Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Bisciotti hired Harbaugh over Rex

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Bisciotti hired Harbaugh over Rex

[QUOTE]Ravens: Why Bisciotti hired Harbaugh over Rex Ryan
    Story
    Comments
    ShareShare
    Print
    Create a hardcopy of this page
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:20 pm | Updated: 9:29 pm, Tue Aug 16, 2011.
    By Aaron Wilson, Times Staff Writer | 0 comments
    OWINGS MILLS -- In the opinion of Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, it would have been more difficult to bridge the gap between the defense and the offense if the team had hired Rex Ryan as head coach instead of John Harbaugh.
    Bisciotti explained that he was concerned that Ryan, at the time the defensive coordinator, was so entrenched with the defense that it would have been hard for him to coach the entire team.
    Ryan is now the New York Jets coach and has gone to consecutive AFC title games. Harbaugh has led the Ravens to three consecutive playoff appearances.
    "From a chemistry standpoint, we really liked John and we thought it was going to be tougher for Rex to bring the whole team together after him spending 10 years on one side of the ball that was the dominant side of the ball," Bisciotti said during a conference call with season-ticket holders. "I will always be second-guessed. Some people will agree with me and some people won't.
    "I just had to make a gut decision and so far it's worked out pretty well. I hope it gets us to the Super Bowl and brings back a couple of trophies to Baltimore."
    Elaborating on why Ryan wasn't hired, Bisciotti added: "I’ve known Rex for an awful long time. We had struggled for so long on the offensive side of the ball, and we were so dominant on the defensive side of the ball. Through no fault of Rex’s, I think it created a little bit of the haves and have-nots, kind of a big brother-little brother syndrome here."[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-why-bisciotti-hired-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/article_aed9fbca-c86f-11e0-9687-001cc4c03286.html"]http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-why-bisciotti-hired-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/article_aed9fbca-c86f-11e0-9687-001cc4c03286.html[/URL]

Thanks again Ravens. Dumbest reason ever.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    it actually makes sense...

one of rex's criticisms is that he isnt always the most involved on the O side.

he even said it his first years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;4106825]it actually makes sense...

he even said it his first years.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't involved initially because he probably drank the Kool-Aid the Jets were serving to him when he inherited Schotty.

Now, Rex knows Schotty can phone a friend. LOL

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/IMG_0436_734041.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlp9vRydMcuafZF2QwIiBw4-nzRaSZ2GJxyRAmuvaPOcz7rhKOhQ[/IMG]
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-16-2011 at 10:41 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4106818][URL="http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-why-bisciotti-hired-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/article_aed9fbca-c86f-11e0-9687-001cc4c03286.html"]http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-why-bisciotti-hired-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/article_aed9fbca-c86f-11e0-9687-001cc4c03286.html[/URL]

Thanks again Ravens. Dumbest reason ever.[/QUOTE]

Well, if they hired Rex, than Harbaugh would be somewhere else. I'd say it worked out well for both sides.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4106818][URL="http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-why-bisciotti-hired-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/article_aed9fbca-c86f-11e0-9687-001cc4c03286.html"]http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/blogs/sports/ravens/ravens-why-bisciotti-hired-harbaugh-over-rex-ryan/article_aed9fbca-c86f-11e0-9687-001cc4c03286.html[/URL]

i wouldn't say it was dumb. the ravens were horrible on offense besides for Jamal Lewis and Ogden. during those years with kyle boller they had no clue where they were going to go after they drafted Flacco. Brian Billick was an offensive minded coach and he couldn't fix the problem. i don't blame them for not hiring Rex. Anyways it worked out for both sides

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    interesting read.. very happy bisciotti took a pass on rex..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dameangreenkillingmachine;4106834]i wouldn't say it was dumb. the ravens were horrible on offense besides for Jamal Lewis and Ogden. during those years with kyle boller they had no clue where they were going to go after they drafted Flacco. Brian Billick was an offensive minded coach and he couldn't fix the problem. i don't blame them for not hiring Rex. Anyways it worked out for both sides[/QUOTE]

It's a ridiculous reason. Hire the best guy period (based on Xs and Os, leadership, motivational ability, etc.). Don't worry about splitting the team (the chances of that happening are unrealistic). If the defense didn't throw the offense and Brian Billick (alleged offensive genius) under the bus the year they won the superbowl, they were never going to do it. They had no offense that year.

It worked out for both of us. But, if they hired Rex, we wouldn't have been nearly as successful and the Ravens would likely be in the same place they are now at the very least (maybe better since they would have a great Xs and Os coach).

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both are good coaches. Baltimore did fine with Harbaugh and the Jets were lucky Rex got passed over there and became available.

I understand Bisciotti's point though and I got lynched for even touching on the subject in another thread.... [url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232552[/url]

My bottom line is that Rex can be, and is, a good HC for the entire team. But, he clearly is most effective coaching defense. It simply means that he can do more with less on the defensive side of the ball IMO. He can overcome personnel weaknesses or injuries there. On offense Rex has essentially outsourced that side of the ball to Schotty, but give him credit for taking Sanchez with his first ever draft pick and for bringing in Tom Moore this year to supplement the coaching.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex fits the Jets. Nuff said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4106858]Both are good coaches. Baltimore did fine with Harbaugh and the Jets were lucky Rex got passed over there and became available.

I understand Bisciotti's point though and I got lynched for even touching on the subject in another thread.... [url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232552[/url]

My bottom line is that Rex can be, and is, a good HC for the entire team. But, he clearly is most effective coaching defense. It simply means that he can do more with less on the defensive side of the ball IMO. He can overcome personnel weaknesses or injuries there. On offense Rex has essentially outsourced that side of the ball to Schotty, but give him credit for taking Sanchez with his first ever draft pick and for bringing in Tom Moore this year to supplement the coaching.[/QUOTE]

Bill Belichick outsourced the offense to Weiss and stuck to coaching his side of the ball. How did that turn out? Sean Peyton outsourced the defensive side of the ball in New Orleans. How did that turn out? Green Bay with Don Capers?

John Harbaugh outsources the offense and defense.

I think it's an interesting article; I just think the reason doesn't make sense. If they just came out and said we think John Harbaugh is better because he's smarter, a better motivator, whatever, I could understand. But, to say that the reason they didn't hire Rex was because he would split the team, that's insane. If I was Rex, this would add more fuel to the fire.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-16-2011 at 11:15 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4106858]Both are good coaches. Baltimore did fine with Harbaugh and the Jets were lucky Rex got passed over there and became available.

My bottom line is that Rex can be, and is, a good HC for the entire team. But, he clearly is most effective coaching defense. It simply means that he can do more with less on the defensive side of the ball IMO. He can overcome personnel weaknesses or injuries there. On offense Rex has essentially outsourced that side of the ball to Schotty, but give him credit for taking Sanchez with his first ever draft pick [B]and for bringing in Tom Moore this year to supplement the coaching.[/B][/QUOTE]is it fair to say that was an indictment on schotty??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;4106825]it actually makes sense...

he even said it his first years.[/QUOTE]

rex has had as much to do with Sanchez's development as anybody. Schotty's done a GREAT job with him although will never get the credit from cats on this forum but its truth. Sanchez came into the league very raw and inexperienced. Rex has been imperative to Sanchez's progress ... I think he's handled coaching the entire team perfectly. 2 Jets coaches told Rex to take him out of the Buffalo game 2 years ago where he threw 5 INT's ... he left him in there knowing the growing pains will benefit Sanchez and the Jets later. Its Rex's belief and trust in Sanchez ... along with finding ways to challenge him that bring the best out in Sanchez especially in the playoff's.... anyone who thinks Rex is just a defensive coach and doesn't have a stamp on the entire team all around just isn't watching the Jets too close or they're just blind.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

He should have just admitted he screwed up. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i actually think his reasoning is pretty sound.

rex is a killer coach but would he have been able to do the same thing in BALT where he was in fact entrenched on one side of the ball?

the dynamic in the locker room would have been much different.

rex is in the right place at the right time and making the most of it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... think harbaugh is a good coach there ...

... think what rex has done with the jets has been amazing ... harbaugh never would have been able to overcome the defeatist culture exhibited by many ...

... <3 REX!!! ...:lovers:

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im sure in public he's happy he hired Harbaugh but Rex has all the makings of an all-time coach. Ravens missed this one ala Belly and the Jets in 2000

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bearded_Achilles;4107088]im sure in public he's happy he hired Harbaugh but Rex has all the makings of an all-time coach. Ravens missed this one ala Belly and the Jets in 2000[/QUOTE]we didn't miss, he turned the job down..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4107053]... think harbaugh is a good coach there ...

... think what rex has done with the jets has been amazing ... [B]harbaugh never would have been able to overcome the defeatist culture exhibited by many ...[/B]

... <3 REX!!! ...:lovers:

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

hm..actually..a great point...the jets have some extra baggage, some weighted history at least in the eyes of the fans and media..i think it's because we're the only green new york team (not counting the knicks putrid st. patrick's day unis..but getting back...Rex came in guns blazing..before 2009 the Jets were looked at in a completely different light. Mangini? Spygate? All seem like 1000s of years ago..Rex Ryan, I feel, will go on to become 1 of the greatest coaches of his generation. The 2009 Jets layed the blueprint for how to stop the pass-happy offenses of today's NFL. Changed the game his first year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;4107104]we didn't miss, he turned the job down..[/QUOTE]

by severely botching the handling of the transition of power.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly a legit concern seeing how his fathers (Buddy) undoing was that exact reason.