Thread: Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple, to serve as chairman of the board; Tim Cook named

All League

Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple, to serve as chairman of the board; Tim Cook named

Silicon Valley legend Steve Jobs on Wednesday resigned as chief executive of Apple Inc in a stunning move at the technology giant he co-founded in a garage.

The 55-year-old Apple co-founder and pancreatic cancer survivor has been on medical leave for an undisclosed condition since January 17.

Apple said Steve Jobs has been elected chairman and Tim Cook has been elected CEO.

[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/24/us-apple-idUSTRE77N82K20110824[/url]

Letter from Steve Jobs
    Business Wire

CUPERTINO, Calif. -- August 24, 2011

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4115600]
    The 55-year-old Apple co-founder and pancreatic cancer survivor [/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

If he's a survivor of Pancreatic cancer, he's the first one I know about.

The man is not well.

Prayers and best wishes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;4115847]:rolleyes:

If he's a survivor of Pancreatic cancer, he's the first one I know about.

The man is not well.

Prayers and best wishes.[/QUOTE]

I believe there are one or two forms of it that, if caught early, can be effectively treated. I'm sure the ability to pay the best and brightest in the world to treat you helps, too.

I'm no Apple fanboi, but what Jobs has done, not only for his company, but for the computer/electronics industry is nothing short of incredible. Godspeed to him.

I wish all the best to him and his family - but I assume (and I think most others assume as well) that his outlook is very bleak at this point. My guess is he has about a month to live...

Here's a picture of him on TMZ - I don't *know* if the picture is real, but I believe it...

The picture is pretty bad / sad, though, so be warned.

[URL="http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-jobs-apple-photo-resignation-ceo-sick/"]http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/26/steve-jobs-apple-photo-resignation-ceo-sick/[/URL]