Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College students getting a lesson in wealth distribution

Jets Insider VIP

College students getting a lesson in wealth distribution

[QUOTE]
    [B][SIZE="5"]College Students in Favor of Wealth Distribution Are Asked to Pass Their Grade Points to Other Students[/SIZE][/B]

A California college student is conducting a social experiment where he’s trying to get his peers to sign a petition in favor of distributing grade point averages to show how the federal government distributes wealth.

Oliver Darcy, a recent college graduate, [B]proposes that students with good grades contribute their GPA to their academically sluggish friends. He argues that this is how the federal government takes wealth from the country’s high wage earners and distributes it to the low income earners.[/B]

“They all earn their GPA,” said Darcy in an interview with "Fox and Friends." “So we asked them if they’d be interested in redistributing the GPA points that they earned to students who may be having trouble getting a high GPA.”
    Darcy, who films his encounters with teachers and fellow students, doesn’t have much luck selling this theory.

He said many students on college campuses support high taxes on the rich, but when put into relative terms, cringed at the thought of spreading around their academic wealth.

In a video posted on Exposingleftists.com, one student said, [B]“If I do give GPA points to students that don’t deserve it, it isn’t fair, I work for what I have.”[/B]
    Oliver also goes around campus asking whether students want to sign his petition to pay their share of the national debt – which amounts to nearly $47,000 per person.

This, too, brought mixed reaction, with one student saying the debt isn’t hers because she didn't contribute to it.

[/QUOTE]

Well done. The hypocrisy is frightening.

Recycling threads? Oh boy!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4114538]I can't argue with the content of the story and the hypocrisy of liberals who want to redistribute what belongs to others so long as it doesn't impact them, so I'll just point out that this may have been posted already.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, cr. I didn't know it was posted already.

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4114536]Well done. The hypocrisy is frightening.[/QUOTE]

it is a nice story that conservatives lap up...but it is a false analogy which makes no sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=piney;4114544]it is a nice story that conservatives lap up...but it is a false analogy which makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

It only makes no sense to people who think they should be able to take from others what those people have earned.

College is a breeding ground for wide-eyed, impressionable young people who are convinced they can solve all the world's problems and that rich people (who provide most of the endowments at their universities by the way) are the enemy. It isn't until those students graduate, get a job and enter the real world that they realize 35% of their paycheck is going to whoever the government wants it to....not to who really needs and deserves it.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4114542]Thank you, cr. I thought this was really stupid when it I first read it, but why let that stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/QUOTE]

+1

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4114556]+1[/QUOTE]

:)

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4114554]It only makes no sense to people who think they should be able to take from others what those people have earned.

College is a breeding ground for wide-eyed, impressionable young people who are convinced they can solve all the world's problems and that rich people (who provide most of the endowments at their universities by the way) are the enemy. It isn't until those students graduate, get a job and enter the real world that they realize 35% of their paycheck is going to whoever the government wants it to....not to who really needs and deserves it.[/QUOTE]

Blah, Blah, Blah. The gov't has pros and cons. Grades and taxes is an apple to oranges argument.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nice job of this student of ripping off someone else's idea.

He'll go far.

And the "experiment" only works if 5% of the students have a GPA of 1,000,000 and they have to give up 360,000 of their GPA points so that the students with a GPA of 2.0 can boost it to 2.2.

SCIENCE!!
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 08-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The would get a better education if they knew how much college professors get paid for very little work.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4114595]Nice job of this student of ripping off someone else's idea.

He'll go far.

And the "experiment" only works if 5% of the students have a GPA of 1,000,000 and they have to give up 360,000 of their GPA points so that the students with a GPA of 2.0 can boost it to 2.2.

SCIENCE!![/QUOTE]

bell curve....normal distribution.....If I remember right it WAS something like 5% of us who got "curved" into the 3.9-4.0 range, particularly in classes like thermodynamics and differential equations. I honestly remember a guy getting a 49 on a test and it was the highest score out of 30 people. :O

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4114554]It only makes no sense to people who think they should be able to take from others what those people have earned.

College is a breeding ground for wide-eyed, impressionable young people who are convinced they can solve all the world's problems and that rich people (who provide most of the endowments at their universities by the way) are the enemy. It isn't until those students graduate, get a job and enter the real world that they realize 35% of their paycheck is going to whoever the government wants it to....not to who really needs and deserves it.[/QUOTE]

wow...stereotype hyperbole much?

You basically call out a group of people as all the same for calling out another group of people all the same?

"College kids are all x and are stupid because they think rich people are all y. I am smart though because I believe my stereotype!"

just funny to me, that's all.

such a bad comparison...it makes ZERO sense.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4114595]

SCIENCE!!

[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo[/URL]

Human Nature, it's always easier to give away someone elses stuff, than to give away your own. That is the core of Social Welfare Statism, so those who "feel" can satiate that feeling by making everyone give, so they themselves don;t have to give so much themselves.

All Pro
    Blah blah blah, what I need to know is what do I get?

:rolleyes:

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    I could not find the original thread with this same "article" posted in it.

So here is an example why this story is a weak analogy:

Paul “Microsoft“ Allen’s children (if he has any, not sure)?

Those kids were born with the equivalent of GPA of 4.0. Their Dad (Paul “Microsoft “Allen) has a net worth in the neighborhood of 13 billion dollars

They did not work for that GPA (money) but they got it just the same. They should have no gripe.

All League
    Right. Among the many areas it fails in, the analogy epically fails to address inherited wealth. Or for that matter any wealth not earned through personal (and legal) labor. It assumes that wealth is only earned through hard work and grit, through personal industry. But that's not true of course. A lot of money is inherited. A lot of money is acquired by breaking the law. A lot of money is acquired as the result of favoritism or prejudice. True, things like cheating and favoritism also inflate some school grades, but I'll warrant not to the same extent as they do to personal wealth.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4114536]Well done. The hypocrisy is frightening.[/QUOTE]

Yeah..like, The Government is too big, let's shrink it, except I work for the government so I am not the problem, but I am a conservative too.;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4114908]Right. Among the many areas it fails in, the analogy epically fails to address inherited wealth. Or for that matter any wealth not earned through personal (and legal) labor. It assumes that wealth is only earned through hard work and grit, through personal industry. But that's not true of course. A lot of money is inherited. A lot of money is acquired by breaking the law. A lot of money is acquired as the result of favoritism or prejudice. True, things like cheating and favoritism also inflate some school grades, but I'll warrant not to the same extent as they do to personal wealth.[/QUOTE]

OK but for the other 85% of us the analogy comes close enough to prove the point it is intended to make which is why should I have to give away what I earn by my labor to those who sit around and don't work hard, take the risks or make the investments into their future (both time and money) that I have put into mine?

The fruits of a students labor can be measured by their GPA just as a workers can be measured by their pay check. Boiled down to its essence it works. If you want to nit-pick you can find holes in anything.

Take these illustrious citizens looking for a way to get a little more of their "fair share".

[URL]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029273/Woman-encouraged-husband-sex-12-year-old-girl-benefits.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    [B]Woman 'encouraged husband to have sex with 12-year-old girl so that she would get pregnant and they could claim more benefits[/B]
    'By Paul Thompson
    Last updated at 5:05 PM on 23rd August 2011

Bouchard is alleged to have actively encouraged her husband to sleep with the girl who had been staying at their home in Jackson County, Florida.
    The sex and benefits scam began after the girl, who has not been named, told Bouchard that she was sexually active.
    Mrs Bouchard is alleged to have persuaded her to sleep with her husband Matt, telling her that 'the worse that could happen is you would get pregnant'.
    Her husband told authorities after his arrest on under age sex charges that it was his wife's goal that a pregnancy would lead to more income for the household.
    Police began investigating the Bouchard's after they received a complaint that the girl was being sexually abused.
    The arrest report does not reveal how the 12-year-old girl came to live with the married couple, but is believed to be a family friend.
    Mr Bouchard was arrested on sex abuse charges last October and has been held in jail ever since.
    His wife's involvement began apparent went investigators talked to the 12-year-old girl after she was placed in a shelter.
    Investigators also obtained a letter Mrs. Bouchard sent to the girl after she was placed in a shelter.
    In the letter, she apologised to the girl for forcing her to watch her and her husband have sex and also said it was a mistake to watch her husband have sex with the 12-year-old victim.
    She wrote she was 'dang sure [she] should not have allowed [her] to have sex with Matt.”.
    Bouchard was booked into jail on charges of being a principal to sexual battery, soliciting sexual activity with a child and principal to child abuse.
    [/QUOTE]