Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell talked Vick out of Bengals/Bills

Goodell talked Vick out of Bengals/Bills

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-he-didnt-want-to-play-for-the-eagles/[/url]

If I'm the Bengals or Bills, I'm all sorts of pissed right now. :yes:

This just sits badly with me. How can the commish interfere with where a player goes?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4108290][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-he-didnt-want-to-play-for-the-eagles/[/url]

This just sits badly with me. How can the commish interfere with where a player goes?[/QUOTE]

Easy, cuz it's Baddell. This is called collusion elsewhere, but because it's Baddell and the NFL, it's OK. While he won't outwardly do so, people don't realize the influence he has on the game. He needs to be gone. :yes:

[QUOTE=RageATL;4108298]Easy, cuz it's Baddell. This is called collusion elsewhere, but because it's Baddell and the NFL, it's OK. While he won't outwardly do so, people don't realize the influence he has on the game. He needs to be gone. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Ya I'm starting to realize that. I used to defend him, somewhat, for a lot of the things he's done, but it seems like he's getting worse and worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4108290][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-he-didnt-want-to-play-for-the-eagles/[/url]

This just sits badly with me. How can the commish interfere with where a player goes?[/QUOTE]

Tags talked Woody and Bradway into hiring Hermie..:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4108290] How can the commish interfere with where a player goes?[/QUOTE]

The same way he made sure the Pastriots* evidence disappeared.

:rolleyes:

He's also suspending Terrell Pryor 5 games for something that happened in college.

He's the worst.

[QUOTE=Matt39;4108307]He's also suspending Terrell Pryor 5 games for something that happened in college.

He's the worst.[/QUOTE]

This might very well be the worst decision yet....how can you suspend someone for something that happened in College....I wonder if Pryor can appeal.....He might be better off just sucking it up and entering the draft next year.

[QUOTE=32green;4108305]The same way he made sure the Pastriots* evidence disappeared.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

To me that's the most egregious thing he's ever done. Small penalty for cheating and basically saying it really wasn't a big deal - but we're going to destroy the evidence so no one could actually the depth at which the cheating occurred. I lost faith in Goodell after that...

telling a player where to go is up there though. Something should be done about this. I sure hope the Bengals and Bills press this.

All Pro
    Makes sense - thought a Vick stood a better chance of relapsing in CIN or BUF... Roger's always concerned with NFL's global PR and they were certainly alot of eyes tracking the Vick story.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Paradis;4108326]Makes sense - thought a Vick stood a better chance of relapsing in CIN or BUF... Roger's always concerned with NFL's global PR and they were certainly alot of eyes tracking the Vick story.[/QUOTE]

It's what commissioners do. That's why Stern tried to talk James into staying in Cleveland, why he helped Kobe to LA. Why Selig helped free up ARod to Yanks. Their only real job, to keep the image of the league intact and on it's best terms.

Goodell gets ridiculously bad press, gets blamed here for sh1t that the commissioner has nothing to do with, other than to implement what the owners, his bosses, tell him too. Last week we had fans killing him for the KO rule, as if he came up with it.

[QUOTE=Paradis;4108326]Makes sense - thought a Vick stood a better chance of relapsing in CIN or BUF... Roger's always concerned with NFL's global PR and they were certainly alot of eyes tracking the Vick story.[/QUOTE]

relapsing to what? Playing in Buffalo wouldn't have led him to any more issues than he would have had anywhere else. Commissioner shouldn't ever be involved in any player or team's on field decisions.

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;4108317]This might very well be the worst decision yet....how can you suspend someone for something that happened in College....I wonder if Pryor can appeal.....He might be better off just sucking it up and entering the draft next year.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how the players association would be okay with Goodell suspending players for college incidents.I think it's the same as the players association having issues with Goodell going after people who had run-ins with the law during the lockout. They don't think Goodell should be able to suspend/penalize players for violations during the lockout, why would they be okay with Pryor's suspension?

Does the 5 game suspension have any impact other than a loss of 5 game checks? Would Pryor be an impact player on any team in the NFL for the first 5 games?

All League
    Persuading FAs to sign with certain teams seems to be overstepping his bounds by quite a bit. This isn't like Stern basically forcing Dolan to hire Donnie Walsh because he needed to be saved from himself. This is steering high profile players into his largest markets and upsetting league parity.

That said, glad he's not in Buffalo.

Buffalo, I don't understand. However, Cincinatti was having all kinds of problems with their players and the law at the time. Had Vick gone there, he would be back in the slammer by now. So for Vick's sake, he was much better off in Philly than Cinci.

The NFL is Goodells own personal fiefdom, that has been apparent for some time. I've never seen a pro sports league that had a commish with such overhelming power and it is more than a little troublesome. He has way over stepped his bounds on a number of occasions.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ozu;4108345]Persuading FAs to sign with certain teams seems to be overstepping his bounds by quite a bit. This isn't like Stern basically forcing Dolan to hire Donnie Walsh because he needed to be saved from himself. This is steering high profile players into his largest markets and upsetting league parity.

That said, glad he's not in Buffalo.[/QUOTE]

Like Stern allowing Kobe and Shaq to go to LA?

Or helping ARod and the PA work out the contractual issues to get him to NY?

Every commish does this.

Mike Vick should be very grateful that he listened to the Goodell and signed with Philly instead of Buffalo or Cinci. Vick learned to become a real QB, not just a runner, and now is as big of a star as he once was. Its better for the league to have Vick good again and that is Goodell's mission. I don't have a problem with this. Vick made the choice on his own. Goodell and officals gave him their opinion on where to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    I hate Goddell but its good that Vick didnt end up on the bengals. He would probably be back in jail like the rest of the bungels.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RageATL;4108298]Easy, cuz it's Baddell. This is called collusion elsewhere, but because it's Baddell and the NFL, it's OK. While he won't outwardly do so, people don't realize the influence he has on the game. He needs to be gone. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I dunno. My guess is he was prodded by someone to do so. Why would Goodell care where Vick went.