Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's All Over Buy The Crying: The DREAM of Anmesty is Here

JetsInsider.com Legend

It's All Over Buy The Crying: The DREAM of Anmesty is Here

[QUOTE][B][U]Obama Administration to Review All Deportation Cases, Apply DREAM Act-Style Criteria[/U][/B]

The Obama administration announced Thursday that it would launch a case-by-case review of illegal immigrants slated for deportation, in a move that could grant a reprieve to so-called DREAM Act beneficiaries and thousands of others.

The DREAM Act is a proposal in Congress to give illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children a chance at legal status if they complete two years of college or military service. Though the bill has not passed, supporters and critics alike suggested Thursday's announcement could serve to unilaterally carry out its provisions.

A spokeswoman with the Federation for American Immigration Reform described the new policy as "blanket amnesty."

But Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a letter to Senate Democrats that it would "enhance public safety" by focusing deportation efforts on those "who pose a threat."

Under the plan, DHS and the Department of Justice will review all cases in removal proceedings as well as any new cases to make sure those who are deported meet the kind of criteria established in a June 17 agency memo.

The memo from Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director John Morton instructed staff to consider 19 factors when exercising "prosecutorial discretion" -- or the discretion an ICE attorney has in deciding whether and how to pursue an immigration case. The list includes factors similar to those in the DREAM Act, like whether someone arrived in the U.S. as a "young child," is pursuing an education or has served in the military.

Thursday's announcement goes beyond the memo by establishing a process to flag and exempt certain illegal immigrants from deportation. A team of attorneys and officials will be tasked with reviewing the more than 300,000 cases in the system.

An ICE memo obtained by FoxNews.com said the effort would not provide "categorical relief for any group," but would try to prevent "low-priority" cases -- like those not involving convicted criminals -- from clogging the system.

Cecilia Munoz, White House director of intergovernmental affairs, wrote on the White House blog that the review would "clear out low-priority cases on a case-by-case basis and make more room to deport people who have been convicted of crimes or pose a security risk" -- while ensuring the low-priority cases are kept "out of the deportation pipeline in the first place."

Describing groups of people similar to those targeted in the DREAM Act, she said the low-priority list would include "individuals such as young people who were brought to this country as small children, and who know no other home," as well as "individuals such as military veterans and the spouses of active-duty military personnel."

She said that with more than 10 million people in the country illegally, the strategy is meant to focus limited resources on those who pose the greatest risk.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid praised the decision.

"This new DHS directive will help prioritize our limited enforcement resources to focus on serious felons, gang members and individuals who are a national security threat rather than college students and veterans who have risked their lives for our country," Reid said in a statement. "I am especially pleased about the impact these new policies will have on those who would benefit from the DREAM Act. ... We lose a lot by sending them back to countries they do not know."

Reid said Congress should still pass immigration reform legislation.

Napolitano also stressed in her letter that the new process "will not alleviate the need for passage of the DREAM Act or for larger reforms."

But FAIR described the announcement as a complete overhaul of immigration law without approval by Congress.

"Having failed in the legislative process, the Obama administration has simply decided to usurp Congress's constitutional authority and implement an amnesty program for millions of illegal aliens," FAIR President Dan Stein said. "This step by the White House amounts to a complete abrogation of the president's duty to enforce the laws of the land and a huge breach of the public trust. ... In essence, the administration has declared that U.S. immigration is now virtually unlimited to anyone willing to try to enter -- and only those who commit violent felonies after arrival are subject to enforcement."[/QUOTE]

Failed to pass Congress, President does it anyway.

Done and done. The DREAM is now a reality. Congrats illegals, you won. Be sure to vote Democrat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE][B][U]DHS to conduct case-by-case review on deportation[/U][/B]

Washington (CNN) -- In a move that could shake up the U.S. immigration system, the Department of Homeland Security will begin reviewing all 300,000 pending deportation cases in federal immigration courts to determine which individuals meet specific criteria for removal and to focus on "our highest priorities."

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said the review will enhance public safety. "Immigration judges will be able to more swiftly adjudicate high-priority cases, such as those involving convicted felons," Napolitano wrote Thursday in a letter to Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Illinois, and 21 other senators, including Indiana Republican Richard Lugar.

Napolitano said the Obama administration has frequently pointed out "it makes no sense to expend our enforcement resources on low-priority cases, such as individuals... who were brought into this country as young children and know no other home."

Officials say immigration court dockets are clogged, putting public safety in jeopardy, costing money, resources and time. They want to see DHS enforcement resources diverted from illegal immigrants who don't have criminal records to individuals who pose a threat to public safety and national security.

A senior administration official, who requested anonymity because details of the policy change had not yet been announced, told reporters 79% of deportations involve people without a criminal record -- people who have just entered the country illegally or had been previously deported and re-entered.

Napolitano said the new policy change would not negate reforming immigration laws and "will not alleviate the need for passage of the DREAM Act," which would give legal status to illegal immigrant students who attend college or join the military. She added, "President Obama has called the DREAM Act the right thing to do for the young people it would affect, and the right thing to do for the country."

Under the new process, a DHS and the Department of Justice working group will develop specific criteria to identify low-priority removal cases that should be considered for prosecutorial discretion, including cases with minors, the elderly, pregnant and nursing women, victims of serious crimes, veterans and members of the armed services and individuals with serious disabilities or health problems.

Durbin expressed support for the Obama administration announcement, saying in a written statement that it was "the right decision" specifically as it relates to students.

"These students are the future doctors, lawyers, teachers and maybe, senators, who will make America stronger," Durbin stated. "We need to be doing all we can to keep these talented, dedicated, American students here, not wasting increasingly precious resources sending them away to countries they barely remember."

The National Day Laborer Organizing Network, an organization advocating improved rights for day laborers, praised the move. "The administration had earned the President the title of 'Deporter-in-Chief.' We hope the statement today announcing review of the current caseload of victims of indiscriminate enforcement is carried forth," the group said in a news release.[/QUOTE]

And another viewpoint (CNN this time) on it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Fear of the brown man.

Hall Of Fame
    Unreal.

Obama wipes his ass with The Constitution again, and it'll just be shrugged off

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Making Carter look good is starting to become a habit by these morons?

Have they even heard of the constitution?

I love the Durbin comment about the students

[QUOTE]"These students are the future doctors, lawyers, teachers and maybe, senators, who will make America stronger," Durbin stated. "We need to be doing all we can to keep these talented, dedicated, American students here, not wasting increasingly precious resources sending them away to countries they barely remember."[/QUOTE]

Ya know, cause no citizens would want to go to school to work toward those jobs!

Oh, and can we stop including 'senators' with other professions that actually contribute to society??

All League
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4109020]Unreal.

Obama wipes his ass with The Constitution again, and it'll just be shrugged off[/QUOTE]

unbelievable... this will only put the country deeper into debt.... all for votes....
    this makes me sick to my stomach...

All League
    [QUOTE=Piper;4109043]

Oh, and can we stop including 'senators' with other professions that actually contribute to society??[/QUOTE]

+56 :yes:

All Pro
    Worthless Ted kennedy, senile Reagan, and US hating Obama: the perfect recipe for a 45 year death of a 1,000 cuts for a once great country.

All League
    we where what china is now..... as far as economies are concerned.. is there any union stranglhold over there?? is peta running rampant as well??? what kind of social entitlement programs are there as well??? probably the complete oppsite of what is going on over here... :(

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=FF2;4108950]Fear of the brown man.[/QUOTE]

Disagree with a liberal, you're a racist.

Nice to see that chestnut never gets old.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Warfish;4108851] to make sure those who are deported meet the kind of criteria established in a June 17 agency memo.

[/QUOTE]

Presumably, illegally entering this county is not one of the criteria.

Remind me again, whats the detererrent to illegal immigration?

-

All League
    [QUOTE=32green;4109107]Presumably, illegally entering this county is not one of the criteria.

-[/QUOTE]

no more jobs.
    and the fact that the country's currency you came from is worth more than the american dollar.... :yes:

Obama wipes his ass with The Constitution again, and it'll just be shrugged off[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=Warfish;4109098]Disagree with a liberal, you're a racist.

Nice to see that chestnut never gets old.[/QUOTE]

+2

[QUOTE=32green;4109107]Presumably, illegally entering this county is not one of the criteria.

-[/QUOTE]

+5

It should not be shrugged off.

Sadly, the constitution has been abused for years and years; this is only the latest example. How many wars were started, by both parties, circumventing the constitution-that includes military operations too (like Iran-Contra).

Our country is ill because our political system has been bought and paid for by special interest groups
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 08-18-2011 at 11:47 PM.

All League
    If you grew up here, are productive and have no criminal background you can stay.

At some point, you just want to get something done. Perhaps you overstep your bounds and get pushed back, but if I were in the oval office right now, I'd be going through whatever doors were open to me to accomplish things - because as it stands now, I've let Congress b****slap me for 3 years.

Jets Insider VIP

And a blind-spot for legalities out of a sense misplaced guilt.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4109098]Disagree with a liberal, you're a racist.

Nice to see that chestnut never gets old.[/QUOTE]

+8.7

-[/QUOTE]

Fences?

:dunno:

Next, Obama will declare coke smuggling border jumpers will get a free college education and be eligible to run for President of the U.S.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4109169]If you grew up here, are productive and have no criminal background you can stay.

At some point, you just want to get something done. Perhaps you overstep your bounds and get pushed back, but if I were in the oval office right now, I'd be going through whatever doors were open to me to accomplish things - because as it stands now, I've let Congress b****slap me for 3 years.[/QUOTE]

And that's his own damn fault. He's basically allowed Nancy Pelosi to run the show when the Democrats had the House majority. No leadership at all.

Jets Insider VIP

If it's fine...change the law.

No one really cares what color they are.... there is a legal procedure set up for this process.

What the OBAMA administration is doing is tantamount to treason. I know it sounds harsh, but clearly they are violating federal immigration law directly in front of the american people.

perhaps we should think which laws are OK and which are not?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Here is what it comes down to for me:

This is a clear-cut case of the Executive, who is constitutionaly tasked with enforcing Federal Law, engaging in "selective enforcement" as they see fit, under any circumstances and political agendas they see fit.

Ask yourself this:

Imagine the "worst possible President" to you personally, a man/woman who supports everything you are against, and desires to crush everythign you support.

Would you want THAT President to have de facto Dictatorial Power to selectively enforce (or ignore) the Law, congressional legislation, for whatever ends he/she saw fit?

Try and imnagine that, and the system we'd have then. Sure, if you are pro-illegal immigration (as many liberals are), this is a win.

Imagine the next guy is an (R), and thinks some deeply held Law isn't worth enforcement, but only "selective enforcement" as they see fit. Since (D) thinks (R) are all racists, lets use Civil Rights Laws.

Imagine the outrage if Civil Rights Laws were "selectively enforced" by the Executive branch, based on their political views.

Obviously I am strongly against ILLEGAL immigration, as a legal immigrant myself. But if Congress changes the Law, congress changes the Law, it's not illegal, and while I may not like it, it's the Law. Same reason I don't smoke Pot, it's illegal, period.

But to have the executive (regardless of party) have the power to pick and choose what laws to enforce, and how much to enforce them, effectively breaks the entire Division of Power we have in our Nation.

So ask yourself if you want the enxt guy, a next guy who may differ from your views 100%, selectively enforcing the Laws as he sees fit.