View Poll Results: At What % Does Your Tax Burden Become "Too Much", as you see it?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 75%

0 0%
  • 60%

0 0%
  • 50%

2 18.18%
  • 40%

3 27.27%
  • 30%

0 0%
  • 25%

1 9.09%
  • 20%

3 27.27%
  • 15%

1 9.09%
  • 10%

1 9.09%
  • 1%

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What % of Your Income Being Taxed Away From you is "Too Much"?

What % of Your Income Being Taxed Away From you is "Too Much"?

Please See Poll.

A Secondary Question:

Does how much other people get taxed matter to you, and why?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4105927]Please See Poll.

A Secondary Question:

Does how much other people get taxed matter to you, and why?[/QUOTE]

Too vague...leaves out if a person is in favor of a progressive tax system or not. Obviously, if I was making 50,000k/year, I'd feel that 40% was too high...but if I was making $500,000,000 I would not. That is, unless I was planning on starting my own space program and mission to Mars. Then I'd need the entire $500 million.

20% is too high and then you have to factor in state tax, property tax, SS, medicare, health insurance, 401k benefits, etc...

You end up seeing maybe 55-60% of your actual gross pay every week/two weeks?

That's some pretty s!ck sh!t if you ask me...

PK: Your means YOUR. How much of YOUR income being taxed away is too much in your view. As only you know your income level, only you can answer what YOUR income is.

AGAW: Tax in this question means all taxes, in all the forms it comes in, combined. Income, SS, State, Local, Property, Sales, etc, etc, etc.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4106025]AGAW: Tax in this question means all taxes, in all the forms it comes in, combined. Income, SS, State, Local, Property, Sales, etc, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]

Oooof...

20% still stands... Retirement investments aside, clearing at best 60% of your gross pay is an abomination...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4106025]PK: Your means YOUR. How much of YOUR income being taxed away is too much in your view. As only you know your income level, only you can answer what YOUR income is.[/QUOTE]

Oh...gotcha. Lemme check my pay stub....

I pay 20%. That works for this guy...

Hall Of Fame
    i like high taxes.
    it helps keep the " Riff-Raff " out ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kelly;4106147]i like high taxes.
    it helps keep the " Riff-Raff " out ;)[/QUOTE]

As if. The bottom 45% don't pay anything and I assume that a lot of them fall into the "Riff-Raff" category. As a matter of fact, the more Riff-Raffy you are the more our fine government will pay you for being here.

I would say 35% of income towards TOTAL tax burden would be acceptable. That means city, state and federal, payroll, and property.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4106059]Oh...gotcha. Lemme check my pay stub....

I pay 20%. That works for this guy...[/QUOTE]

All taxes combined, you only pay 20%?

20% seesm very very low, if you're looking at your entire tax burden, income, social security, state, local, personal property, sales, etc.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4106322]All taxes combined, you only pay 20%?

20% seesm very very low, if you're looking at your entire tax burden, income, social security, state, local, personal property, sales, etc.[/QUOTE]

Plumbers do a ton of cash business. Don't declare the money. 20% sounds high actually.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4106322]All taxes combined, you only pay 20%?

20% seesm very very low, if you're looking at your entire tax burden, income, social security, state, local, personal property, sales, etc.[/QUOTE]

Must be the childrenz!! :D

All League
    Too much would be at 50% or more.

But it really depends on what you're getting. If you want to streamline government and tax me much less, fine. If you want strong, effective programs like a single payer system, large government investment in helping pay for college and investments in 21st century technology, then tax me more.

We have neither - and the rich pay about as little as they ever have, especially if you account for the loopholes. And the only jobs being created for people my age are ones that pay $10.65 an hour.

All Pro
    This really is too vague of a question, but I voted for 20% under the current system and assuming we are talking about federal taxes only.

By federal taxes, I mean income, medicare, social security.
    Last edited by parafly; 08-16-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Explain federal taxes

[QUOTE=parafly;4106421]This really is too vague of a question, but I voted for 20% under the current system and assuming we are talking about federal taxes only.

By federal taxes, I mean income, medicare, social security.[/QUOTE]

The max tax on earned income could be 55-64% including Fed, SS/Med, and state (some have none). That's fine with me - those are the Clinton era max tax rates. If they were ok once they can work in difficult times.
    Currently taxes on dividends and capital gains are 15%. Moving those to 20% is fine also.
    HOWEVER, half of the people paying zero is unacceptable. Everyone should pay at least 10% of their gross earned income.
    But any tax increases should come [B]only after[/B] massive spending cuts (4 trill over 10) including welfare, military, and even adjustments to SS/Medicare. The Medicaid program is a rip-off.
    The tax increases should remain in effect until the deficit is significantly reduced/eliminated then restored to current levels.
    Plus salary REDUCTIONS for all Federal employees.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4107120]The max tax on earned income could be 55-64% including Fed, SS/Med, and state (some have none). That's fine with me - those are the Clinton era max tax rates. If they were ok once they can work in difficult times.
    Currently taxes on dividends and capital gains are 15%. Moving those to 20% is fine also.
    HOWEVER, half of the people paying zero is unacceptable. Everyone should pay at least 10% of their gross earned income.
    But any tax increases should come [B]only after[/B] massive spending cuts (4 trill over 10) including welfare, military, and even adjustments to SS/Medicare. The Medicaid program is a rip-off.
    The tax increases should remain in effect until the deficit is significantly reduced/eliminated then restored to current levels.
    Plus salary REDUCTIONS for all Federal employees.[/QUOTE]

Without spending caps politicians will always look to spend more of our money. It is the thing that gives them their power. Republicans and Democrats are no different in that way. I think the only way to get the country to agree to any tax hike is if it is accompanied by real spending caps.

Check out this fantastic John Stossel report - The Money Hole

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICHuJfvHgKo[/url]

Everyone here should see this.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4107120]The max tax on earned income could be 55-64% including Fed, SS/Med, and state (some have none). That's fine with me - those are the Clinton era max tax rates. If they were ok once they can work in difficult times.
    Plus salary REDUCTIONS for all Federal employees.[/QUOTE]

I would have no problem with reasonable tax increases if spending were truly cut, not this reducing future spending to by incrased by only 6% instead of 7%. Real cuts.

[QUOTE=Trades;4107164]I would have no problem with reasonable tax increases if spending were truly cut, not this reducing future spending to by incrased by only 6% instead of 7%. Real cuts.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The cuts must be in place and actually working (showing real savings not some BS "forecast") before any tax increase is implemented.
    The increases would be rolled back gradually when the budget is capped and balanced. And deficits are minimal.

[QUOTE=Trades;4107164] Real cuts.[/QUOTE]

I know a place we can start cutting: Afghanistan. That place isn't worth 1 more American life or one more cent.