Thread: hahahaha, wow.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha, wow.

[QUOTE]
    Obama's Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack: "Well, obviously, it's putting people to work. Which is why we're going to have some interesting things in the course of the forum this morning. Later this morning, we're going have a press conference with Secretary Mavis and Secretary Chu to announce something that's never happened in this country -- something that we think is exciting in terms of job growth. I should point out, [B]when you talk about the SNAP program or the foot stamp program, you have to recognize that it's also an economic stimulus. [/B]Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity. If people are able to buy a little more in the grocery store, someone has to stock it, package it, shelve it, process it, ship it. All of those are jobs. It's the most direct stimulus you can get in the economy during these tough times."
    [/QUOTE]
    [URL]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/08/16/obama_ag_secretary_vilsack_food_stamps_are_a_stimulus.html[/URL]

sweet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    when did stimulus become a curse word?

whats better?

Food stamps: give away a dollar that turns into $1.84 of impact (and feeds people)

Tax Cuts: not collect a dollar that turns into $0.10 of impact (and creates no jobs, or any other benefit to America)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know this was a talking point in the Liberal circus...

I've heard Bit say it before...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4106519]when did stimulus become a curse word?

whats better?

Food stamps: give away a dollar that turns into $1.84 of impact (and feeds people)

Tax Cuts: not collect a dollar that turns into $0.10 of impact (and creates no jobs, or any other benefit to America)[/QUOTE]
    you were much quicker to get here than I expected :cool:

[LEFT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=-1]Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/LEFT]
    [RIGHT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=-1]BARACK OBAMA[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/RIGHT]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    "winning the future"

lmao

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see the actual math on the $1 = $1.84, because that sounds kinda fuzzy.

Of course whe you let rich people kee more tax money they never spend it so those dollars turn into $.10. :eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not go as far as saying it's an economic stimulus, but you cannot deny that SNAP funds are instantly and fully recirculated into the economy and positively effect a wide range of industries.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4106519]when did stimulus become a curse word?

[/QUOTE]

when people forgot what the word actually means

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    ..............Foot stamps?

:dunno:

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4106572]I'd love to see the actual math on the $1 = $1.84, because that sounds kinda fuzzy.

Of course whe you let rich people kee more tax money they never spend it so those dollars turn into $.10. :eek:[/QUOTE]

those numbers are from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office

[url]http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10803/01-14-Employment.pdf[/url]

imagine the scenario of food stamps. US Gov't gives me a dollar. I buy 1 dollars worth of food. The super market buys the food from a distributor, who pays to have it transported. A farmer grows the food and gets paid for it. That's like 5 entities that benefited from my dollar. i dont have the choice of saving that dollar, and I can't spend it in Japan or someplace else.

now imagine a tax cut for the rich. 9x out of 10, Rich guy keeps the money in the bank or throws it in the market. 1 person maybe a banker or a broker sees impact. maybe 1 time out of 10 he gets his house painted or some other task that requires extra employees. Maybe he takes his tax cut money to the South of France and other than the Hudson News at the airport, the USA sees no impact.

it's not as great an impact, and there's real math to back that up.
    Last edited by bitonti; 08-16-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4106617]I would not go as far as saying it's an economic stimulus, but you cannot deny that SNAP funds are instantly and fully recirculated into the economy and positively effect a wide range of industries.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. If you cut the foodstamp program and the EIC, Walmart would be out of business in 2-3 years...

[QUOTE]Profits And Baby Formula – Our pal, Rich Yamarone, over at Bloomberg picked up an eye-opening statement made by the Wal-Mart CEO last week.

[B]"I don't need to tell you that our customer remains challenged…You need not go farther than one of our stores on midnight at the end of the month. And it's real interesting to watch, about 11 p.m. customers start to come in and shop, fill their grocery basket with basic items – baby formula, milk, bread, eggs – and continue to shop and mill about the store until midnight when government electronic benefits cards get activated, and then the checkout starts and occurs. And our sales for those first few hours on the first of the month are substantially and significantly higher."[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][url]http://my.auburnjournal.com/detail/177224.html[/url]

Oklahomans are using food stamps at record levels, and spent them at WalMart more than any other food venue, according to the Tulsa World's study of USDA and OK DHS statistics.

Out of $1.2 billion dollars, $506 million went to WalMart between July 2009 and March 2011. Tulsa county stores took in $190 million since mid- 2009. WalMart stores were the top 6 beneficiaries, followed by 4 Warehouse Markets.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It stimulates the economy by giving away our tax dollars, to help people who lost their jobs because of Obama. Is that called guilt!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4106758]those numbers are from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office

[URL]http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10803/01-14-Employment.pdf[/URL]

imagine the scenario of food stamps. US Gov't gives me a dollar. I buy 1 dollars worth of food. The super market buys the food from a distributor, who pays to have it transported. A farmer grows the food and gets paid for it. That's like 5 entities that benefited from my dollar. i dont have the choice of saving that dollar, and I can't spend it in Japan or someplace else.

now imagine a tax cut for the rich. 9x out of 10, Rich guy keeps the money in the bank or throws it in the market. 1 person maybe a banker or a broker sees impact. maybe 1 time out of 10 he gets his house painted or some other task that requires extra employees. Maybe he takes his tax cut money to the South of France and other than the Hudson News at the airport, the USA sees no impact.

it's not as great an impact, and there's real math to back that up.[/QUOTE]

That only works if you assume that the people buying the food with food stamps wouldn't be buying food in the first place. Would all of those purchases be gone if it weren't for food stamps? I think not.

Also, I have to assume the CBO knows more about the economy than I do but do they consider the cost that it took to get that $ to the people in the first place? Also isn't it the same $ just changing hands and getting divided down the line?

Fed takes taxes, gives it to agency to redistribute, print food stamp cards, manage system etc. Person buys food, part of the profit goes to store personel, store buys food, part of that goes to shipping, farms, etc. But there is no way unless I am totally missing something that the store and everyone down the line could make a profit unless each entity is taking money out of that dollar. How is it increasing to $1.84 gained in the economy unless we are counting it twice?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4106998]It stimulates the economy by giving away our tax dollars, to help people who lost their jobs because of Obama. Is that called guilt![/QUOTE]

what about the people in Alabama accepting disaster food stamps because of a tornado?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4107064]That only works if you assume that the people buying the food with food stamps wouldn't be buying food in the first place. Would all of those purchases be gone if it weren't for food stamps? I think not.[/quote]

The assumption is they wouldn't buy food, that's why they are on stamps. is that true of 100% of the people, probably not but alot of people would go to a food bank or go hungry. it does happen.

[QUOTE=Trades;4107064]
    Also, I have to assume the CBO knows more about the economy than I do but do they consider the cost that it took to get that $ to the people in the first place? Also isn't it the same $ just changing hands and getting divided down the line?

How is it increasing to $1.84 gained in the economy unless we are counting it twice?[/QUOTE]

it's all in the PDF but essentially yes they are counting the dollar twice, more than twice. the dollar moves from register to trucker to distributor to farmer... parts of it goes to the checkout person working at the grocery store. It does get passed around. Way more than the tax cut guy who gets his dollar and sits on it.

remember a dollar not collected and a dollar spent are the same dollar in the budget.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4107064]Fed takes taxes, gives it to agency to redistribute, [B]print food stamp cards[/B], manage system etc.[/QUOTE]

Actually...

[QUOTE][url]http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/the-more-americans-that-go-on-food-stamps-the-more-money-jp-morgan-makes[/url]

JP Morgan is the largest processor of food stamp benefits in the United States. JP Morgan has contracted to provide food stamp debit cards in 26 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. JP Morgan is paid for each case that it handles, so that means that the more Americans that go on food stamps, the more profits JP Morgan makes. Yes, you read that correctly. When the number of Americans on food stamps goes up, JP Morgan makes more money. In the video posted below, JP Morgan executive Christopher Paton admits that this is "a very important business to JP Morgan" and that it is doing very well. Considering the fact that the number of Americans on food stamps has exploded from 26 million in 2007 to 43 million today, one can only imagine how much JP Morgan's profits in this area have soared. But doesn't this give JP Morgan an incentive to keep the number of Americans enrolled in the food stamp program as high as possible?

It turns out that JP Morgan also provides child support debit cards in 15 U.S. states and they also provide unemployment insurance benefit debit cards in seven states.

Apparently states have found that they can save millions of dollars by "outsourcing" the provision of these benefits to big financial firms like JP Morgan.

So what happens if you have a problem with your food stamp debit card?

Well, you call up a JP Morgan service center. When you do this, there is a very good chance that you are going to be helped by a JP Morgan call center employee in India.

That's right - it turns out that JP Morgan is saving money by "outsourcing" food stamp customer service calls to India.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4107286]Actually...[/QUOTE]

Actually...

Your post isn't doing anything accept confirming that some of the money is being spent/wasted on printing the cards. That was my point, that money needs to be spent to produce the cards. Also your post shows we are stimulating the econmy of India with our tax dollars in this case rather than America's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4107293] Also your post shows we are stimulating the econmy of India with our tax dollars in this case rather than America's.[/QUOTE]

JP Morgan is an American company NYSE JPM

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4107302]JP Morgan is an American company NYSE JPM[/QUOTE]

Gosh I didn't realize that. They are taking tax payer dollars and employing Indians (not American Indians either) in India to provide a service. That takes the money from America and moves it into the Indian economy. India is not an American state, you might be confusing it with Indiana.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4107182]The assumption is they wouldn't buy food, that's why they are on stamps. is that true of 100% of the people, probably not but alot of people would go to a food bank or go hungry. it does happen.

it's all in the PDF but essentially yes they are counting the dollar twice, more than twice. the dollar moves from register to trucker to distributor to farmer... parts of it goes to the checkout person working at the grocery store. It does get passed around. Way more than the tax cut guy who gets his dollar and sits on it.

remember a dollar not collected and a dollar spent are the same dollar in the budget.[/QUOTE]

So your assumption is that the "tax cut guy" sits on the dollar that was cut? But food stamps help stimulate an economy?? I hope Obama runs on that platform.