Thread: Chicago police must pay 330k for killing dog in home raid

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Chicago police must pay 330k for killing dog in home raid

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chicago-police-must-pay-330k-killing-dog-home-200148841.html[/url]

Chicago police must pay 330k for killing dog in home raid
    By Liz Goodwin | The Lookout – 3 hrs ago
    tweet64Share6
    Email
    Print
    A federal jury says Chicago law enforcement must pay $330,000 to a family after officers shot their dog during a home raid that turned up no illegal activity.
    Thomas Russell, then 18, opened the door to his home in February 2009 to find police officers with their guns drawn. He asked if he could lock up his 9-year-old black labrador, named Lady, before letting the officers inside. The Chicago Tribune describes what happened next:
    Police refused the request and came into the house, the lawsuit said. When Lady came loping around the corner with her tail wagging, Officer Richard Antonsen shot the dog, according to the suit, which alleged excessive force, false arrest and illegal seizure for taking the dog's life.
    The cops handcuffed Russell and his 16-year-old brother, and eventually charged Russell with obstructing their operation. He was found not guilty. According to NBC, the jury awarded $175,000 to Russell, $85,000 to his little brother, and $35,000 each to the brothers' parents. The officer who shot the dog owes $2,000 in damages, and his supervisor owes $1,000, according to NBC.
    A law enforcement spokeswoman told the Tribune that the officers were protecting themselves.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be more accurate to say Chicago tax payers for the dogs death.

And seriously, who is afraid of a Labrador?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4110189]officer who shot the dog owes $2,000 in damages, and his supervisor owes $1,000, according to NBC.[/QUOTE]
    That's where it should stop.

$3k is plenty for a dog and, hey, I love dogs.

$3k, $30K, $300k (!) - no amount will bring it back.

Lesson learned? Quit acting like criminals or your dog gets it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will gladly offer up my dogs life for that deal..Buddy I love ya, but Daddy needs to get paid!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4110223]I will gladly offer up my dogs life for that deal..Buddy I love ya, but Daddy needs to get paid!!![/QUOTE]

=======================================

LOL, hilarious.:)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4110215]That's where it should stop.

$3k is plenty for a dog and, hey, I love dogs.

$3k, $30K, $300k (!) - no amount will bring it back.

Lesson learned? Quit acting like criminals or your dog gets it.[/QUOTE]

=======================================

Who learned the lesson, the kids found to be completely innocent, the taxpayers that paid the damages, or the officer who shot the dog?

My guess is none of the above.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    does the city get the chance to appeal?

doing that would likely be cheaper than paying

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4110285]does the city get the chance to appeal?

doing that would likely be cheaper than paying[/QUOTE]

How dare you the people have spoken, citizens are always right vs. the big horrible gov't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4110249]the kids found to be completely innocent[/QUOTE]
    Riiiiight.

I'm sure they are two fine young examples of our nation's youth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly the citizens deserve better

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why were the cops there in the first place?

Don't you need a warrant to enter a house?

Guns drawn? Seriously?

So much of this story doesn't make sense.

Also, I like dogs more than most people. **** that power hungry, trigger happy cop, and take the money out if his pension.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And things just get worse.

the parallel's of this story with my original OP are compelling and disturbing.

[QUOTE]Police officer shot dead after pointing stun gun at man's dogs as he attended domestic
    By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    Last updated at 1:18 AM on 14th August 2011

A police officer killed while responding to a domestic disturbance in a small eastern Pennsylvania borough had pointed a stun gun at two dogs before being shot, court records reveal.
    Freemansburg police officer Robert Lasso had pointed at the attacking dogs when the homeowner pulled out a shotgun and fired the fatal blast on Thursday evening.
    In police custody, the alleged gunman, 46-year-old George Hitcho Jr, said he had told Mr Lasso to get off his property and not come on unless he had a warrant, authorities said.

Killed: Robert Lasso was shot dead as he attended a domestic disturbance
    'He tried to kill my dogs and pointed a gun in my face,' Hitcho said, according to the documents. 'I do not care if you a cop or not ...Unbelievable.'
    The officer had been responding to a report of a disturbance and ended up at the back of Hitcho's house, authorities said.

More...
    Police charge suspect after three-year-old girl disappeared while playing outside home
    Irish bartender 'raped Manhattan tourist during threesome'
    Police Chief George Bruneio, who arrived after Mr Lasso requested assistance, instructed him to 'shoot the dogs' and that's when the homeowner pulled out a shotgun and fired, authorities said.
    Mr Lasso, 31, a married father of two, was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
    Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett has ordered flags in the Capitol complex and in Northampton County to be flown at half-staff to honour Mr Lasso.

Disturbance: The owner of the Pennsylvania home allegedly told Mr Lasso to get off his property before shooting him

Honoured: Mr Lasso, 31, was a married father of two
    Mr Lasso's family said they were devastated.
    'Robert, he was so good,' said his mother, Elsie Stem. 'He was so loved, especially by his kids. Now they have to grow up without a daddy. It's not fair.'
    Mr Lasso's funeral will be held on Tuesday. Yesterday a procession was held in his memory as his body was transported from hospital to a funeral home.

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025812/Police-officer-Robert-Lasso-shot-dead-pointing-stun-gun-mans-dogs.html#ixzz1VEVFeemy[/url][/QUOTE]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4110397]And things just get worse.

the parallel's of this story with my original OP are compelling and disturbing.[/QUOTE]

Completely other side of the spectrum, but even more crazy. RIP officer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4110403]Completely other side of the spectrum, but even more crazy. RIP officer.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is not the complete other side of the spectrum. The officers in both stories were legally in the residence executing a search warrant. Their guns should absolutely be out when executing a search warrant, police knock and announce therefore if there is a bad guy in the house they "know" you are coming in.

The Chicago police dept. had a valid search warrant and dogs are a major problem because no one knows what a dog may or may not do when entering the dwelling.

It is safe to say you have zero experience when it comes to search warrants so please try not to comment on something you completely do not understand.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4110490]Actually it is not the complete other side of the spectrum. The officers in both stories were legally in the residence executing a search warrant. Their guns should absolutely be out when executing a search warrant, police knock and announce therefore if there is a bad guy in the house they "know" you are coming in.

The Chicago police dept. had a valid search warrant and dogs are a major problem because no one knows what a dog may or may not do when entering the dwelling.

It is safe to say you have zero experience when it comes to search warrants so please try not to comment on something you completely do not understand.[/QUOTE]

I saw no mention of a warrant in either story.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4110502]I saw no mention of a warrant in either story.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Jenny Hoyle, a city’s Law Department spokeswoman, said they are “extremely disappointed” with the verdict. [B]“The officers involved in this case were executing a valid search warrant when this incident occurred and were simply protecting themselves,” Hoyle said.[/B] “We are extremely disappointed and reviewing all of our options. In particular, we think the damages awarded to the plaintiffs were excessive.”
    [/QUOTE]
    [url]http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/7150734-418/jury-awards-family-300000-after-police-kill-mans-dog.html[/url]

My mistake the officer killed in PA was responding to a 911 domestic disturbance call.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4110490]Actually it is not the complete other side of the spectrum. The officers in both stories were legally in the residence executing a search warrant. Their guns should absolutely be out when executing a search warrant, police knock and announce therefore if there is a bad guy in the house they "know" you are coming in.

It is safe to say you have zero experience when it comes to search warrants so please try not to comment on something you completely do not understand.[/QUOTE]

There was no mention of a warrant in the first link posted. As such, that's why I was confused why they entered a property without (mention of) a warrant, especially with their guns drawn.

It must have been some dangerous dog if the city awarded the family over $300k in damages.

By "opposite side of the spectrum", I meant there are two situations where the citizen is completely not at fault in one case and completely at fault in the other, and it ended horribly in both instances.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 08-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4110582]There was no mention of a warrant in the first link posted. As such, that's why I was confused why they entered a property without (mention of) a warrant, especially with their guns drawn.

It must have been some dangerous dog if the city awarded the family over $300k in damages.

By "opposite side of the spectrum", I meant there are two situations where the citizen is completely not at fault in one case and completely at fault in the other, and it ended horribly in both instances.[/QUOTE]

If the Police conducted a "Raid" without a warrant the dog would of been an add on expense to the city.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4110382]Why were the cops there in the first place?

Don't you need a warrant to enter a house?

Guns drawn? Seriously?

So much of this story doesn't make sense.

Also, I like dogs more than most people. **** that power hungry, trigger happy cop, and take the money out if his pension.[/QUOTE]

Was the tail waggin up....or down?

Were these cops trained to read non-verbal cues?

It begs the question.

I demand answers.

-