Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salguero of Miami Herald: QB Ratings

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Salguero of Miami Herald: QB Ratings

[url]http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/08/two-days-ago-eli-manning-went-on-michael-kays-radio-show-in-new-york-and-made-the-case-for-himself-as-an-elite-quarterback-a.html[/url]

I'll give the guy some credit, I really thought he was going to say Sanchez and Henne are tied.

[B]A look at QB ranking, Pryor, supplemental draft[/B]Two days ago Eli

Manning went on Michael Kay's radio show in New York and made the case for himself as an elite quarterback, a "top five" quarterback. He further said, "I don't consider myself a 25-interception quarterback."

Look, everyone has a right to their opinion, but facts are a wonderful things. And the facts say last season Eli Manning threw 25 interceptions. (Note to Eli Manning: That makes you a 25-interception quarterback).

I may say I'm not a chubby dude, but the scale says I'm a chubby dude. Facts. Get it?

At any rate, as the quarterback topic is something of a big topic in South Florida, I decided to see exactly who are the top five NFL quarterbacks. And the top 10. And the next five in the middling 15. And then the next below average 15. And, of course, the most terrible two at the back of the line.

My quarterback ranking 1-32? It's purely my opinion. It isn't necessarily based on statistics from a year ago alone. It is, once again, my opinion.

Lessgo!

1. Tom Brady.

2. Phillip Rivers.

3. Peyton Manning.

4. Aaron Rodgers.

5. Drew Brees. (Hurts, doesn't it?)

6. Michael Vick. (Dolphins once signed Marcus but looked away from Michael two years ago).

7. Ben Roethlisberger.

8. Josh Freeman (Superstar in the making).

9. Matt Ryan.

10. Tony Romo.

11. Eli Manning (You're not top 5, brother).

12. Matt Schaub.

13. Joe Flacco.

14. Jay Cutler.

15. Matt Cassel.

16. David Garrard. (Can the Dolphins trade for him?).

17. Matt Stafford (When healthy which is none too often).

18. Kyle Orton (The Dolphins tried to trade for him).

19. Carson Palmer (Would be ranked much higher if he was, you know, playing this year).

20. Sam Bradford (He'll be much higher by next season).

21. Matt Hasselbeck. (Much, much higher when healthy).

22. Donovan McNabb.

23. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Sounds crazy but check the tape).

[B]24. Mark Sanchez (Hurts).[/B]

25. Vince Young (Would be higher if he could keep his head together).

26. Alex Smith.

27. Jon Kitna.

28. Jason Campbell.

29. Chad Henne.

30. Tarvaris Jackson.

Tie, 31. Derek Anderson.

Tie, 31. Jake Del Homme

33. Jimmy Clausen.

Obviously, Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne -- the starter for "right now" in Tony Sparano's words -- is not very high on my list. How could he be based on his last two seasons?

Remember Henne's resume in those two years speaks whispers for itself: More TDs than INTs both seasons. Under .500 both seasons. Both seasons out of the playoffs. Benched twice last season.

And that leads me to some questions:

Am I blind to put Henne so far down the line? What am I not seeing? What do the Dolphins see that I and, I suspect, many of you don't? If the Dolphins don't see any better than we do, how could they possibly come out of the past two seasons and enter this training camp without even legitimate competition for Henne in the current training camp? Can Henne completely change his stripes and become a good quarterback this year?

Can the Dolphins still find another option at quarterback?

On that last question, you should know the NFL has set its supplemental draft for Monday. Tyrelle Pryor has been made eligible for that draft. The Dolphins are expected to be represented at Saturday's workout Pryor will put on for teams in the Pittsburgh area.

Will they use a late-round pick on Pryor?

Frankly, Pryor is a long, long, long range project. He proved in college he is coachable because he improved as a player at Ohio State. But he wasn't necessarily good. He couldn't lead his team to a conference title. His arm strength is average at best and accuracy is inconsistent.

Is he worth a seventh-round pick? Maybe.

In my opinion, North Carolina 3-4 OLB Michael McAdoo, Western Carolina's Torez Jones, and Lindenwood's 314-pound DE Keenan Mace, are better prospects than Pryor. Defensive back Tracy Wilson is also in the supplemental draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's just trying to get Jets fans riled up by putting Sanchez so low, he kind of gave it away with his parenthetical aside.

No knowledgeable NFL analyst would put Sanchez [B]below[/B]
    Flacco
    Garrard
    Orton
    Palmer
    McNabb
    Fitzpatrick (!)

And there are some others that could go either way, like Cassel and Romo.

Pretty ridiculous article, I wish people would stop posting Salguero on here because he isn't objective. People get so mad at troll Chowd and Fin posters, but seem to tolerate articles from people who are just as bad at trolling.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    salguero's list is retarded because well he's salguero

but further then that

1) he has a retired player on his list
    2) he has backups mixed in with starters

fail

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do we keep opening threads on Miami beat writers? unless it the week of the dolphins game, who cares?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than having Sanchez a too low, it's actually a decent list. I can understand many ranking Mark in the mid-teens, but to rank him at number 24 is simply Salguero trying hit the nerves of those annoying New Yawkas who have the audacity to root for the Jets in his backyard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simijet;4108549]Other than having Sanchez a too low, it's actually a decent list. I can understand many ranking Mark in the mid-teens, but to rank him at number 24 is simply Salguero trying hit the nerves of those annoying New Yawkas who have the audacity to root for the Jets in his backyard.[/QUOTE]

He has Josh Freeman at number 8 and Matt Schaub at number 12?

Phillip Rivers above Peyton Manning?

There's something very wrong with this list...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    these miami beat writers are like the wayne's world of television.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4108566]He has Josh Freeman at number 8 and Matt Schaub at number 12?

There's something very wrong with this list...[/QUOTE]

Okay, Freeman at number 8 is probably a little high and is most likely based on Salguero's belief (which is shared by many) that Freeman will be a star.

But, what's wrong with Schaub at 12?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simijet;4108549]Other than having Sanchez a too low, it's actually a decent list. I can understand many ranking Mark in the mid-teens, but to rank him at number 24 is simply Salguero trying hit the nerves of those annoying New Yawkas who have the audacity to root for the Jets in his backyard.[/QUOTE]

He has Carson Palmer (retired), Vince Young (Backup QB in Philadelphia), Derek Anderson (3rd string QB in Carolina), and Jake Delhomme (out of the League) all ranked. This is not even near a good list

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJets90;4108631]He has Carson Palmer (retired), Vince Young (Backup QB in Philadelphia), Derek Anderson (3rd string QB in Carolina), and Jake Delhomme (out of the League) all ranked. This is not even near a good list[/QUOTE]

Point taken:O

I was looking more at the upper end of the list.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    why is vick ahead of big ben, who is clutch and has won 2 super bowls?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simijet;4108583]Okay, Freeman at number 8 is probably a little high and is most likely based on Salguero's belief (which is shared by many) that Freeman will be a star.

But, what's wrong with Schaub at 12?[/QUOTE]

Or that he plays in Florida. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow just a horrid list is this from last year? You'd think you'd at least trust the coaches watching these guys. DA right now is the #3 in Carolina and Clausen who is ahead of him on the depth chart is below? Big Ben should not be that low. He is a low life but the mans work on the field is excellent and it is hard to argue with his results.

I am a HUGE Freeman fan but 8? Not even I have the brass cohoonies to do that. Not over Eli, Schaub, Ryan, and Flacco. There are also a few missing. 33 listed with 4 BUs on here that I see. And is Jake Del even playing anywhere? McCoy is the starter and I'm pretty sure Cleveland cut Jake.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4108566]He has Josh Freeman at number 8 and Matt Schaub at number 12?

Look for Freeman to fall flat on his face this year. He has not had any expectations or media pressure. watch him fold like a cheap tent.
    Can you imagine how bad it must feel to be a Dolfag fan?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people see Freeman as a superstar in the making. 8 is high but not crazy.

Manning is coming of a neck injury and getting up there in age. Putting Rivers ahead of him is not that much of a stretch.

Sanchez ranking was rediculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    these ratings are just such bs. looking at the qb ratings and how awful some qb's really look it's hard to see how guys like bradshaw or plunkett ever stayed in the league let alone win superbowls. or even take a qb like elllway for that matter. i guess the position gets both way more credit and not enough credit at the same time. some qb's just win and some look very pretty losing.

i am totally against brady being ranked number 1 this or any year. he is a classic system qb who plays on a team that plays better as a team than just about anyone. last season? take away the +26 turnover ratio and you have a sub 500 team. both manning and roethlisberger are far better at making plays than girlie man brady. sanchez? all he's doing is winning and that counts for quite a bit. the completion percentage can come up but even there he has a decent yards per attempt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Hasselbeck? Garrard? LOL those guys are garbage.

McNabb is dunzo. And I don't see anything from Cassel when they play a good team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simijet;4108583]Okay, Freeman at number 8 is probably a little high and is most likely based on Salguero's belief (which is shared by many) that Freeman will be a star.

But, what's wrong with Schaub at 12?[/QUOTE]

lol, what Schaub did in 2009 was unbelievable...

He then followed up in 2010 with another great year... Lower than 2009 but top 7 performance wise nonetheless...

Ranking Freeman/Manning/Ben/Romo/Ryan ahead of him is a joke... Purely from a statistical standpoint...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4108537]Why do we keep opening threads on Miami beat writers? unless it the week of the dolphins game, who cares?[/QUOTE]
    Yep, why waste time and space on this deadbeat?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cutler and Freeman are way too high. Other than that it's not an awful list. I think Sanchez should be closer to around 16-18, but it's easy to rank him where he is.

He's had some awful games, guys. I mean, Henne is universally considered to be awful and their career numbers are pretty much even. The big difference is that A) Sanchez wins (although it could be argued he's on a much more talented team) and B) Sanchez has been clutch, while Henne is anything but.

Let's just hope Sanchez is on the cusp of a breakout season.