Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tale of two sides of the ball! Bad luck or a HC's predisposition towards defense?

Jets Insider VIP

A tale of two sides of the ball! Bad luck or a HC's predisposition towards defense?

[B]Defense:[/B]

- Younger, better, deeper on the Line. Ropati, Devito and Pouha solid returners with Wilk and Ellis looking like they could be put in immediately and hold their own.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]- Eric Smith looks better, Leonhard is back and Revis/Cromartie form an elite CB tandem.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]- Rex and Pettine ready to coach this talent up to another level.[/COLOR]

- Young guys like Mauga, Wilson, Westerman show signs that they could be taking another step and improving.

[B]Offense:[/B]

- Aside from elite players at LT and C, and good hold-the-fort guys at other positions, there are question marks on the Oline and little/no depth. Will Jets try to smashmouth with swiss cheese?

[COLOR="Blue"]- Santonio is a true #1 and there's some hope at WR in Kerley, but age/injury risks with Plax and Mason, inexperience with others.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]- Schotty returns as coach to run the Wildcat.[/COLOR]

- Young guys like Ducasse and McKnight are flashing major warning signals.

[B]So some questions.....[/B]

What accounts for the perceived disparity between our two sides of the ball? Is it bad luck (injuries, a potential draft mistake on Ducasse)? Or, is this evidence of Rex's predisposition to defense and possibly some neglect of the offense?

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4106226][B]Defense:[/B]

- Younger, better, deeper on the Line. Ropati, Devito and Pouha solid returners with Wilk and Ellis looking like they could be put in immediately and hold their own.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]- Eric Smith looks better, Leonhard is back and Revis/Cromartie form an elite CB tandem.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]- Rex and Pettine ready to coach this talent up to another level.[/COLOR]

- Young guys like Mauga, Wilson, Westerman show signs that they could be taking another step and improving.

- Aside from elite players at LT and C, and good hold-the-fort guys at other positions, there are question marks on the Oline and little/no depth. Will Jets try to smashmouth with swiss cheese?

[COLOR="Blue"]- Santonio is a true #1 and there's some hope at WR in Kerley, but age/injury risks with Plax and Mason, inexperience with others.[/COLOR]

What accounts for the perceived disparity between our two sides of the ball? Is it bad luck (injuries, a potential draft mistake on Ducasse)? Or, is this evidence of Rex's predisposition to defense and possibly some neglect of the offense?[/QUOTE]

You left out Mangold, D'brick, and Moore.

DELAY OF LOGIC.

15 yards, restart on my whistle

no but you have a point...we are a defensive team first but we dont have many slouches on offense.

All League
    10 of the 13 draft picks since Rex arrived have been spent on the offense and one of the major talking points about the Jets roster last year was the age of the DLine and how it needed to get younger.

1. Mark Sanchez QB
    3. Shonn Greene RB
    6. Matt Slauson G

1. Kyle Wilson CB
    2. Vladimir Ducasse OT
    4. Joe McKnight RB
    5. John Conner FB

1. Muhammad Wilkerson DE
    3. Kenrick Ellis DT
    4. Bilal Powell RB
    5. Jeremy Kerley WR
    7. Greg McElroy QB
    7. Scotty McKnight WR

Bewildered Beast

What accounts for the perceived disparity between our two sides of the ball? Is it bad luck (injuries, a potential draft mistake on Ducasse)? Or, is this evidence of Rex's predisposition to defense and possibly some neglect of the offense?[/QUOTE]
    All I can think of is that Ducasse and McKnight could not possibly be ready for this season due to the lockout. We added Tom Moore and we obviously have to wait for his input; slowing the assimilation process further for guys like Vlad and Joe McK.

But I agree to the general principle of your logic; funny how Kubiak has the opposite situation in HOU.

Where are you getting that Eric Smith looks better? Our safeties were pretty bad last night in coverage.

Also where was the major warning signal from Joe McKnight? I thought he played pretty well.

Exactly... jets have been favoring offense since Rex got here.

McKnight looks like a player, although I can't completely figure out his best role yet. Ducasse showing major warning signals although the unbelievable strength he has remains exciting. Guy just can't pass block and that is easily more important than run blocking.

All League
    ERIC SMITH LOOKS BETTER......LLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOL.....WHO THE F WERE YOU WATCHING!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't see where or how anyone would think that the D has been stressed over the O. More draft picks have been spent on the O, more trades have been made to help the O.

Or why that the unit that Rex coaches would trail a unit that Shotty coaches.

Jets have spent most of their 'Rex Era' draft picks on offense, including trading up to #5 for Sanchez, and have constantly gone out of their way to improve the talent on that side of the ball (trades for Braylon and Holmes, signing LT, etc.).

we have arguably more 'talent' on offense than on defense. the problem is that Schitty runs the offense, while Rex runs the defense.

[QUOTE=DBAKE;4106273]ERIC SMITH LOOKS BETTER......LLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOL.....WHO THE F WERE YOU WATCHING!!!!![/QUOTE]

Exactly. In coverage he is a liability. He will be the target when we play good passing teams.

"Swiss Cheese" offensive line??? Mangold and Moore would have played if it was a real game. 3 of our 5 O-lineman are Pro Bowl players (Moore doesn't get the cred).

Yes, a major injury on the O-line would hurt, but the same can be said for any other team. I'd rather have the best starting O-line in football and below average backups, than have and average O-line with sone average backups.

C'mon man!!!!

Also, safe to say that Mason (who never gets hurt) is less of an injury risk than Cotchery who has been hurt each of the past 2 seasons and coming off back surgery.

Plax is a bit of a risk, but the upside is HUUUGE!

You silly.
    Last edited by Gastineau99; 08-16-2011 at 02:05 PM.

All League
    The offense needed to be addressed first because it was old and mediocre. It was in shambles compared to what we field now. Outside of the line, Keller was the only young talent the team had unless you count Leon and Brad Smith and neither of them are full-time guys.

They've rebuilt the entire O while still competing at a high level.

QB Favre
    RB T. Jones
    FB Richardson
    TE Baker
    TE Keller
    WR Cotchery
    WR Coles

Jets Insider VIP

I think you are wrong. ROBBY FELIX showed quite well last night. Cumberland, Pat Turner, Kerley, played very well as did the TE baker. Powell did fine and unlike the usual attack on McKnight, his YPC was better then you care to mention. Do you think anyone could run behind that OL? You should try it! Offense takes time to be coordinated. These guys have been together two weeks and you expected to see miracles. You conveniently left out the rookie QB with all of two weeks time under his belt. He nearly won the game with a good throw that was dropped. Be critical but please get your facts straight before you cast aspersions! And why attack Mason? he did a fine job with less then two weeks with the team. So we now see that SEVERAL kids did quite well on OFFENSE last night and there is NO need for you to attack the HC except to try to make yourself look smart. You failed. And you might have noticed that Sanchez looked very sharp in his brif appearance. I wonder why you failed to mention that!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.

in the past 2 drafts they have taken 3 rbs, and that doesn't even include signing LT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Absurd to say that the Jets have ignored the offense, it's actually the exact opposite. Tons of resources, draft picks, free agents, trades and $ have gone into the offense the past few years. Rex is just a genius with the defense, which is why it's miles better than the offense.

[QUOTE=DBAKE;4106273]ERIC SMITH LOOKS BETTER......LLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOL.....WHO THE F WERE YOU WATCHING!!!!![/QUOTE]

The Jets first team defense gave up 27 yds of total offense and 1 first down when in the game during first quarter, so what game were YOU watching?

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm going to call an audible on this thread...or maybe take a mulligan (Matt?). :D

After reading the replies I have to say I agree with most of them and it's because I don't think I got my point across well. I agree that the Jets have used some draft picks and spent $ on offense, but I'm not sure why the return on investment doesn't seem to be there. I'll chalk it up to bad luck, but our offense just doesn't seem ready to overcome injuries and challenges like our D can.

First, I think our starting OLine is excellent...D'Brick, Mangold, Moore, etc. The problem is that it's not deep and the guys we were counting on to begin stepping up like Ducasse do not seem able to. This seems to be a big contrast to our DLine which seems young, talented and deep.

Second, comparing our WRs to our Secondary it's a similar story. I think we're solid with starters (some of the best in the League) and have some good guys behind them in the secondary. At WR I'm nervous about everyone except Santonio quite frankly.

Yes, the Jets have spent picks and FA $ on the offense, but for all that work it just doesn't seem like we're getting the payoff....and I don't know why. It disappoints me that an injury to Turner (a backup) would suddenly put the Jets in a lurch and cause a little panic. Post FA and post Draft our roster should be close to ready for the season and yet we're already looking injured (OLine and WR), a little old (at WR) and with little depth.

I'm not panicking, I'm concerned. The Jets HAVE to prepare for a 16+ game season as IF Plaxico will miss 4 games, an offensive lineman will go down for a few weeks, etc. Unlike our defense it just seems that the O is skating on thin ice.

By contrast, our defense looked remarkably good for a first preseason game in which we put a rookie in for Shaun Ellis at DE and Bart Scott left the game very early with an injury. Our offense doesn't seem able to weather such challenges.

Other than that, this thread sucks. :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4106364]Absurd to say that the Jets have ignored the offense, it's actually the exact opposite. Tons of resources, draft picks, free agents, trades and $ have gone into the offense the past few years. Rex is just a genius with the defense, which is why it's miles better than the offense.[/QUOTE]

Never said they ignored it. I'm just wondering why after all that investment our O doesn't seem prepared with guys behind the starters ready to step up. I'm just asking...

[QUOTE=jetstream23]What accounts for the perceived disparity between our two sides of the ball? Is it bad luck (injuries, a potential draft mistake on Ducasse)? Or, is this evidence of Rex's predisposition to defense and possibly some neglect of the offense?[/QUOTE]

I think you partially answered it in that Rex can turn some defensive lemons into lemonade, he's a genius on D. Our offense is another story - Schotty had a Pro Bowl caliber offensive roster last year with stars at virtually every position and still couldn't deliver in the red zone in Pittsburgh. Heaven help us if Schotty has backups or less talent to work with.

Would you trade last years team for this years?

Would you trade last years team for this years?

I would. I'd get Edwards, Taylor, S. Ellis, Brad Smith, Cotch.

I'd be giving up Mo, K. Ellis, Kurley, Plax, Mason.

I'm going with the last years team so far. I liked Edwards' chemistry with Sanchez, Brad's explosiveness, Taylor's big plays, Shaun's big games vs. the Pats, Cotch's clutch plays.