Thread: Our Tax Dollars at Work

Our Tax Dollars at Work

[QUOTE]Air & Space
    [B][U][SIZE="6"]Aliens Could Attack Earth to End Global Warming, NASA Frets[/SIZE][/U][/B]

Read more: [url]http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/19/aliens-could-attack-earth-to-end-global-warming-nasa-scientist-claims/#ixzz1VUP6hx3i[/url]

UNIVERSITY PARK, Penn. We've all heard of the ravaged rain forests and the plight of the polar bear. But as far as reasons for saving the planet go, the one offered by scientists Thursday is truly out of this world.

A team of American researchers have produced a range of scenarios in which aliens could attack the earth, and curiously, one revolves around climate change.

They speculate that extraterrestrial environmentalists could be so appalled by our planet-polluting ways that they view us as a threat to the intergalactic ecosystem and decide to destroy us.

The thought-provoking scenario is one of many envisaged in a joint study by Penn State and the NASA Planetary Science Division, entitled "Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis."

It divides projected close encounters into "neutral," those that cause mankind "unintentional harm" and, more worryingly, those in which aliens do us "intentional harm."

Extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) "could attack and kill us, enslave us, or potentially even eat us. ETI could attack us out of selfishness or out of a more altruistic desire to protect the galaxy from us. We might be a threat to the galaxy just as we are a threat to our home planet," it warns.

One such scenario is the stuff of many a Hollywood blockbuster, a "standard fight-to-win conflict: a war of the worlds." But another might resonate more with fans of Al Gore's documentary film "An Inconvenient truth."

It speculates that aliens, worried we might inflict the damage done to our own planet on others, might "seek to preemptively destroy our civilization in order to protect other civilizations from us."

"Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilizational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere (e.g. via greenhouse gas
    emissions), which therefore changes the spectral signature of Earth," the study says.

"While it is difficult to estimate the likelihood of this scenario, it should at a minimum give us pause as we evaluate our expansive tendencies."

But before we brace ourselves for alien annihilation, the report suggests things could turn in humanity's favor.

"As we continue the search for extraterrestrials into the future, perhaps our thinking about the different modes of contact will help human civilization to avoid collapse and achieve long-term survival," it suggests.[/QUOTE]

It's nice to see we're paying top men on this vital issue, the pending threat of Global Warming-offended Aliens about to invade.

Top.

Men.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4109495]It's nice to see we're paying top men on this vital issue, the pending threat of Global Warming-offended Aliens about to invade.

Top.

Men.[/QUOTE]
    Aliens are tree huggers? Who knew...

prepare to see them on democratic roles for voting purposes :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You have been told time and time again that cutting gov't expenditures is unrealistic. I would suggest higher taxes to expand this and other vital research:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    I was going to post this too. It is basically a mixed review of Science Fiction and Liberal Fiction plot lines from the past 40 years. This is definitely worth while!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The story line from Armageddon seems too realistic for these foks

[QUOTE=Piper;4109679]You have been told time and time again that cutting gov't expenditures is unrealistic. I would suggest higher taxes to expand this and other vital research:yes:[/QUOTE]

+1

I had no idea the aliens would see the change in our atmosphere over the course of a century and come hunt us down for destroying a planet (solar system) that is hundreds of millions of light years from their own...

Who knew :i_dont_kn

I won't be able to sleep tonight...

[QUOTE=Piper;4109728]The story line from Armageddon seems too realistic for these foks[/QUOTE]

To be fair, some of these same folks are probably working on the project to shoot a satellite at an asteroid to see if they can change its course later this decade...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Piper;4109728]The story line from Armageddon seems too realistic for these foks[/QUOTE]

Not to this guy!!!

I'm fairly certain that a dude on a white horse with a sword for a tongue is going to unleash locusts and turn the oceans to blood to kill global warming. :P

Jets Insider VIP
    I think those guys must have just watched the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" - same exact plot.

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SSZ5TlxPOP0/Stv7W_P2d2I/AAAAAAAAAAc/seXeiLx7LXQ/s400/Will+Smith+Independence+Day+2.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Yet another example of the scientific method being co-opted in the name of the highest bidder, for political and/or profitable motives. I'll bet they'll point to "peer-reviewed" studies in an attempt to legitimatize their views/agenda. And as usual, the lazy press will report only the talking points whilst the mostly naive public consumes and parrots the half-truths.

Phucking scientific whores...:steamin:

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4109743]Not to this guy!!!

I'm fairly certain that a dude on a white horse with a sword for a tongue is going to unleash locusts and turn the oceans to blood to kill global warming. :P[/QUOTE]

I think we both know He's gonna end a lot more than global warming;)