Page 75 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1887

Thread: What are you listening to, take 27

  1. #1481
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,486
    Heard of this chick in Scotland, and then caught her on an episode of Top Gear. Her songwriting isn't anything crazy, and the sound is poppy, but there's something about her voice. It's so strong with such a distinct gaelic lilt. It's pretty impressive, to me anyway.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em1SAPmEmIw

    Here's some Jersey blasphemy as she covers Dancing in the Dark. Again, there's something about that voice

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQGmyOgnXsQ

    Finally, just some raw Scottish nationalism. These people deserve independence.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZasPlwQwU
    Last edited by Bonhomme Richard; 04-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.

  2. #1482
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,842

  3. #1483
    Great song, even though the performance leaves a little something to be desired. A band like The Who would have really blown this out of the water. The song is crying out for some "sloppy" Keith Moon-style drumming (and I almost never say that) and more powerful vocals. Would have loved to hear Entwistle playing the bass line in the outro as well.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2HmJuSp5Q

  4. #1484
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What a phenomenal live version of the song. RIP Ray Gillen.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xskProI_DAo
    Great one. One of my favorite lead singers of all time, if not my absolute favorite.

  5. #1485

  6. #1486
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Great song, even though the performance leaves a little something to be desired. A band like The Who would have really blown this out of the water. The song is crying out for some "sloppy" Keith Moon-style drumming (and I almost never say that) and more powerful vocals. Would have loved to hear Entwistle playing the bass line in the outro as well.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2HmJuSp5Q
    High praise, as Townshend and The Who in the early days were heavily influenced by The Kinks' and their rough guitar driven sound.

    As I recall, The Who's first big hit--"I Can't Explain--resulted from the success and vibe of "All Day and All of the Night" and "You Really Got me".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yQRiEtxA5A

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3h--K5928M

    EDIT:

    Found the article I had remembered.

    "I worshipped The Kinks and never let a bad word about them pass my lips, so I conceded. But I believe it was something people were discovering all over London. These big amps that Marshall were turning out – you couldn't stop the guitars feeding back!"

    But you did try to turn it into something musical, didn't you?

    "Oh yeah, you can hear it on the records. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, the solo, on the note A I would flick a harmonic, get it feeding back and then go 'dit-dit-dit-dar-dar' with the switch. And by standing at certain angles I could get incredible sounds out of it, some of which were just characteristics of the Rickenbacker body, which I stuffed with paper.

    "You could control it and it could be very musical – certainly that sort of thing where you hit an open A chord and then take your fingers off the strings... The A string is still banging away but you're hearing the finger-off harmonics in the feedback.

    "Then the vibrating A starts to stimulate harmonics in other strings and it's just an extraordinary sound, like an enormous plane. It's a wonderful, optimistic sound and that was something that happened because I was posing – I'd put my arms out, let go of the chord then find that the resulting noise was better."

    Is it correct that The Kinks' single You Really Got Me influenced you to write Can't Explain to attract the attention of the Kinks' Producer?

    "That's right. I had two songs, one called Talking Generation, which became My Generation, and Can't Explain. We picked Can't Explain as the first song to play him and I re-did the original demo with staccato chords. Listening to it, it's a craftsman-like pop record of the time and a lot of people's favourite Who record. Shel Talmy was producing a particular kind of sound in the studio, a particular kind of arrangement."


    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...nd-1990-530325
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 04-07-2013 at 11:10 AM.

  7. #1487
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Great one. One of my favorite lead singers of all time, if not my absolute favorite.
    Wat to short a time to showcase those amazing pipes.

    AFC, what's your take on Eric Singer's drumming? I think he's a consummate professional.

  8. #1488
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Wat to short a time to showcase those amazing pipes.

    AFC, what's your take on Eric Singer's drumming? I think he's a consummate professional.
    I agree. I haven't listened to any of his work with KISS, so I am not that well-acquainted with the bulk of his catalogue. But I thought he did a very nice job with Badlands and with Sabbath (including on the below track, my favorite from his and Gillen's all-too-brief time in the band together). I view him in the same class as a handful of high quality, yeomen-like, hard rock drummers of the 80's and 90's such as Denny Carmassi, Randy Castillo, etc.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYv3yM0tTVI

  9. #1489
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    High praise, as Townshend and The Who in the early days were heavily influenced by The Kinks' and their rough guitar driven sound.

    As I recall, The Who's first big hit--"I Can't Explain--resulted from the success and vibe of "All Day and All of the Night" and "You Really Got me".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yQRiEtxA5A

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3h--K5928M

    EDIT:

    Found the article I had remembered.

    "I worshipped The Kinks and never let a bad word about them pass my lips, so I conceded. But I believe it was something people were discovering all over London. These big amps that Marshall were turning out you couldn't stop the guitars feeding back!"

    But you did try to turn it into something musical, didn't you?

    "Oh yeah, you can hear it on the records. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, the solo, on the note A I would flick a harmonic, get it feeding back and then go 'dit-dit-dit-dar-dar' with the switch. And by standing at certain angles I could get incredible sounds out of it, some of which were just characteristics of the Rickenbacker body, which I stuffed with paper.

    "You could control it and it could be very musical certainly that sort of thing where you hit an open A chord and then take your fingers off the strings... The A string is still banging away but you're hearing the finger-off harmonics in the feedback.

    "Then the vibrating A starts to stimulate harmonics in other strings and it's just an extraordinary sound, like an enormous plane. It's a wonderful, optimistic sound and that was something that happened because I was posing I'd put my arms out, let go of the chord then find that the resulting noise was better."

    Is it correct that The Kinks' single You Really Got Me influenced you to write Can't Explain to attract the attention of the Kinks' Producer?

    "That's right. I had two songs, one called Talking Generation, which became My Generation, and Can't Explain. We picked Can't Explain as the first song to play him and I re-did the original demo with staccato chords. Listening to it, it's a craftsman-like pop record of the time and a lot of people's favourite Who record. Shel Talmy was producing a particular kind of sound in the studio, a particular kind of arrangement."


    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...nd-1990-530325
    Funny, I had thought "Till the End of the Day" recalled Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere as well as this particular performance of "I Can't Explain".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf0d2Rx52wI

    Didn't realize that they were actively trying to emulate the Kinks on this track -- thanks for posting that article.

    There are 4 Kinks songs that for me really capture the power-chord, heavy, sound of the band: All Day and All of the Night, You Really Got Me, I Need You, and Till the End of the Day. The first two are masterpieces and should never have been covered by anyone, including (especially?) Van Halen. I like I Need You very much, but it is very derivative of All Day and All of the Night and is probably best left as the relatively obscure track it is today.

    Till the End of the Day is the only one of the 4 that I feel is really missing something. It is a A+ song with what I think is a B-level performance. I would love to have heard The Who cover that one.

  10. #1490
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I agree. I haven't listened to any of his work with KISS, so I am not that well-acquainted with the bulk of his catalogue. But I thought he did a very nice job with Badlands and with Sabbath (including on the below track, my favorite from his and Gillen's all-too-brief time in the band together). I view him in the same class as a handful of high quality, yeomen-like, hard rock drummers of the 80's and 90's such as Denny Carmassi, Randy Castillo, etc.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYv3yM0tTVI
    Absolutely. Love that song, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Funny, I had thought "Till the End of the Day" recalled Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere as well as this particular performance of "I Can't Explain".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf0d2Rx52wI

    Didn't realize that they were actively trying to emulate the Kinks on this track -- thanks for posting that article.

    There are 4 Kinks songs that for me really capture the power-chord, heavy, sound of the band: All Day and All of the Night, You Really Got Me, I Need You, and Till the End of the Day. The first two are masterpieces and should never have been covered by anyone, including (especially?) Van Halen. I like I Need You very much, but it is very derivative of All Day and All of the Night and is probably best left as the relatively obscure track it is today.

    Till the End of the Day is the only one of the 4 that I feel is really missing something. It is a A+ song with what I think is a B-level performance. I would love to have heard The Who cover that one.
    You're right. There is not that spark of energy. The Who from their Live at Leeds era would have crushed that tune.

  11. #1491

  12. #1492
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,842

  13. #1493
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRxqYoZiYPU

    @ the Beacon Theater May 16, 17 & 18. I'll be there 3rd row Center Orch on Friday the 17th. Fck yeah!

  14. #1494

  15. #1495

  16. #1496

  17. #1497
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I saw Albert at the old Lone Star on lower 5th. He spoke to the audience the same way he interviews SRV there; laid back; avuncular.

    My favorite King.

  18. #1498




    Last edited by Beerfish; 04-11-2013 at 05:22 PM.

  19. #1499
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,392
    That's a great set list Beer. Blue Rodeo; sounds good.

  20. #1500
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,842

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us