Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAX THE RICH!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

TAX THE RICH!!!

Here are the sobering numbers.

There are 4,000,000 people in this country that make over $200,000 per year. They paid a total of 500 billion in taxes in 2010. There are 220,000 people that made over 1 million, they paid 115 billion in taxes. 8500 people made over 10 million, they paid 50 billion in taxes.

Here is the thing. People have been talking about "taxing the rich" as a solution to our problems. The problem is that the numbers don't come close to working.

If we look at things from a pragmatic point of view it is clear that there simply arent enough dollars to begin to get us out of the trouble we are in. The total Take from people over a million is 160 billion. If we instituted the Buffet tax and increased the numbers from those folks the most money we are looking at is in the tens of billions per year. Even a 50% tax hike on the million plus crowd would only net 80 billion and a 50% tax hike would never happen.

OK that tact doesn't work. Lets try adding more people to the mix. The 4million families making 200,000 plus paid 500billion. Lets crush then with a 10% tax hike. That takes gets us an additional 50 billion. Add that to the money we made on the 50% hike on the 1million plus crowd and we have a net of 130billion per year. Our deficit this year is 1.7 trillion. Add in the punishing tax on the over 200K crown and our deficit will go down to 1.6 trillion.

These numbers are important for everyone to understand. The tax the rich mantra is a deflection from the reality of our situation. I want to make it clear that I support an additional tax on the over 1 million crowd. They make plenty of money and are actually less likely to create jobs with it than their 200,000-1,000,000 counterparts. That 1 million plus crowd tax will likely net a few tens of billions in revenues. That said using it as the carrot that gets government and the country as a whole to swallow the pill we need to swallow is a great strategy for republicans to follow to fix our problems.

It is important to understand these numbers so that we can see through the politicians that lie and try to pin deficit blames on taxpayers. The blame lies in government itself. The only possible solution must come from within government. Spending must be drastically reduced to keep the republic solvent. Bad things are coming if this problem is not fixed now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very little the liberals promote actually works. They are a group, based on sound bites. The Johnson administration..."End Poverty in our lifetime" mandate is a joke.

Under heavy government spending, of which most goes to civil servants, the poor have become more entrenched in poverty. Poverty has remained unchanged, education rates have fallen and the gap between rich and poor has swelled.

This gap will continue to widen as education becomes the main cause in the income gap in todays technology age.

Anybody up for a JI flash mob tonite??? It's all the rave.;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only reason "tax the rich" is being talked about is because it polls incredibly well. something like 70% of Americans believe in it. if the same number believed that dogs should be considered citizens that's what Politicians would be moving toward.

so you can be part of a vocal minority but most people don't care. and fwiw this article treats 10s of billions as a throwaway number, that's not really the case. the entire Libya adventure will cost in the 10s of billions.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4113964]Very little the liberals promote actually works. [/QUOTE]

again look at the polls, this idea has support all across the country. the conservatives who think taxes should remain low on the rich are in the minority, big time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4113966]again look at the polls, this idea has support all across the country. the conservatives who think taxes should remain low on the rich are in the minority, big time.[/QUOTE]

There's a huge difference between supporting tax code reform and thinking that inordinately taxing the rich will solve our problems.

But oversimplification of that sort suits people like you. It's all you have, really.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4113966]again look at the polls, this idea has support all across the country. the conservatives who think taxes should remain low on the rich are in the minority, big time.[/QUOTE]

It will solve nothing...... the poor will remain poor and the government will grow. The fact that a majority agree is no surprise. 50 percent pay nothing and then you need ony a small percent from the remainder..... ALL PART of the liberal agenda.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4113975]
    But oversimplification of that sort suits people like you. It's all you have, really.[/QUOTE]

yeah people like me and 70% of America. You don't get it. It doesn't matter whether it's a good idea or not. it's a popular idea and it's not just liberals. there are only 30% liberals in America you can't get to 70% without all the independents and some of the GOP'ers as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4113977]The fact that a majority agree is no surprise. ... ALL PART of the liberal agenda.[/QUOTE]

if the liberal agenda gets 70% approval you are in deep trouble. This isn't liberal agenda it's common sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4113985]yeah people like me and 70% of America. You don't get it. It doesn't matter whether it's a good idea or not. it's a popular idea and it's not just liberals. there are only 30% liberals in America you can't get to 70% without all the independents and some of the GOP'ers as well.[/QUOTE]

Again, you're not seeing the distinction.

As said however, it is those simple nuances missed and lack of a basic level of understanding that shape the liberal mind after all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4114004]Again, you're not seeing the distinction.

As said however, it is those simple nuances missed and lack of a basic level of understanding that shape the liberal mind after all.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah you guys are smarter than everyone else. good luck in the next general election, you'll need it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4114008]oh yeah you guys are smarter than everyone else. good luck in the next general election, you'll need it.[/QUOTE]

Tell me, who is "us guys" that are in the election?

No one said anything about being smarter than "everyone else" :rolleyes:

I spoke only to the blatant stupidity of those who come devoid of any original thought and exist simply to regurgitate their party line, no matter how illogical. Over and over, without shame or hesitation.

If I knew any of these people or cared, I'd actually be embarassed for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4113965]the only reason "tax the rich" is being talked about is because it polls incredibly well. something like 70% of Americans believe in it. if the same number believed that dogs should be considered citizens that's what Politicians would be moving toward.

so you can be part of a vocal minority but most people don't care. and fwiw this article treats 10s of billions as a throwaway number, that's not really the case. the entire Libya adventure will cost in the 10s of billions.[/QUOTE]

Bitoni, its not that 10's of billions is not significant in itself. It is insignificant compared to 1.7 trillion. I agree with you that the reason it is pushed is because it polls well. I'll take it further and break from the hard core right when i say that taxing the 1million plus crowd will not hurt the economy. It is a neutral effect. The people that invest and create jobs fall in the 200,000 to 1 million category. Super wealthy people dont "need the money". Many of them inherited their money or are sports stars, actors, producers etc. They have a higher tendency to save. The point is that paying a higher percentage wont effect them either way. I think that the push should be to trade higher taxes on the 1 million plus crowd for deep spending cuts and entitlement reform.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called class warfare. They have something we want and we do anything to get it. I say what about the 40% who pay no taxes and receive most of the rewards of our work!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets face it taxing the rich is a gimic because what they really are saying we want more money to spend. That is plain and simple. I say live within your means. If you bring in 2 trillion in taxes every year you only spend 2 trillion.
    That is plain and simple.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4114029] I think that the push should be to trade higher taxes on the 1 million plus crowd for deep spending cuts and entitlement reform.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with that

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4113987]if the liberal agenda gets 70% approval you are in deep trouble. This isn't liberal agenda it's common sense.[/QUOTE]

It's common sense because it is popular even if the math doesn't work?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4113965]the only reason "tax the rich" is being talked about is because it polls incredibly well. something like 70% of Americans believe in it. if the same number believed that dogs should be considered citizens that's what Politicians would be moving toward.

so you can be part of a vocal minority but most people don't care. and fwiw this article treats 10s of billions as a throwaway number, that's not really the case. the entire Libya adventure will cost in the 10s of billions.[/QUOTE]

Snoopy for President

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4114198]It's common sense because it is popular even if the math doesn't work?[/QUOTE]

no its common sense because it has 70% support. if it was a purely liberal construct it would only be supported by liberals, and that would poll in the 30% area. This isn't class warfare it's making spending match revenues. that's common sense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loopholes. Where is that in your "numbers"?

You only have what they paid.

How about what they would have paid if the tax rate stayed at this level, and all the ridiculous loopholes were closed?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4113933]There are 4,000,000 people in this country that make over $200,000 per year.[/QUOTE]

1.3%

Truly saddening.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyp74H3kMdI[/url]