Page 4 of 95 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to, take 27

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Give me lower Manhattan in 1979-81. One day. No keyboards; real drunks. Kids today would not believe the ****holes that passed for clubs. Incredible.
    A bit before my time and well out of my geographic area. I am sure guys like you and Borgo saw some real wild stuff back in the day!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL. That's classic. Thunders is missed. Seedy as it was in spots, I miss Manhattan from those days.

Thanks, "VR". Always dug that song. Y&T is another underrated band. They were usually not this pop oriented. Love the fashions on the hot babes.
    Completely underrated, as were many of the metal bands back then. Of course there were plenty that were overrated too!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

My kids have had this on their Itunes for months and I'm sure it's been overplayed

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Welcome to 5 months ago
    That's what I said.

_

Quote Originally Posted by VonRotten View Post
    A bit before my time and well out of my geographic area. I am sure guys like you and Borgo saw some real wild stuff back in the day!
    Assuming there were enough posters from that era on JI, that would make for a really fun thread. I was 20 years-old at the time of the vid below. F**k getting old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5MJB3SunQ&feature=fvst

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP

Undrafted Free Agent
    Assuming there were enough posters from that era on JI, that would make for a really fun thread. I was 20 years-old at the time of the vid below. F**k getting old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5MJB3SunQ&feature=fvst
    Beats the crap that was made when I was 20!

Beats the crap that was made when I was 20!
    Every era has great and garbage groups. That said, for me, 1966-1978 will never be duplicated for the sheer volume of phenomenal rock tunes and bands. A close second is the original rock 'n' roll era (1955-57, IMO), especially the iconoclastic blasting onto the charts by Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Every era has great and garbage groups. That said, for me, 1966-1978 will never be duplicated for the sheer volume of phenomenal rock tunes and bands. A close second is the original rock 'n' roll era (1955-57, IMO), especially the iconoclastic blasting onto the charts by Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Little Richard.
    True about that. For me it was the eighties, especially after MTV, and by 1985 I was all about the metal. Luckily, my older sister's taste bridged the gap back to the 60s and 70s for me. It seems a lot of my friends that had older siblings were the same way. Still, I look at what was in during the 90s and there isn't a whole lot there and today is music industry has become a complete joke.

True about that. For me it was the eighties, especially after MTV, and by 1985 I was all about the metal. Luckily, my older sister's taste bridged the gap back to the 60s and 70s for me. It seems a lot of my friends that had older siblings were the same way. Still, I look at what was in during the 90s and there isn't a whole lot there and today is music industry has become a complete joke.
    I'd look again. (As far as rock/metal goes at least)

I like this cover by the aforementioned Maynard James Keenan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzyWKWu4TLs

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by dkaz003 View Post
    I'd look again. (As far as rock/metal goes at least)

I like this cover by the aforementioned Maynard James Keenan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzyWKWu4TLs
    You're right. There was good music being made. I guess I should have said that there wasn't much that resonated with me at the time. Actually, I find myself discovering things I dismissed or ignored.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    More chick stuff, sorry I just cant help it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRZC4G1oIag
    I saw Diane Birch open up for James Morrison a few years back at a small club here and met her and a few band members. Pretty cool chick and the music wasn't too shabby either.

Interesting to see a lot of Neko Case here. Never listened to any of her stuff but she opened up for My Morning Jacket the other night (what a SICK show) and she came out and sang "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RX4zjLaaoo

Anyone giving you grief for appreciating GaGa does not understand music, especially the rarity of being a successful singer/songwriter who is able to compose hits. In any idiom, there is talent. She has it. Gaga writes the songs, plays her own keyboards, and sings with the vocal dexterity and passion many of whom in that pop world (think the "auto tuned divas too numerous to mention) can only dream.
    Another intelligent music post, Borgo. I have always felt the same way. My wife has loved her stuff from day one and while it's not my cup of tea, I respect her musical talent immensely.
    Last edited by RageATL; 08-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.