Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Next

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What's Next

Syria, talk about human rights violations how about mowing people down in the streets by the hundreds. This Tyrant makes Quadaffi look like a saint!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4113847]Syria, talk about human rights violations how about mowing people down in the streets by the hundreds. This Tyrant makes Quadaffi look like a saint![/QUOTE]
    No prob. We'll just finance British and French sorties until civil war ousts the strongman. The excitement of democracy will provide an Islamic theocracy which will, in short order, produce a new strongman who will mow down Syrians by the hundreds in times of duress.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Syria was the right move for Bush instead of Iraq in the long run anyway. They were much more rogue and supporting terrorists and there is a good chance that would have pulled Saddam into the war anyway. 2 birds one stone. This could have stablized the area much more than just fighting Iraq did.

Now do we open yet another front while we have 2 ground wars and Lybia? Where is the money coming from? I guess that is one way to pull out of Iraq, just tell the troops to move west.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just another Arab Spring!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bomb them! Butt in! Kill! Kill! Without regard for long term consequence!

After all, it's just an economic stimulus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Syria is a completely different situation from Lybia. The Alawites are 12% of the Syrian population. Syria's entire upper eschelon of their military is made up of Alawites from Assads clan. The uprising by the Shiites in Syria is a existential threat to the Alawites. Let me be clear. If the Shiites took control of the country they would slaughter the Alawites in a fashion similar to what happened in Rowanda. For that reason Assad will never give up power there. He would need to be removed by force. The protestors in Syria are not armed. They are essentially attempting a peaceful revolution. This will not work there. The Alawites believe that if the Shia take control they will kill them all.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Per Wikipedia

Syria has a population of 22 million

Libya has a population of 6.5 million

Big difference

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4114043]Syria is a completely different situation from Lybia. The Alawites are 12% of the Syrian population. Syria's entire upper eschelon of their military is made up of Alawites from Assads clan. The uprising by the Shiites in Syria is a existential threat to the Alawites. Let me be clear. If the Shiites took control of the country they would slaughter the Alawites in a fashion similar to what happened in Rowanda. For that reason Assad will never give up power there. He would need to be removed by force. The protestors in Syria are not armed. They are essentially attempting a peaceful revolution. This will not work there. The Alawites believe that if the Shia take control they will kill them all.[/QUOTE]

Syria is exactly the same as Libya in that it has nothing to do with the biggest problems facing the United States right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4114061]Syria is exactly the same as Libya in that it has nothing to do with the biggest problems facing the United States right now.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that the USA should avoid getting into any more wars. But I disagree with you that it should be the policy of the USA to only focus on one issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4114067]I agree with you that the USA should avoid getting into any more wars. But I disagree with you that it should be the policy of the USA to only focus on one issue.[/QUOTE]

The one thing we should be focusing on is the USA. There was nothing to be gained in Lybia.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4114091]The one thing we should be focusing on is the USA. There was nothing to be gained in Lybia.[/QUOTE]

if the price of oil falls 10 dollars because Libya's rebellion comes to a speedy end, that helps the economy. Alot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4114061]Syria is exactly the same as Libya in that it has nothing to do with the biggest problems facing the United States right now.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here is advocating engaging Syria directly. Syria differs from Lybia in their direct ties to Iran. If we are discusing foreign policy, Iran is the number one threat to the US. They are actively at war against us. We are just to pigheaded to notice. Iran becomes an existential threat once they acquire nukes.

That said we have problems at home that are more pressing and serious at the moment. Our debt and deficits are barreling towards a very bad outcome. Mass inflation is on the horizon. 2011 is looking alot like 1978. Double dip recession followed by massive inflation. Weak president in over his head with no ideas on how to fix things.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4114095]if the price of oil falls 10 dollars because Libya's rebellion comes to a speedy end, that helps the economy. Alot.[/QUOTE]

That is a huge if. What makes you think these rebels will get the country turned around? Moreso, what makes you think they will be remotely interested in helping us? Lybia had been quiet since Reagan slapped them around. I think intervention was a mistake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4114103]That is a huge if. What makes you think these rebels will get the country turned around? Moreso, what makes you think they will be remotely interested in helping us? Lybia had been quiet since Reagan slapped them around. I think intervention was a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Y’ever hear of capitalism?

It is something like when it is in both parties best financial interest to do business with each other they do.

The Libyan government that Reagan “slapped around” was the same Libyan government that NATO helped to topple.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4114067]I agree with you that the USA should avoid getting into any more wars. But I disagree with you that it should be the policy of the USA to only focus on one issue.[/QUOTE]

That issue is our country!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4114114]Y’ever hear of capitalism?

It is something like when it is in both parties best financial interest to do business with each other they do.

The Libyan government that Reagan “slapped around” was the same Libyan government that NATO helped to topple.[/QUOTE]

That was my point Buster. Reagan slapped them around and we haven't seen any real trouble from them since. They contributed to the oil market and so on. There is no guarantee that the next regime will be as controlled as Ghadafi has been or that they will even play in the market right away.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4114095]if the price of oil falls 10 dollars because Libya's rebellion comes to a speedy end, that helps the economy. Alot.[/QUOTE]

What happened to all that free oil you said was behind Bush going into Iraq?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4114128]That was my point Buster. Reagan slapped them around and we haven't seen any real trouble from them since. They contributed to the oil market and so on. There is no guarantee that the next regime will be as controlled as Ghadafi has been or that they will even play in the market right away.[/QUOTE]

I believe the Lockerbie bombing of Pan Am flight 103 was in 1988. Reagan Bombed Libya in 1986.

Also, I believe Libya will need money and will therefore need to sell oil.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4114193]What happened to all that free oil you said was behind Bush going into Iraq?[/QUOTE]

It was the Bush Administration that said Iraq's oil money would pay for it's reconstruction. Problem is there are 34 million hungry Iraqi's in need of education.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4114200]It was the Bush Administration that said Iraq's oil money would pay for it's reconstruction. Problem is there are 34 million hungry Iraqi's in need of education.[/QUOTE]

But the liberals kept pounding the 'war for oil' drum as the secret reason for Bush going in there...