense. Very happy with the secondary.

Nick Belore, got a lot of press out of camp, he looked lost. He seemed to play hard and physical, but seemed to miss his assignments.

Was disappointed with Westerman, but I thought it was hard to evaluate because he seemed to get stuck on some plays where defensive communication and assignments broke down.

Ducasse, enough said, bad game, but the kid has ability, let's see what Callahan and McNally do with the troops this week. I just hope Turner is ok, so far so good, doesn't seem to be a break, so maybe just a bad sprain, or maybe not too bad of a sprain, we need him.

The drops by Payne, Campbell, and Mulligan hurt, all 3 would have been big plays.

Thought both K's looked good, Folk looked great, Novak looked strong too.

The punters looked ok. Bryan had a bad first punt, had a nice second punt. Conley seemed more consistent, and had an inside the 20, would have had a punt on the 1, but a ST'er didn't make a good play on the ball. Both had 51 yd as a long

Overall, I thought it was a good night, the sloppiness, missed assignments on defense, and pass protection are all correctable.

Only two weeks of training camp and no off-season, I think we all need to be a bit more patient and let the coaches and players work through it.

I sense Ryan's intensity tonight because of this exact reason, he's saying "no excuses," because he knows there is a lot of work to do, but doesn't want the team to lose focus and create excuses of their own, he wants them working hard and prepared, and ready to work, his way of dealing with no off-season, I love it, love that he's in mid-season form.

Can't wait to see Plax next week.

First game, the kids got a taste of NFL speed, first game out of the way. Hopefully Turner is a short term deal, next week will be a good game because the players now have tape and a game under their belts, the kids will play better because they will be better prepared for NFL speed.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 08-16-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Good post. Hard to believe some people are freaking out at the negatives, because they all seem fixable. AND we will get healthier (hopefully).

The tape from this game will be bad enough that Rex can use it as one hell of motivation, but not so bad that the problems can't be corrected.

nice job

I used to think that you were an overt homer Ray-Ray, but you're one of the better reads theses days, especially when this board tends to overreact with cynicism and negativity.

Agree with most of what you said. However, wasn't overly impressed with either Wilkerson or Ellis. I also think the QB is a bit short and weak armed to be a winning back up quarterback. McKnight looked lost to me and I couldn't get a feel for Bilal.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Astoria;4105546]Good post. Hard to believe some people are freaking out at the negatives, because they all seem fixable. AND we will get healthier (hopefully).

The tape from this game will be bad enough that Rex can use it as one hell of motivation, but not so bad that the problems can't be corrected.[/QUOTE]

i think this is the main positive about not coming away with the win - everyone is going to get the heat turned up to improve, there won't be any complacency (or at least, there better not be!).

[QUOTE=Astoria;4105546]Good post. Hard to believe some people are freaking out at the negatives, because they all seem fixable. AND we will get healthier (hopefully).

The tape from this game will be bad enough that Rex can use it as one hell of motivation, but not so bad that the problems can't be corrected.[/QUOTE]

Healthier than the first pre season game ????????

Solid post.
    Too much over analyzing by people here, it was the first pre-season game...sloppy as expected. The kid, McElroy looked like a gamer and was lost late in the 3rd but played through it. Keeping in mind 80% of those guys out there with him won't make it; he did excellent.

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4105635]Healthier than the first pre season game ????????[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we got these guys called Mangold, Moore, Plax -- I really think they're gonna shine when they get the chance . . .;)

[QUOTE=OCCH;4105663]Yeah, we got these guys called Mangold, Moore, Plax -- I really think they're gonna shine when they get the chance . . .;)[/QUOTE]

I didn't really care about our 1st team last night.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... how could you leave out sanchez looking good? ;) ...

... after he & mauga ... i was impressed with mcelroy & cumberland ...

... liked powell over mcknight ...

... happy with mason & kerley ...

l_j_r

Plus, coach was in playoff form -- blowing a gasket and throwing his headset. And that was in the first half! :yes::D

Jets Insider VIP
    I liked the tight end #45 I believe. He looked good too.

Good post.

Few comments.

Got to add McIntyre to the list. Two sacks on a team that needs a pass rush from it's front 7 is note worthy. TE Baker played very well.

Only issue is Vlad. Guy was horrible. If it was his rookie year I would still be optimistic. It's not. He has got to show more, very soon. Right now he is occupying a much needed roster spot.