Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenrick Ellis - wow

Kenrick Ellis - wow

Anybody who has last night's game recorded, after the Rex meltdown, which was awesome BTW, the very next play, Ellis makes an unbelievable play for a rookie.

He's playing NT, and takes on the C, pushes him back, then out of the way to get the first hit on the RB, that pushes him back into the LOS, to be followed by the swarm of the rest of the DL and front 7, as Ellis is about to celebrate, and then quickly realizes the whistle hadn't blown and the RB is not yet completely down, he runs over and dives on top of the pile.

Probably the single best display of the potential of this young stud.

Love everything about him, his attitude, work ethic, he loves playing ball, love following him on Twitter, and to think he's probably still pretty raw from a technique standpoint. This is where I wish Jenkins was still on the team to work with him, but hes probably getting plenty of tutelage from Pouha.

Loving this kid already.

Ellis and Wilkerson both played well last night. I was especially impressed with Ellis.

all of us that followed the draft saw that all day in his college work.

He was my favorite draft pick we had, bc its so rare to see that kind of hustle. It actually was a bunch of us waited the entire third round for this guy to be our pick.

The kid goes sideline to sideline.....you dont find that in 350 pounders.

All League
    i thought ellis outperformed wilk, but then again wilk was against the 1s

[QUOTE=Johnny Bravo;4106800]Ellis and Wilkerson both played well last night. I was especially impressed with Ellis.[/QUOTE]

Two words: Marcus Dixon. The three of these guys make a great combination of youth.

[QUOTE=KR;4106817]all of us that followed the draft saw that all day in his college work.

He was my favorite draft pick we had, bc its so rare to see that kind of hustle. It actually was a bunch of us waited the entire third round for this guy to be our pick.

The kid goes sideline to sideline.....you dont find that in 350 pounders.[/QUOTE]

yep - i remember seeing that in Ngata as well when he came out.

Point being -- u actually have to be able athletically to go sideline to sideline and be conditioned enough to put the hustle into the pile

I really love his attitude on the field, he plays hard and to the whistle. When he tipped that pass for a INT you see the emotion out there as he went to the sidelines. This guy wants it, I hope he gets out of the trial alright and then stays out of trouble for the rest of his career. My gut feeling was that this guy was going to be a player.
    [IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/IMG_0391_910522.jpg[/IMG]

I watched him in particular on most snaps (well, whenever Wilkerson wasn't in). There were a lot of other hustle plays in addition to the one RayRay mentioned that you'll see if you catch a replay of the game and just focus on Ellis. He really impressed me - constantly causing the RB to choose a different lane, then following around and meeting the RB downfield (either making the tackle or coming in late to stop the pile's momentum...sometimes like 7-10 yards downfield).

I wish there was distance covered per player tracking like they have in soccer, because I bet Ellis covers a lot more ground over the course of a game than others at his position. Lookin good so far, now we need to see game to game consistency.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4106821]Two words: Marcus Dixon. The three of these guys make a great combination of youth.[/QUOTE]

Add Rapati Pitoitua to that list! I love our young DL

Jets Insider VIP
    Wilkerson, Ellis, Pouha, Ropati, DeVito and Dixon have all the makings of a stellar 3-4 Defensive line rotation for the next 5 years! If we're lucky, we don't have to use a first day draft pick on the DLine in the next two or three years. It's young, talented and deep. Cross your fingers but we're looking pretty good right now assuming these guys continue to progress.

All Pro
    Wilk-Ellis-Pito
    Not a bad future starting D line.

[QUOTE=Darth Vader;4106824]yep - i remember seeing that in Ngata as well when he came out.

Point being -- u actually have to be able athletically to go sideline to sideline and be conditioned enough to put the hustle into the pile[/QUOTE]

Kenrick would have been selected in the 1st round if not for the off the field stuff. If he played for a really big school he might have gotten selected where Ngata was who knows. Kenrick is a rare talent in ANY draft. I think the Jets were just highly fortunate to get him in the 3rd round. Everything fell in place. This draft class by the Jets might be the best in some time with Mo, Kerley, Kenrick, and even Bilal if he develops into what Tanny thinks he can be. If Mo ends up living up to his 1st round status ... I think this draft class will be a success right off the bat. Kerley looked awesome in special teams last night and I think when thrown in the slot he'll be able to make plays. Kenrick is a player ... its obvious .... when I was in camp he was tipping balls down and he was no where near the line of scrimmage. He has a knack for getting his hands on the ball with good timing but its his height and length that obviously give him that advantage.

I think Kerley is a player but I'm more than sure that Bilal Powell will get playing time this year and we'll see what he's made of. Don't be surprised if all our rookies contribute in some way this year which is more than you can say for last years class. Their training camp was so short yet they've all looked crisp so far..... This Jets rookie class has a chance to be something special.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4106849]Wilkerson, Ellis, Pouha, Ropati, DeVito and Dixon have all the makings of a stellar 3-4 Defensive line rotation for the next 5 years! If we're lucky, we don't have to use a first day draft pick on the DLine in the next two or three years. It's young, talented and deep. Cross your fingers but we're looking pretty good right now assuming these guys continue to progress.[/QUOTE]

Kind of sucks that Pouha is 32 years old in only his 6th year. According to people here that makes him eligible for AARP. I think we'll be pretty damn good for awhile too, but if I know Rex I think we'll still be drafting lineman every year. Can never have enough.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4106791]Anybody who has last night's game recorded, after the Rex meltdown, which was awesome BTW, the very next play, Ellis makes an unbelievable play for a rookie.

He's playing NT, and takes on the C, pushes him back, then out of the way to get the first hit on the RB, that pushes him back into the LOS, to be followed by the swarm of the rest of the DL and front 7, as Ellis is about to celebrate, and then quickly realizes the whistle hadn't blown and the RB is not yet completely down, he runs over and dives on top of the pile.

Probably the single best display of the potential of this young stud.

Love everything about him, his attitude, work ethic, he loves playing ball, love following him on Twitter, and to think he's probably still pretty raw from a technique standpoint. This is where I wish Jenkins was still on the team to work with him, but hes probably getting plenty of tutelage from Pouha.

Loving this kid already.[/QUOTE]

And he's great with a bat:D

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4106866]Kenrick would have been selected in the 1st round if not for the off the field stuff. If he played for a really big school he might have gotten selected where Ngata was who knows. Kenrick is a rare talent in ANY draft. I think the Jets were just highly fortunate to get him in the 3rd round. Everything fell in place. This draft class by the Jets might be the best in some time with Mo, Kerley, Kenrick, and even Bilal if he develops into what Tanny thinks he can be. If Mo ends up living up to his 1st round status ... I think this draft class will be a success right off the bat. Kerley looked awesome in special teams last night and I think when thrown in the slot he'll be able to make plays. Kenrick is a player ... its obvious .... when I was in camp he was tipping balls down and he was no where near the line of scrimmage. He has a knack for getting his hands on the ball with good timing but its his height and length that obviously give him that advantage.

I think Kerley is a player but I'm more than sure that Bilal Powell will get playing time this year and we'll see what he's made of. Don't be surprised if all our rookies contribute in some way this year which is more than you can say for [B]last years class[/B]. Their training camp was so short yet they've all looked crisp so far..... This Jets rookie class has a chance to be something special.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think this draft class will be like 2006 -- lots of contributors/useful players. Ellis and Powell (he'll be much better than McKnight) are my favorites in the class. Ellis reminds me of the younger Haynesworth. He may never be as good as Haynesworth was, but he'll be good.

On the other hand, I don't like last year's class. Terminator and Cumberland (UDFA) should be good ones, though.

Undrafted Free Agent
    too bad Calvin Pace and Brian Thomas were a no show

Thats a murderer's row staring across at the qb towering over the OL. These guys looked monstrous in the game and they are deceptively nimble and agile for guys of their height and girth

[QUOTE=Pragmatic Bus;4106954]too bad Calvin Pace and Brian Thomas were a no show[/QUOTE]

Vets who are definite starters rarely shine in preseason. They aren't going balls to the wall like the guys who have a spot to earn. The biggest thing I want to see from Pace this preseason is for him to stay healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Slikmojet;4106886]And he's great with a bat:D[/QUOTE]

It was the other guy who was Batman..:yes:

[QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4106833]I really love his attitude on the field, he plays hard and to the whistle. When he tipped that pass for a INT you see the emotion out there as he went to the sidelines. This guy wants it, I hope he gets out of the trial alright and then stays out of trouble for the rest of his career. My gut feeling was that this guy was going to be a player.
    [IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/IMG_0391_910522.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, I saw him celebrating the tipped pass and loved it. Seems like he is a hard worker who really loves football which is so great to see considering he also has off the charts measurables.

I didnt remember much about dixon from last year, but watched him a lot too...the guy really moves well laterally down the line, seemed like he was always back there chasing the play, which is great.

I think our DLine is really going to be a strength this year. Big upgrade from 2010 IMO