Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaddafi Making Plans To Leave Libya, NBC Reports

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Gaddafi Making Plans To Leave Libya, NBC Reports

[URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/gaddafi-making-plans_n_930987.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/gaddafi-making-plans_n_930987.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]

Embattled Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi may be preparing to flee the country within days, according to NBC News.

U.S. officials told NBC that intelligence reports suggest Gaddafi is in the process of making plans to evacuate from Libya with his family. The reports indicate he may be headed to Tunisia, where it is possible he will be granted exile.

At least seven loud blasts were heard in Tripoli early Friday morning as bombs fell in the vicinity of Gaddafi's main headquarters of Bab al-Aziziya.

On Tuesday, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the Libyan leader's days appeared to be numbered. "Gaddafi's forces are weakened," he said.

Last week, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon offered sharp criticism of the situation in Libya, saying he was "deeply concerned by reports of the unacceptably large number of civilian casualties."

[/QUOTE]

I can't see the reason for this. A new puppet will be in his place anyway.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4109971]I can't see the reason for this. A new puppet will be in his place anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason is the People of Libya hate him and are actively trying to kill him.

[QUOTE=Buster;4109973]I think the reason is the People of Libya hate him and are actively trying to kill him.[/QUOTE]

So 'NATO' will insert another dictator....and the beat goes on.......

Every few days the "news" reports that he's going to flee. Good thing
    the state is spending money killing people.

so first Bin Ladin, now Quadaffi falling...

Obama is dominating foreign policy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Obligatory "WHARGHARBLE"

Have a nice day.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4112791]
    Obama is dominating foreign policy.[/QUOTE]

Troll.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4112839]Troll.[/QUOTE]

I support our President. Perhaps you are the troll.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4112791]so first Bin Ladin, now Quadaffi falling...

What did we win?

What was in it for us, the American citizen and taxpayer?

How is the average American's life improved via this War?

Was the benefit to the United States, and it's people, worth all the people (innocent and millitary alike) we killed in the various air strikes, and all the money spent to do it?

What, exactly, did (do) we win by his ouster, in terms of Foreign Policy? How did this War change the place of the United States in the World?

And how does this unilateral millitary domination differ from the old "Cowboy Diplomacy" we heard so much about in the past?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4112858]
    And how does this unilateral millitary domination differ from the old "Cowboy Diplomacy" we heard so much about in the past?[/QUOTE]

Big difference. There is a liberal in power now so cowboy diplomacy is in fashion.

Note the absence of the anti-war left since January 2009?

The use of military is the failure of policy.

LOL

[QUOTE=Warfish;4112858]What did we win?

What was in it for us, the American citizen and taxpayer?

How is the average American's life improved via this War?
    [/QUOTE]

besides the terrorist threat of Libya (very real, see Lockerbie bombing), the Libyan oil production is more vital to the world markets than Iraqs. So in a very real sense gas prices will be lowered by a peaceful resolution of this war.

to be clear Obama didn't start this thing, the Libyan people did... NATO just helped em along. It's all part of Arab Spring, which in general is good for the USA. We'd rather have theocratic democracies than brutal dictatorships.

and let me add there's a huge difference between waging an airstrike, covert campaign and doing what W Bush did, essentially committing hundreds of thousands of troops to a war of occupation.

people think i'm anti-war that's untrue... i'm anti DUMB war. Iraq and Afghanistan, have 3000 mile supply lines and we can't reach victory conditions. Libya we can win... and we are.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4112858]And how does this unilateral millitary domination differ from the old "Cowboy Diplomacy" we heard so much about in the past?[/QUOTE]

1.) Didn't cost 2 trillion dollars

2.) Didn't take 10 years

3.) Wasn't marked with dumba**ery like handing cold hard cash to terrorists.

4.) Wasn't marked by idiocy like shipping cold hard cash on pallets and then not writing down where it was spent.

5.) Wasn't marked by stupidity like paying private companies $10/gallon to haul gas into a country full of oil.

6.) Used technology over manpower to fight a war because it's 2011...not 1942.

7.) Wasn't full of empty platitudes like "turning the corner", "pay for itself", "cakewalk" and "throwing flowers at our feet"...

8.) Wasn't further marked by Keystone Kop-like planning by failed Nixon Administration employees.

9.) Hasn't been used as a prop by the Obama Administration a la "Let's stand in front of troops and make speeches so we can seem more patrio-fantastic than my opponent"...

10.) Wasn't written about 10 years prior in a democrat "Project for a New American Shaft Groper" and then followed through and played off as like "We never planned to do that"...

[QUOTE=bitonti;4112896]besides the terrorist threat of Libya (very real, see Lockerbie bombing)[/quote]

So Libya, post-US-led Carpet Bombing, is no longer a terrorist threat?

[QUOTE]the Libyan oil production is more vital to the world markets than Iraqs[/QUOTE]

So this was a War for Oil?

[QUOTE]to be clear Obama didn't start this thing, the Libyan people did[/QUOTE]

A percentage of the Libyan people did, about 25-30%.

[QUOTE]It's all part of Arab Spring, which in general is good for the USA. We'd rather have theocratic democracies than brutal dictatorships.[/QUOTE]

Why? Specificly.

[QUOTE]and let me add there's a huge difference between waging an airstrike, covert campaign and doing what W Bush did, essentially committing hundreds of thousands of troops to a war of occupation.[/QUOTE]

It is possible for a liberal to defend the Libyan War without basing that defense of the two worst Wars their Liberal President has kept going?

Iraq does not legitimize Libya in and of itself. Both can be mistakes.

[quote]Libya we can win... and we are.[/QUOTE]

Again, I dont; see what we've "won", apart from killimg alot of people and assisting the UK/Italy/France with their Oil needs. We choose to get involved in a Civil War, picked a side, and killed the other side.

Tell me Bit, who is the leader of the Libyan Rebellion and what ideals does he stand for specificly....without using wikipedia or google.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4112918]7assisting the UK/Italy/France with their Oil needs. [/QUOTE]

it's a global market. there is no Italy price and USA price. there's 1 price for oil.

and yes i think the terrorist threat is way reduced without Kaddafi. This is a guy who did perpetrate real acts of terror, as a head of state.

let's be honest it's been a goal of US foreign policy to get rid of this dude for about 30 years. it shouldn't matter that a democratic President is the one that did it or a Republican one... whoever is in charge, the foreign policy goals remain the same.

All League
    Is it hypocritical to get involved in another war after 8 years of b*tching about the other two? Yes.

Despite that, was this war handled better? Yes.

We did not invade, we had a broad coalition and we supported a revolution against an dirtbag dictator that came about [B]naturally[/B].

There was no soaring rhetoric "we gotta fight 'em over there so they don't come here", there are no lies about WMD's and ties to Al Qaeda, and our mission is all but complete in about a year - without having invaded or occupied with hundreds of thousands of US soldiers.

You can b*tch and moan all you want about the hypocritical liberals and the double standard, but the situations and the outcomes are far better for Obama than they were for W - at a much lower cost to us.
    Last edited by SafetyBlitz; 08-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4112937]it's a global market. there is no Italy price and USA price. there's 1 price for oil.[/quote]

Oil still comes from specific places, and goes to specific places. Yes, there is a global Oil Market, but to claim Libyan Oil doesn't (historicly, pre-Civil War) go to specific buyers is an outright falsehood.

[QUOTE]and yes i think the terrorist threat is way reduced without Kaddafi.[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll see. Still waiting for you to name the Leader(s) of the Rebellion, and their/his geopolitical stances without looking it up.....guessing I may be waiting a while on that one.

[QUOTE]let's be honest it's been a goal of US foreign policy to get rid of this dude for about 30 years[/QUOTE]

And your source for that claim is......what again?

Do I need to go back and check your replies pre-Civil War, when they released the Lockerbie Bomber, and see what you thought then Bit?;)

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4112986]Is it hypocritical to get involved in another war after 8 years of b*tching about the other two? Yes.[/quote]

Agreed.

[QUOTE]Despite that, was this war handled better? Yes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[QUOTE]We did not invade, we had a broad coalition and we supported a revolution against an dirtbag dictator that came about [B]naturally[/B].[/QUOTE]

Terminology used to shield dishonesty yet again.

Yes we invaded, with bombs and planes and on-the-ground "advisors" aplenty. trying to say Bombing the piss out of a country to help rebels take it over from it's Govt is somehow different than us doing it....is a stretch when it comes to end results. We kill them one way or the other, only the weapon system used is different.

As for Broad Coalitions, this was only more broad because the Euro Nations had a specific and direct Oil Interest in Libyan Oil, a main supplier for the NATO Nations who talked us into joining the fight.

[QUOTE]There was no soaring rhetoric "we gotta fight 'em over there so they don't come here", there are no lies about WMD's and ties to Al Qaeda[/QUOTE]

And without any clear-cut U.S. National Interests at stake. Plenty of Euo Oil Interests tho (what ever happened to no blood for oil....I guess Libyan Civilian blood is worth a little less, eh?)

[quote]You can b*tch and moan all you want about the hypocritical liberals and the double standard, but the situations and the outcomes are far better for Obama than they were for W - at a much lower cost to us.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This Millitary campaign, one of lobbing missiles from beyond the horizon at whatever they might happen to hit (alot of dead civillians this style of War you know, the next generation of terrorists I thought the Lbs were fod of saying), has clearly worked to defeat the Libyan Millitary.

Of course, the Iraqi and Afghani millitaries were toppled in days. It wasn't the Wars we lost in Iraq and Afghanistan, it was the touchy-feely, and yes very liberal idealistic, Nation-Building-hearts-&-Minds Occupations afterwards.

We win all our Millitary Wars. Declared and Otherwise. We always lose in the post-War occuptions/rebuilding/whatever.

And that has yet to start in Libya. Try and remember that. We doposed their Govt.......think we'll want a hand in what replaces it (a la Iraq) or will we simply bugger off and leave it to them? Be interesting to see how that works out, and how much we spend on them going forward.

End of the day, both sides are hypocrites, and support mass-killing as long as their guy is in power. I'm comfotable knowing I was against both Iraq and Libya, and was not boght and sold by my party loyalty.