Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Eric Smith -- Headhunter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric Smith -- Headhunter

add former jet derrick ward to the list of players E. Smith knocked out of the game. Mangini strikes again!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    eric smith is the hardest hitter on Rex's D.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Smith. Hard hitter and getting better in coverage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the way Eric Smith hits.

Yes, he has some coverage issues, but he hits like a truck and just loves to lay out those offensive players.

Ronnie Lott used to be lauded for laying the kind of licks that Smith does - but in the modern NFL, Smith gets flagged and fined. Which sucks.

Don't ever change the way you play, Smithy. Keep intimidating and keep hitting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this interesting... Revis in an interview recently said he and a few guys thought the season was over last year when Jimmy Leonhard broke his leg. I think that speaks volumes to Leonhard's skills as the QB of the defense, but also shows that maybe we relied on him a little too much. Thus, I think that's why we made Smith a priority to re-sign. In the long run that injury might help us because it gave the whole team a wake up call to learn the nuts and bolts of the defense and especially gave us another guy in Smith that really can QB the whole thing on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;4105808]add former jet derrick ward to the list of players E. Smith knocked out of the game. Mangini strikes again![/QUOTE]

Former Jet Derrick Ward?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4105866]Former Jet Derrick Ward?[/QUOTE]

7th round pick by the Jets in 2004. Midgets stole him from the Jets' PS later that year, and the rest is history.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mrcoops;4105856]Love the way Eric Smith hits.

Yes, he has some coverage issues, but he hits like a truck and just loves to lay out those offensive players.

Ronnie Lott used to be lauded for laying the kind of licks that Smith does - but in the modern NFL, Smith gets flagged and fined. Which sucks.

Don't ever change the way you play, Smithy. Keep intimidating and keep hitting.[/QUOTE]

Smith is going to have a very short career (or a miserable post-career) if he keeps hitting the way he does. He leads with his head just about every time. He's probably had a number of undiagnosed concussions on account of his hitting.

There was absolutely no reason for helmut to helmut contact on that hit last night, except for Smith lowering his head and initiating it. If you look at the Welker hit last year, it was much of the same thing - Smith could have put a legit lick on him, instead he went for an awkward helmut to helmut hit.

I think this is the first time I'm in disagreement with you, Coops. I don't think Smith is a purposely dirty player, I just think he doesn't know how to control his body properly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4105923]Smith is going to have a very short career (or a miserable post-career) if he keeps hitting the way he does. He leads with his head just about every time. He's probably had a number of undiagnosed concussions on account of his hitting. [/QUOTE]

this. i worry about his health as much as a guy like boldin.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is his sixth season. He's already had a longer-than-average NFL career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4105923]Smith is going to have a very short career (or a miserable post-career) if he keeps hitting the way he does. He leads with his head just about every time. He's probably had a number of undiagnosed concussions on account of his hitting.

There was absolutely no reason for helmut to helmut contact on that hit last night, except for Smith lowering his head and initiating it. If you look at the Welker hit last year, it was much of the same thing - Smith could have put a legit lick on him, instead he went for an awkward helmut to helmut hit.

I think this is the first time I'm in disagreement with you, Coops. I don't think Smith is a purposely dirty player, I just think he doesn't know how to control his body properly.[/QUOTE]

Yep, he should have just tackled him with a belly bump.

It was a great hit by Smitty. Your head is at the top of your body, so of you lower your center of gravity to make a hit, it's impossible for your head not to lead your body. Head is at the center, so it is your aiming tool when making a hit... Best way to avoid helmet to helmet is to have your helmet off to the side. In this case, Ward was running to the sideline and lowered his head so the helmets collided. If Smith's aimed more in front of Ward he chances missing the tackle, or taking a blow to the side of his helmet greatly increasing chance of injury.

It was a great tackle. I love how only defenders are accused of "leading with their heads" when RBs do it on almost every run.

If you think Smith hits with his helmet to much, DVR a game and just watch Inside LBs and see how many helmet to helmet hits they are involved in with Lineman and RBs. Goodell and his cronies can try to eliminate it, but that's football my friend!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Victorious Secret;4105937]This is his sixth season. He's already had a longer-than-average NFL career.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I put "miserable post-career" as an after thought. He's played enough so he's at least qualified for full medical benefits. ;)
    Last edited by crasherino; 08-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4106020]Yep, he should have just tackled him with a belly bump.

It was a great hit by Smitty. Your head is at the top of your body, so of you lower your center of gravity to make a hit, it's impossible for your head not to lead your body. Head is at the center, so it is your aiming tool when making a hit... Best way to avoid helmet to helmet is to have your helmet off to the side. In this case, Ward was running to the sideline and lowered his head so the helmets collided. If Smith's aimed more in front of Ward he chances missing the tackle, or taking a blow to the side of his helmet greatly increasing chance of injury.

It was a great tackle. I love how only defenders are accused of "leading with their heads" when RBs do it on almost every run.

If you think Smith hits with his helmet to much, DVR a game and just watch Inside LBs and see how many helmet to helmet hits they are involved in with Lineman and RBs. Goodell and his cronies can try to eliminate it, but that's football my friend![/QUOTE]

:applause:

Great Post, agreed 100%.

That was not a dirty hit last night by Smith, just a solid tackle along the sidelines. I love how some love to point out how defenders lower the head prior to contact but never notice that the offensive players do the same (mainly RBs and FBs), contributing to the helmet to helmet hits just as much as defenders.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;4105854]I love Smith. Hard hitter and getting better in coverage.[/QUOTE]

That's only because he can't get worse in coverage.