Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaxico Burress vs Braylon Edwards

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Plaxico Burress vs Braylon Edwards

Ok, a lot of us were upset when the Jets let him walk. We signed Burress, which was a mixed reaction.

I personally think that Plax was an extremely risky move. The guy hasn't played in 2 1/2 years and naturally there is going to be some rust and conditioning problems. Whether you want to argue it or not, everyone may say he's in "phenomenal shape". It's not game shape, and it's going to take some time.

After looking at the negatives for signing Plax for a while, I actually got to look at him at some Giants games, and some walk throughs for the Jets and I got to see what he actually does better than Braylon.

-Amazing hands. His hands are far superior than Braylon's
    -Route Running. Again, surpasses Braylon by a mile.
    -Size and vertical leap. Taller than Braylon and jumps higher (still at 34 years old).

Of course, Braylon has that younger factor but could Plax actually an upgrade over Braylon?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4107536]Ok, a lot of us were upset when the Jets let him walk. We signed Burress, which was a mixed reaction.

I personally think that Plax was an extremely risky move. The guy hasn't played in 2 1/2 years and naturally there is going to be some rust and conditioning problems. Whether you want to argue it or not, everyone may say he's in "phenomenal shape". It's not game shape, and it's going to take some time.

After looking at the negatives for signing Plax for a while, I actually got to look at him at some Giants games, and some walk throughs for the Jets and I got to see what he actually does better than Braylon.

-Amazing hands. His hands are far superior than Braylon's
    -Route Running. Again, surpasses Braylon by a mile.
    -Size and vertical leap. Taller than Braylon and jumps higher (still at 34 years old).

Of course, Braylon has that younger factor but could Plax actually an upgrade over Braylon?[/QUOTE]

Not sure.

The thing that pissed me off is that despite how much Braylon claimed he wanted to be a Jet, he was/is STILL getting into off-field bull****.

Children need not apply. :mad:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burress hasn't dropped one pass in camp this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you meant in a fight.

Burress did prison time, he knows how and where to shank.

Braylon's on his way though, it's a matter of timing.

:cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point in his career, he is not better then Edwards on the field.

But the Jets wanted no part of Edwards and would not have taken him if he offered to play for free. It wasnt about the money. it was about that the coaches and teammates did not like braylon. He was a cancer.

Next year, we will take a wr in one of the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget his ability to use his body to wall off defenders, and his hands to beat the jam.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as Plax stays on the field and doesn't miss time I truely believe it's an upgrade. Better hands, route running and vert is huge. Plus he's a way better WR in the redzone.

Before plax left for jail he was better than Braylon. I'm pretty confident he can get back to that..It's more on Sanchez than anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4107553]At this point in his career, he is not better then Edwards on the field.

But the Jets wanted no part of Edwards and would not have taken him if he offered to play for free. It wasnt about the money. it was about that the coaches and teammates did not like braylon. He was a cancer.

Next year, we will take a wr in one of the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.[/QUOTE]

The point is that he's different, and how do you know?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4107553]At this point in his career, he is not better then Edwards on the field.
    [/QUOTE]

You don't know this. If Plax stays healthy he can easily put up 1000 and 10.. Which would be better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]If Plax stays healthy he can easily put up 1000 and 10[/QUOTE]

Plax is 34 and hasn't played in 3 years. nobody on the roster had 1,000 yards or 10 tds last year. Come on now.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but claiming Burress is better than Edwards reeks of homerism and is almost as bad as the jet fans who claim Sanchez is a better QB than Freeman.

Braylon was the Jets best receiver last year, not Holmes.

[QUOTE]-Amazing hands. His hands are far superior than Braylon's[/QUOTE]

Edwards had ONE drop last year and zero fumbles. While career wise Edwards has had hands problems and he may possibly revert to having bad hands in the future, last year it was Edwards who had the best hands on the team not Holmes, not Cotchery, nor Keller who all hands a case of the dropsies during the season.

And since when does Burress have amazing hands? He has had drop problems as well with the Giants.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]You don't know this. If Plax stays healthy he can easily put up 1000 and 10.. Which would be better. [/QUOTE]

Hahaha the last time the Jets had a 1,000 yard reciever was Coles back in 2006 and you think Plax could 'easily' pick up a thousand? There's a better chance of LT running for 1,500 yards than Plax of getting 1,000

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Edwards is allergic to the end zone. For our needs, that makes Plax a huge upgrade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Victorious Secret;4107546]Burress hasn't dropped one pass in camp this season.[/QUOTE]
    Hasn't dropped asny in any preseason games for the Jets either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is better doesn't matter now.

We have Burress. Someone else has Edwards.

Done and done.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;4107606]Hasn't dropped asny in any preseason games for the Jets either.[/QUOTE]

He hasn't dropped a meaningful pass in nearly three years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last time a Jert receiver had 10 tds was santana moss in 2003.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4107608]Who is better doesn't matter now.

We have Burress. Someone else has Edwards.

Done and done.[/QUOTE]

Kinda makes you wish you could still lock threads, doesn't it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Burress vs. Edwards thing is tough, honestly. I'm one of the people who thinks there's a potential for this to be an upgrade-- but in some cases, for some obscure reasons.

But, I will say, Plax knows fans ask this question, because he did an interview a week ago and mentioned he'd dropped a pass in practice, and some fan yelled at him, "Braylon would have caught that..." Just, craziness.

In all seriousness, there are going to be so many ways to measure Plax's success, I think, ways not everyone always includes, necessarily.

Like, yes, he's got great hands, he's a huge target, he'll be great for us in the red zone very likely, he can block, but the other things that may be just as important... If he plays even part way to his potential, he's going to draw double coverage, which is what we want. It frees Holmes, Keller, and Mason up, especially.

Gruden even said he talked to the Jets, on Sunday night, about the fact that they want Plax to be someone who makes teams cover them a little differently, and if he can do even that, they'll be extremely happy with what he's bringing to the table, because they want some of the attention of Holmes and Keller. Gruden said he agreed that defenses would be in trouble if Plax took the double teams, because Holmes and Keller would make them pay.

When we had Braylon here, Tone was still drawing a lot of double coverage (per Rex), and in fact, last week, Rex said he and Rob (his brother) were looking at film over the lockout and talking about how Tone was drawing 2 1/2, at times, which he explained as some terminology for the WR having three guys or practically three guys trying to stop you from making a play, or some such. So, given all of that...

I think Plax can be beneficial to us in a myriad of ways, that may make his addition seem like it's an upgrade, even if it's other factors that play in to it.

Not to mention... Tom Moore is here now-- so our game plans may just be more superior this season. Our QB is a year more mature, Tone will be going in to his second year in the system, so things may just flow better in lots of ways that make things seem "upgraded." Plax has two inches on Braylon, making him "scarier" for some defenses-- that happens, people come off of Holmes and Keller to stop him in the red zone-- that happens, Holmes and Keller crush people out there, not to mention Greene and LT...

Anyway, I just think... It's possible that there's potential for him be an upgrade for us, even if he's not at 100% even, given how people will gameplan against us if he's even kind of good, because it's going to be a gamble not to watch out for him-- and, perception is reality, and the perception WAS, that when Plax was playing before he went to jail, he WAS better than Braylon has ever been, and the D-coordinators won't forget that, and will always have to wonder, even if Plax isn't playing well in any given moment-- when he'll turn it on-- which works for us.
    Last edited by lovethejets; 08-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Victorious Secret;4107609]He hasn't dropped a meaningful pass in nearly three years.[/QUOTE]
    Soap in the shower does not constitute a "meaningful pass" in your opinion?