Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who is Robbie Felix....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

So who is Robbie Felix....

With all the talk of shaun ohara and other potential replacements for Rob Turner, one possible reason we havent signed anyone is that his replacement is already on the team.

Robbie Felix was a 4 year starter in college at UTEP, started 46 consecutive games, and was named all conference as a senior. Apparently he had a stroke after his final game which caused him to go undrafted.

It looks like we signed him to a reserve/futures contract in May 2010 and he stayed with the team until he was cut in september of last year. He was then signed to the practice squad and then to another reserve/futures contract in Jan 2011.

Bottom line he as a good college center, good durablity, who had an unfortunate setback. The fact that he has been in callahans system for 2 years is a very good thing and its possible the team thinks hes a good player who is ready to be an interior line backup.

Good article about him below....

[I]Even though new Ravens offensive lineman Robby Felix had started 46 straight games throughout his four-year tenure at UTEP, the promising college prospect was frighteningly close to ending his career not too long ago.

And that is not simply because he was getting ready to drive to California this weekend to begin working in the “real world” for his aunt and uncle.

Hours after Felix played in his final home contest at UTEP, he suffered a stroke that incapacitated the entire right side of his body.

He couldn’t speak. He had to catch himself with his left hand as he fell.

Felix’s wife, Kelly, called 911 to rush the 6-foot 3, 300-pound center to the emergency room.

In a moment, Felix went from what he said some considered as high as a third-round draft pick to someone that would be lucky to get a tryout.

“At that point, I didn’t even know if I would play again,” Felix said after Wednesday’s Organized Team Activity (OTA). “They told me it was a stroke, but I didn’t really know what that was.

“They had no idea what caused it.”

Felix attributes his youth and athletic background for being able to recover from such dire circumstances.

He should also give credit to his resolute spirit.

Felix said it took him a month to re-learn how to talk. Physical therapy sessions helped him regain simple motor skills like eating and writing.

Even then, he had a long way to go before he could even think about returning to the football field.

But Felix set out to do just that, rehabbing at the TEST Sports Club in New Jersey to train for the NFL Scouting Combine in late February.

Then, only three months after the stroke, Felix turned in an admirable performance at the Combine. He bench pressed 225 pounds 33 times and ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 5.19 seconds.

When draft weekend came, however, Felix sat on his couch and watched all seven rounds pass without hearing his name called.

“I sat around for three and a half weeks waiting, and I was getting ready to start my life, but then the Ravens called and gave me an opportunity,” explained Felix, who only takes one Aspirin each morning to guard against any further complications.

One of the big reasons he held on for so long was a conversation with New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi, who also suffered a stroke but returned to the game after eight months.

“He was encouraging, to say the least,” stated Felix. “He just told me to keep fighting, and good things would happen.”

That was when the Ravens contacted him. Felix was fully packed for his move from his El Paso home to the West Coast, joining his family’s construction company.

Instead, he donned a purple No. 69 practice jersey and took his spot with the rest of Baltimore’s offensive linemen on Wednesday.

Felix would probably be the first to admit that he looked fairly lost in his first few professional drills, but the challenge of learning Cam Cameron’s offensive playbook pales in comparison to what Felix has already overcome. [/I]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ex-Miner Robby Felix on comeback after stroke scare
    by Bret Bloomquist \ El Paso Times
    Posted: 12/24/2010 09:43:19 PM MST

As evening turned to night on Nov. 15, 2008, center Robby Felix figured to be UTEP's best NFL prospect, a possible first-day draft pick who had started his 46th consecutive game for the Miners that day.

As Nov. 15 turned to Nov. 16, he was simply hoping for survival as he lay in a hospital bed being diagnosed with a stroke, his pregnant wife Kelly at his side.

"It's crazy how things work out," Felix said Tuesday. He said that from his home in Cedar Knolls, N.J., two years and two weeks removed from that scary day and at an entirely different point in his young life.

Felix is not completely living his dream, but he's awfully close, a practice-squad player for a New York Jets team doing well in the NFL.

He won a championship with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL last season after resurrecting his career by earning a training camp bid with Baltimore in 2009.

"I couldn't even think about this after my stroke," said Felix, whose daughter Brooke is 20 months old. "At that point, I just wanted to get back on the field. I was happy with last year, just getting to go to camp with the Ravens, to play in Las Vegas, to win a championship. If that was it, I would have been fine with it.

"This is great. This is a bonus."

Since his stroke, everything has gone remarkably well for Felix. He was diagnosed with a blood disorder correctable with medication and quickly made a full recovery to the point he was hoping to get drafted. That didn't happen, and when he

didn't get any calls from teams seeking training camp bodies, he moved back to Southern California to put his business degree to use.
    Then, two weeks after the draft, the Ravens opened the football door for him. Felix was a final-day cut by Baltimore, but got a UFL contract and worked his way back, just a step from the big time.

"This is what keeps me in coaching, this kind of success story," UTEP coach Mike Price said. "It's really unusual. Most stories like this end negatively. He was close to his career being over, of even being a healthy adult.

"This couldn't happen to a better guy."

Felix still hasn't played in his first game or even put on a Jets jersey for a regular season game, but other than that he's very much a member of the Jets.

"I'm like everyone else except I don't play on Sunday," he said. "I have to prepare like I'm going to play each game, I go to all the meetings, I learn the technique each week. It's a lot of fun and it's a great opportunity. I have my foot in the door.

"It's kind of like redshirting in college. But if there is one injury to a center or a guard I could get pulled up, or if any other team (in the NFL) has an injury."

This has been an exhilarating year for Felix, starting with the afternoon the Jets told him their plans for him as training camp ended.

"They brought me up to the office on cut day and said, 'It's not all bad news,' " Felix recalls.

The HBO show "Hard Knocks" even had an episode on Jets fringe players that included Felix. He didn't see it at the time, but later watched a recording of the show.

"It was pretty cool seeing myself on HBO," he said.

Lately what he's been watching is his team pull out a succession of remarkably close games.

"We definitely have the team to (go to the Super Bowl)," Felix said. "I can't even imagine what that would be like."

Felix has the option of attending every game in person, but often stays at home to watch on television with his wife and daughter. The Jets' new stadium is 45 minutes from his home near the practice facility, and that 45-minute drive can be a bit on the wild side.

"It's different," he said of life in New Jersey. "I'm from Southern California, my wife is from El Paso, I lived in El Paso for five years. It's definitely different. Driving in New Jersey is unlike anywhere else in the country.

"And the Mexican food isn't very good up here."

At the moment, however, life tastes pretty good for Felix, who is turning his second chance into something quite special.

Bret Bloomquist may be reached at [email]bbloomquist@elpasotimes.com[/email]; 546-6359.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the problem is replacing turner's versatility, not just him as a backup center.

Turner played tight end and other spots on the oline I believe.

Felix will probably be fine as a backup center. He played well Monday night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4107488]I think the problem is replacing turner's versatility, not just him as a backup center.

Felix will probably be fine as a backup center. He played well Monday night.[/QUOTE]

Other then in 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 situations I hate when schotty puts in a 6th Olineman, i just dont see the point and i think it screams that we are either running or if we are passing, there is one less guy to cover. Basically im not worried about replacing turner in the 3 TE set at all.

I really think Felix seems like a competent player who can serve as a good backup center. The thing we will need him to do though, is also serve as a backup guard, which turner did. Id rather ducasse concentrate on playing tackle as he is struggling enough with that position.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4107488]I think the problem is replacing turner's versatility, not just him as a backup center.

Felix will probably be fine as a backup center. He played well Monday night.[/QUOTE]

Agree that Turner is quite versatile but have to believe if he can play center, guard should be a possibility in a pinch as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't this guy practicing at OG with the #1 team at the start of training camp?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, Felix will be just fine backing up Mangold

hopefully Tanny finds a versatile type G/T guy either on the roster or somewhere else so he can cut Vlad the Turnstile in time for week one

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4107502]Wasn't this guy practicing at OG with the #1 team at the start of training camp?[/QUOTE]

wasn't Brandon Moore on the PUP list at the start of training camp?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4107508]wasn't Brandon Moore on the PUP list at the start of training camp?[/QUOTE]

Smart ass, I am not saying that this guy is good because he played there, but that he can play OG. I know Moore was on the PUP list and anyone that had their contracts restructured were not allowed to practice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4107505]IMO, Felix will be just fine backing up Mangold

hopefully Tanny finds a versatile type G/T guy either on the roster or somewhere else so he can cut Vlad the Turnstile in time for week one[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, when i wrote earlier this offseason that it was "insane" that the jets would consider starting vlad at RT on this team, you ripped me for my "doom and gloom opinions".

Not that im surprised to read a 180 degree flip flop from you, but pretty funny stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    maybe Felix can play guard too....

the fact is

Turner was a backup center and represented good depth and versatility. I'm trusting that Tanny can find somebody useful, either already on the roster or from outside who can fill the versatility role adequately until week 6 or seven if Turner is coming back or for the season if Turner is IR'd

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have eyes and have seen that Ducasse is more of a problem than a solution, EaglefanNJ

It's easier for you when a Jet player doesn't work out, since you start out saying every Jet player is no good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4107529]I have eyes and have seen that Ducasse is more of a problem than a solution, EaglefanNJ

It's easier for you when a Jet player doesn't work out, since you start out saying every Jet player is no good.[/QUOTE]

Sure...thats what I do, rip every player. The best part is you say I do that, in a thread i started supporting one of our backups....good call buddy.

Never fails that you cant simply admit you were wrong....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    GO EAGLES

got your Nnamdi jersey yet??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4107534]GO EAGLES

got your Nnamdi jersey yet??[/QUOTE]

Thanks moron, but the Eagles is for BC.

Keep trying though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    why no love for ducasse? he's barely a 1st year player who hasn't had much football experience. it took quite a while for moore to become the guard he is. wasn't he drafted as a dlineman?

[QUOTE=sg3;4107505]IMO, Felix will be just fine backing up Mangold

hopefully Tanny finds a versatile type G/T guy either on the roster or somewhere else so he can cut Vlad the Turnstile in time for week one[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4107502]Wasn't this guy practicing at OG with the #1 team at the start of training camp?[/QUOTE]

Yes he was.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought of all the backups, he looked the best. I know the response will be "that's not saying much'', which may be true, but he still looked good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4107492]Other then in 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 situations I hate when schotty puts in a 6th Olineman, i just dont see the point and i think it screams that we are either running or if we are passing, there is one less guy to cover. Basically im not worried about replacing turner in the 3 TE set at all.

I really think Felix seems like a competent player who can serve as a good backup center. The thing we will need him to do though, is also serve as a backup guard, which turner did. Id rather ducasse concentrate on playing tackle as he is struggling enough with that position.[/QUOTE]
    This guy is a competent player andover achiever much like Slauson, guys who have to fight for evrything. Unlike friggin Ducasse a highly paid, complacent stiff who almost got several teammates permanently mangled

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Rob Turner ran a few pretty mean go-routes last season, I don't know if we have any backup o-lineman that can step in and do that, but we will see! :D:D