Page 61 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1896

Thread: What are you listening to, take 27

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    No disrespect taken, to each their own, I enjoy them.

What about Wolfmother or Kings of Leon or jack White's bands, you ever try them out?
    Another apology from me to Jack White; should have mentioned him earlier as one of the current crop of artists I respect and whose music I appreciate. Kings of Leon? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    For Borgo

'cuz...they're great musicians....
    They are the antithetical equivalent of Donald Fagan's dental work and overall talent of quasi-musical group, Steely Dan (or, "the Archie's of semi-jazz-infused rock).

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I like some of Wolfmother's work, but they are as derivative as they come. This one sounds like early Black Sabbath. I suspect Borgo will not be amused.

The members of Wolfmother should send the remaining members of Zeppelin (and the Bonham Estate) a royalty check. All except for the singer, who is a wailing disaster. All shrill with none of Plants skill and/or feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

The members of Wolfmother should send the remaining members of Zeppelin (and the Bonham Estate) a royalty check. All except for the singer, who is a wailing disaster. All shrill with none of Plants skill and/or feel.
    LOL. This is exactly how I feel about the Black Crowes. Except that Terry Reid is the one who should be getting the royalty checks instead of Led Zep.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    LOL. This is exactly how I feel about the Black Crowes. Except that Terry Reid is the one who should be getting the royalty checks instead of Led Zep.
    I (mostly) like the Crowes, but hear what you're saying, AFC.

The members of Wolfmother should send the remaining members of Zeppelin (and the Bonham Estate) a royalty check. All except for the singer, who is a wailing disaster. All shrill with none of Plants skill and/or feel.[/QUOTE]

The singing annoys me a bit at times, also, but Andrew Stockdale impresses me, he writes all the music, all the lyrics and plays a great lead guitar and sings. If a band can do a halfway decent imitation of the 70's supergroups, they get props from me

Zep ripped off plenty of old blues legends back then, so its no different

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Zep ripped off plenty of old blues legends back then, so its no different
    Agree completely. I would argue that Zep's genius was giving those blues progressions a harder edge, coupled with their own brand of songwriting/performing genius.

I've said before that, IMO, everything in rock is a variation on what Chuck Berry did in the 50s with the blues changes. Break down any great lick and it can be traced back to Berry's shuffles and double stop runs.

Bewildered Beast
    Agree completely. I would argue that Zep's genius was giving those blues progressions a harder edge, coupled with their own brand of songwriting/performing genius.

I've said before that, IMO, everything in rock is a variation on what Chuck Berry did in the 50s with the blues changes. Break down any great lick and it can be traced back to Berry's shuffles and double stop runs.
    And the Great Promoter in the Sky said "sorry about that WWII...here's a kick drum, a snare, and Chuck Berry. Believe me, it will more than make up for the losses..."

you dint no that story, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    And the Great Promoter in the Sky said "sorry about that WWII...here's a kick drum, a snare, and Chuck Berry. Believe me, it will more than make up for the losses..."

you dint no that story, huh?
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    What is your one sentence review? I'm a big Muse fan, but was a bit disappointed with the last album. I haven't dove into this one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    What is your one sentence review? I'm a big Muse fan, but was a bit disappointed with the last album. I haven't dove into this one yet.
    Queeny, same as last few albums.

If not limited, my review is:

A thoroughly modern-rock but equally-bombastic and epic Queen for the 2000's.

How much you'll like that is, of course, dependant on how much you like Queen's style of Operatic Rock Theatre and M.Bellamy's keening epic-voice and ragged techno-esque guitar tones and experimentation.

Personally, despite the nod to Queen, I think they're one of the most unquestionably brilliant acts out there today.

Where Radiohead has become the modern techofizzchill Floyd, Muse has become the modern technooperarock Queen.

Take what the forebears created, and add to it.
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-27-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Last edited by Borgoguy; 09-27-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Queeny, same as last few albums.

If not limited, my review is:

A thoroughly modern-rock but equally-bombastic and epic Queen for the 2000's.

How much you'll like that is, of course, dependant on how much you like Queen's style of Operatic Rock Theatre and M.Bellamy's keening epic-voice and ragged techno-esque guitar tones and experimentation.

Personally, despite the nod to Queen, I think they're one of the most unquestionably brilliant acts out there today.

Where Radiohead has become the modern techofizzchill Floyd, Muse has become the modern technooperarock Queen.

Take what the forebears created, and add to it.
    I might put Big Elf in here, too. With a bit of Heep and ELO pitched in for good measure (no pun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fpkE...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNtR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO80-_eKHXI

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Veteran
    couple of great songs from a relativity unknown band from the 70's- both songs from the Safety in Numbers album, by far their best album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8_aIHXWkH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWl4...eature=related

Singing with Gabriel is his daughter, Melanie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ2hY6Fetw0

Singing with Gabriel is his daughter, Melanie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ2hY6Fetw0
    Saw the show Sunday night. Gabriel was great, as usual.