Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Day the Movies Died

[QUOTE=JStokes;4111348][B]I am disappointed in you my friend.
    [/B]
    There was absolutely NO reason to remake that movie and less of a reason to cast that doosh as Arthur.

Those two factors alone will prevent me from even watching a commercial about that POS, much less watch it in it's entirety.

_[/QUOTE]

LOL. A thousand pardons. Although I would have expected the appropriate usage of a comma in your first sentence. :D

No way I would have spent money to see that POS in a theater, especially with the minimally gifted Russell Brand in the iconic title role. We always try to find a flick which is appropriate for my son to watch with us. This is the only reason this abysmal version was put on our Netflix list. The original [I]Arthur[/I] almost got me kicked out of the theater for my incessant howling.

Dudley Moore, and partner Peter Cook (and their personas, Derek and Clive), are two of my comedy idols from that era. Why they would have chosen to reprise the film with someone with none of Dudley Moore's talent is mind boggling.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Hollywood film industry always has and always will be about profitability. Outside of the "favor" or "pet" films, Hollywood will continue to generate this crap as long as people continue to pay to see it.

What has compounded the issue, and what the author seems to have neglected to get into the real difference this time is the testing aspect. People like the familiar. They respond favorably to things (people, music) they recognize.

The other huge factor, and he only hit on this at the end, is that people no longer need to go to the movies, so they are made for people who are going out regardless.

This is all a big yawn to me because 1. this is not anything new and 2. quality is out there be it via premium cable or independent films. and with my widescreen homne theater, I'm not crying over the death of Hollywood.

All League
    I just hope the poison doesn't affect HBO and the like from creating quality series like The Wire.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4111348]I am disappointed in you my friend.

There was absolutely NO reason to remake that movie and less of a reason to cast that doosh as Arthur.

Those two factors alone will prevent me from even watching a commercial about that POS, much less watch it in it's entirety.

_[/QUOTE]

Felt the same way about Willy Wonka....seriously. A PERFECT masterpiece re done and IMO, disrespected. Gene Wilder was in top form.

All League
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4111602]Felt the same way about Willy Wonka....seriously. A PERFECT masterpiece re done and IMO, disrespected. Gene Wilder was in top form.[/QUOTE]

+1

My kids prefer the Johnny Depp version...:(:mad: Ugh...akin to a fast food remake of a gourmet dish.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4111627]+1

My kids prefer the Johnny Depp version...:(:mad: Ugh...akin to a fast food remake of a gourmet dish.[/QUOTE]

Grumpy old men is US.;)

Practice Squad
    I made a decision yesterday to never go to the cinema again.

There have been only a handfull of films over recent years that i have considered decent, im not even that old, just a film lover.

Im seeing the story slowly dissapear before my eyes into a haze of explosions and cgi in every new film that comes out.

Which film put me off cinema you might ask? Super 8. Produced by Speilberg who was involved in some of my childhood favourites, i really felt this film would not fail to produce....... 50million dollers of absolute crap, i fely no connection to any of the cast and the story was super poor.

When i arrived home i decided to watch a film that has been on the shelf for a while but i have never got round to watching. It was called "Sling Blade". Written, Starred and Directed by Billy Bob Thornton, i was expecting an average movie from a guy on his directorial debut. I was absolutley blown away! I was engrossed from start to finish in an origional story that cost the production company under a million to produce and under 5 for me to buy (Super 8 cost 8.50 entry).

Where did the simple story go from all the new films? I grew up with Ghostbusters, Close Encounters, Goonies, which were all pretty much kids films but they had origional storylines, they wernt sequals or adaptations from comics, but they were enthralling.
    I just cant see myself paying to go to the cinema again. The last few films i have been there to watch were just painfull to sit through.

But then again everything in this world goes around in cycles, the current way of doing things will get boring and people will stop watching Superman Rebooted 8 or Ice Age 16 and Hollywood will revert back to its old ways.
    If they dont the ever changing technology will have people making their own films and selling them digitally over the net.

I go to the movies now when I want some popcorn and a nap. I enjoyed a particulary satisfying one during the film that that article slobbers all over -- Inception.