Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry got $15m/yr for 8 years ($120M wide receiver)

Jets Insider VIP

Larry got $15m/yr for 8 years ($120M wide receiver)

Congrats Fitz! Crazy money! Crazy!

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4111104]Congrats Fitz! Crazy money! Crazy![/QUOTE]

I heard. I wonder what Chris Johnson will ask for now.

Braylon obviously deserved more.

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
    Re: Fitz ... Timing is everything. Holmes deal now looks more reasonable for Jets. And signing Jackson may have gotten tougher for Philly.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/fvxo8x.jpg[/IMG]

That about says it.
    Last edited by JB1089; 08-20-2011 at 11:13 PM.

I actually don't think I agree with AB's point, on the Holmes front, or the Jackson front, not really. It may push Jackson's numbers up a bit, but... as far as the overall WR market and trying to compare them to that? I don't know about that.

Fitzgerald is getting franchise QB money, in that contract... I don't think teams are going to do that, or change course going forward, for very many WRs, based on that.

Also, he's getting $47M guaranteed over the life of that contract, which is roughly double the length of time of Tone's contract, and Tone is getting $24.5M, or roughly half of that guaranteed, for close to half of the time, right? So the amount of guaranteed money, in the time frames, is pretty equivalent for them. And I think the guaranteed money is particularly a huge deal, because an 8 year contract... I wonder if those final years will happen on Fitz's deal.

Maybe, I'm looking at it wrong, but... Just from what's known now...

Either way, huge money, happy for Fitz.

I'm glad we locked up Santonio 3 weeks ago......sheesh, that's a lot of cash. Franchise QB money for a WR.

[QUOTE=lovethejets;4111134]I actually don't think I agree with AB's point, on the Holmes front, or the Jackson front, not really. It may push Jackson's numbers up a bit, but... as far as the overall WR market and trying to compare them to that? I don't know about that.

Fitzgerald is getting franchise QB money, in that contract... I don't think teams are going to do that, or change course going forward, for very many WRs, based on that.

Also, he's getting $47M guaranteed over the life of that contract, which is roughly double the length of time of Tone's contract, and Tone is getting $24.5M, or roughly half of that guaranteed, for close to half of the time, right? So the amount of guaranteed money, in the time frames, is pretty equivalent for them. And I think the guaranteed money is particularly a huge deal, because an 8 year contract... I wonder if those final years will happen on Fitz's deal.

Either way, huge money, happy for Fitz.[/QUOTE]

This will likely push the entire WR market once the real numbers come out but you cant always trust the initial reports (Holmes did not get a 10M/year deal for example) to make that leap. This will be the first market correction to the position since Fitzgerald's last contract. What effect this has is that a guy like Jackson will more or less state his case that the whole market has now changed. Using Santonio as an example they can point to the pre-Fitzgerald market as a top 10 WR being worth at least 9 million a year and then more or less state that the new market for the top 10 WR should be 13.5M/yr based on the increase at the top. When this deal becomes official Braylon Edwards will be doing cartwheels because his gamble now will likely pay off as the whole market is going to increase to some extent. Vincent Jackson and Calvin Johnson are going to set the real baseline market next year and its going to be way higher than Holmes.

No chance those final years happen on the Fitz deal. He and his agent have basically played the Cardinal front office like a fiddle from day 1. He was a top 5 draft pick that got his freedom after 4 years because of the insane cap structure of his rookie deal. He got huge money after that with voids to again make it a short term deal. Im sure they did the same here. His agent should be in the NFL Agent Hall of Fame for what he has done for Fitzgerald (not that he doesnt deserve it---hes a great player).

[QUOTE=Jason423;4111141]
    No chance those final years happen on the Fitz deal. He and his agent have basically played the Cardinal front office like a fiddle from day 1. He was a top 5 draft pick that got his freedom after 4 years because of the insane cap structure of his rookie deal. He got huge money after that with voids to again make it a short term deal. Im sure they did the same here. His agent should be in the NFL Agent Hall of Fame for what he has done for Fitzgerald (not that he doesnt deserve it---hes a great player).[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you added that bit at the end. None of it would have been possible if he weren't an absolute beast on the field.

Thanks for explaining, Jason... I don't know, what you're saying sort of sounds like, if the market recalibrates next year, we're fine this year and the next, but... if Santonio's performing well, we might have a contract situation on our hands after year three of his contract. I know you didn't say that, but... I'm just thinking based off of what you said.

He's repped by Segal, who is the same agent behind this current CJ holdout, who still has more than one year left on his deal, right? I have to wonder if we wouldn't wind up with a low grade Revis situation on our hands, if the market gets too out of whack, as far as where Tone's being compensated in compared to others.

All Pro
    Larry Fitgerald has gotten Three Mega Contracts - I bet he will double the amount of lifetime NFL money the next closest wideout will make.

-Rookie deal #3 money before this new CBA stopped the Gonzo rookie money
    -2nd Gonzo contract to save the Cards from the exorbidant escalators from that rookie deal
    -Now this

Wow- :eek:

These contracts have to stop. I'm not doubting that Fitz is the best WR in the league. He really is amazing. But these contracts are out of control. Wait another 5 years for the 10 year $200 mil contract.

^^On that point, sort of, Michael Lombardi said on the NFLN that while he's going to wait to see the contract structure for himself, and see what the cap hits look like, etc... He said he'd heard from "someone" that it was rumored Arizona said if Kolb doesn't work out, they're handcuffed, so he better work out, because they have no maneuverability or flexibility with their cap any longer... Literally, none. Something about them giving Fitz $17M in the first few years? Or, I don't know. Lombardi said he was waiting to pass judgment, but said it could be possible that team really has tied up most of its money in just a couple of players, which isn't really advisable, when it's not an elite QB.

[QUOTE=lovethejets;4111148]Thanks for explaining, Jason... I don't know, what you're saying sort of sounds like, if the market recalibrates next year, we're fine this year and the next, but... if Santonio's performing well, we might have a contract situation on our hands after year three of his contract. I know you didn't say that, but... I'm just thinking based off of what you said.

He's repped by Segal, who is the same agent behind this current CJ holdout, who still has more than one year left on his deal, right? I have to wonder if we wouldn't wind up with a low grade Revis situation on our hands, if the market gets too out of whack, as far as where Tone's being compensated in compared to others.[/QUOTE]

I think hell be fine for a few reasons. One he will not want to jeopardize the guaranteed money in his deal which is mainly base salary over the next three years. Secondly the only guys really set to surpass him at this stage are Jackson, Johnson, and I believe Jennings. The others like Roddy White and Andre Johnson are under longer deals.

And to be totally fair Holmes is not as good as those other players. He only has 1 1,000 yard season under his belt and those other players are more or less locks for 1,000+ every year they are healthy. When I ran his numbers he was a borderline top 10 guy and hes being paid higher than that. Hed have to absolutely explode to expect a holdout to be worth it,

As for CJ I think thats a different situation. CJ is at worst the second best RB in the NFL (behind Adrian Peterson). Moreso than that RB is a very young mans position and a position of dying importance in the NFL. 7 or 8 years ago any team in the NFL would have handed over a fortune to a guy like Johnson. Now his market is limited because teams have realized the limitations of paying a running back huge money. There are so few teams that use a 1 back system in todays NFL that its a shrinking market. Between the influx of good QBs into the NFL since 2004 and the rules changes the passing game has become a much bigger factor. The Titans just invested a 1st round draft choice in a QB. When you do that you cant invest 10+ million a year in a runner. You draft a QB to eventually throw the football not hand the ball off. So I think CJ is in a rough spot. He has to get the deal now and his only option is the holdout.

Fitzgerald is so talented he should play both ways, he is sure as s*** getting paid enough. One more inch on that superbowl interception play before the half and the Cards win that game. Could you imagine him at free safety? 20 INTs per year.

Well it may be crazy money but he at least is the top WR in the game IMO.

It's been reported Fitzgerald got 17 per average in the first 4 years. Doesn't sound like it's backloaded with funny money Jason.

Hall Of Fame
    So does this mean he won't be signing with the Jets?

_

[QUOTE=lovethejets;4111134]I actually don't think I agree with AB's point, on the Holmes front, or the Jackson front, not really. It may push Jackson's numbers up a bit, but... as far as the overall WR market and trying to compare them to that? I don't know about that.

Either way, huge money, happy for Fitz.[/QUOTE]

How is the guaranteed money "pretty equivalent" to what Tone got?

Jets gave Holmes $5M/year guaranteed, Fitzgerald will be getting nearly $8M/year guaranteed. that's not equivalent, that's 60% more, a very substantial difference.

Likewise, Holmes is getting $9M/year to Larry's $15M -- that's nearly 70% more.

In no way are these deals equivalent, not when Fitzgerald is getting more $$ guaranteed than Tone will see over the life of the contract.

Larry Fitzgerald is the Darrelle Revis of WR....Pitt representin!