Thread: Hero

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Hero

People throw the word around pretty loosely.

This guy is the real deal; Unarmed, aware of the danger he was putting himself in.

[B][SIZE="5"][B]Quick-thinking hero Antonio Diaz Chacon chased down kidnapper, saved 6-year-old[/B][/SIZE][/B]

BY Lukas I. Alpert
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, August 17th 2011, 12:57 PM

This hero didn't think twice.

New Mexico dad Antonio Diaz Chacon embarked on a wild chase after spotting a little girl being abducted and then pulled her to safety after her kidnapper crashed his car.

The sinister snatching occurred Monday when suspect Phillip Garcia allegedly grabbed the girl off an Albuquerque street and tossed her into his van.

Fortunately for the 6-year-old, Diaz Chacon happened to be doing laundry at a relative's nearby and witnessed the whole thing.

"The way he grabbed her and threw her into the van, I knew it wasn't right," he told The Associated Press.

"I knew I had to catch him. I had to get the girl back from him and take her home, take her back where she belongs."

While his wife, Martha, called 911, he sprang into action - hopping behind the wheel of his pickup in hot pursuit through a maze of streets around a quiet trailer park.

After several minutes, Garcia crashed into a telephone pole and got out. It was only then that Diaz Chacon began to worry.

"When he got down, I was thinking, what if he has a gun," Diaz Chacon said.

But Garcia instead fled on foot, and Diaz Chacon went straight to the little girl and told her he would take her home. Aside from a few bruises, she was unhurt.

Garcia later returned to the wrecked van and was arrested. Cops found packing tape and a tie-down strap hidden under a rock nearby and similar binding implements in the vehicle.

"This little girl was very lucky," said Sgt. Tricia Hoffman. "We can only guess what would have happened to this child."

Diaz Chacon said he was proud to help.

He said he had thought of his own daughters - one 7 years old and the other 5 months old - while giving chase and hopes someone would do the same for him.

Garcia was charged with kidnapping, child abuse and tampering with evidence.

With News Wire Services

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/08/17/2011-08-17_quickthinking_hero_antonio_diaz_chacon_chased_down_kidnapper_saved_6yearold.html[/url]

Thanks for posting.

Many thanks to the guy that didn't hesitate to get involved. Without question a genuine hero.

All League
    we need more stories like this in this country.. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=neevsmazda07;4108014]we need more stories like this in this country.. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Definitely. While we're on the subject of heroes, I will remind you that I was the one to ban DWC.

Just sayin'.

All Pro
    Nice story, restores some faith in the human race.

I can only imagine how proud, as am I, Antonio Diaz Chacon's family must be of him.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4108017]Definitely. While we're on the subject of heroes, I will remind you that I was the one to ban DWC.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Who is DWC?

Banned
    He was doing laundry?

What a faig.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mods, please merge with "Almost Caught the Bad Guys".

:alien:

Ubiquitous illegal immigration commentary in 3.....2.....

Jets Insider VIP
    This really is a serious problem...along the border and in MANY South American countries, children are being abducted and sold in the black market.

TOTALLY #ucked up. Could you imagine, turning your head for a moment and your young child is gone?

I'm gonna start to carry my gun more.:yes:

This guy..illegal or not, should be granted amnesty and given citizenship!

I'd like to think that we would all have done what he did.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4108259]This really is a serious problem...along the border children are being abducted and sold in the black market.[/QUOTE]

Link?

WOW. A great American for sure! I hope the animal kidnapper gets executed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4108296]Link?[/QUOTE]

I was told this in my "spanish class" (yes, really, insert your stupid joke). The teacher is from Columbia and told me that they have a TSA type control at airports now and are checking ALL children very carefully. This is happening in Mexico, and other countries.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

what a great story!

thanks 32

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4108346]I was told this in my "spanish class" (yes, really, insert your stupid joke). The teacher is from Columbia and told me that they have a TSA type control at airports now and are checking ALL children very carefully. This is happening in Mexico, and other countries.[/QUOTE]

My friend and his wife immigrated from Columbia. His wife took his 2 girls (born here) to Columbia on vacation. When trying to fly home they were stopped and told that she needed a letter from her husband to get the girls back to the country to make sure they weren't being abducted. Seemed a little backward to me but whatever. He ended up having to go to the Columbian embassy in NYC to get it all worked out. Took 2 weeks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4108427]My friend and his wife immigrated from Columbia. His wife took his 2 girls (born here) to Columbia on vacation. When trying to fly home they were stopped and told that she needed a letter from her husband to get the girls back to the country to make sure they weren't being abducted. Seemed a little backward to me but whatever. He ended up having to go to the Columbian embassy in NYC to get it all worked out. Took 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

That is basically what the spanish teacher said. She is columbian...girls born here and had a problem with Columbian immigration.

They all seem to be on the same page...she was unhappy but not upset. She knows the problem.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4108346]I was told this in my "spanish class" (yes, really, insert your stupid joke). The teacher is from Columbia and told me that they have a TSA type control at airports now and are checking ALL children very carefully. This is happening in Mexico, and other countries.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Trades;4108427]My friend and his wife immigrated from Columbia. His wife took his 2 girls (born here) to Columbia on vacation. When trying to fly home they were stopped and told that she needed a letter from her husband to get the girls back to the country to make sure they weren't being abducted. Seemed a little backward to me but whatever. He ended up having to go to the Columbian embassy in NYC to get it all worked out. Took 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Colombia.

it's a country, not a college.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4108449]Colombia.

it's a country, not a college.[/QUOTE]

Lo siento...somos gringos.;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4108449]Colombia.

it's a country, not a college.[/QUOTE]

It was also a space shuttle, oh well.

All League
    [url]http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/19/new.mexico.kidnapping/index.html?hpt=hp_t2[/url]

[QUOTE](CNN) -- A man credited with rescuing a 6-year-old girl from an alleged kidnapper came forward Friday to say he is an undocumented immigrant.
    Antonio Diaz Chacon, 23, is originally from Chihuahua, Mexico, and has been living illegally in the United States for four years, according to his wife, Martha, who is a U.S. citizen.
    Martha Diaz, interpreting for her husband, said the couple are afraid of the consequences of coming forward with his immigration status, but "we know that if God put us there at the exact time to be able to save the little girl -- we know that he won't leave us by ourselves."
    The kidnapping attempt occurred Monday night in southwest Albuquerque when the girl went to a neighbor's house to pick up a package of tostadas. After witnessing the attempted abduction, Diaz got in his truck and chased the van the kidnapper was driving.
    Diaz chased the van for several miles before it crashed into a light pole, allowing him to catch up and rescue the girl, police said. He was hailed a hero.
    Diaz says he was compelled to reveal his immigration status after facing questions from the media.
    Martha Diaz said the couple had planned to apply for legal residency, but were told they would need an immigration lawyer.
    "We put it off because we knew it would be a lot of money," she said, adding that mortgage payments and medical bills took priority.
    Diaz said Wednesday that he's no hero.
    His wife told CNN, "He says everybody is calling him a hero, but he feels he is just a normal person who did something for that little girl that anybody could or should have done."
    Phillip Garcia, 29, has been charged with kidnapping and child abuse in the abduction attempt, according to police.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4110762][url]http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/19/new.mexico.kidnapping/index.html?hpt=hp_t2[/url][/QUOTE]

IRRELEVANT..................