Thread: Prediction: Hurricane 2011

JetsInsider.com Legend

Prediction: Hurricane 2011

After the "Massively Dangerous Killer-Destoryer" Cat 2/1 Hurricaine Irene passes by in a few days:

--the Media will report numerous "compare/contrast" reports of Irene vs. Katrina, with specific mention of how much better FEMA/Obama was than FEMA/Bush, but non-specific mention re: comparison of the actual Hurricaines themselves.

--there will be widespread discussion regarding Climate Change, claiming Hurricaines are worse and more frequent due to it.

--If any destruction occurs, there will be widespread liberal comment that we should not be paying to rebuild the homes of the wealthy on barrier islands such as Hatteras/Outer Banks with any federal funds, and that rebuilding there should perhaps not be permitted by the Federal Government.

--At least one JI Forum Poster will claim Irene's damage is/was a great thing to happen, because it's Federal aid acted as an economic stimulus where at least 2 dollars was created from every dollar of aid given.
    Last edited by Warfish; 08-26-2011 at 02:05 PM.

I can see all this happening with an added pat on the back filed under the compare and contrast version in your story for Obama stopping his vacation early to ascertain the storms probable impact zones and fully preparing for the armageddon that is coming from the Atlantic...

All League
    Why not predict something less obvious, like "It may get a tad breezy" or "There may be a spot o' rain"?

All Pro
    Prediction: Hurricane 2011

Conservatives will complain about media coverage, mythical double standards, and express doubt toward widely accepted scientific views.

Oh wait, that already happened.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=parafly;4117703]Prediction: Hurricane 2011

Conservatives will complain about media coverage[/quote]

Because the Media is biased, one way (FOX/Con Radio/Some News Papers) or the other (Most of the rest).

[QUOTE]mythical double standards[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE]and express doubt toward widely accepted scientific views.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting to point out you said "accepted".....not "proven".

Acceptance is not proof. Given the cannot even tell us where the Hurricaine will be in ~24 hours due to the vast number fo variables involved, I'll remind you again that pridictions of Climate Change, when the vast majority of variables are either unavailable or unverifyable or untracked....isn't exactly proof.

Unlike the Religion of Climate Change most Libs (and Govt. funded and dependant scientists) proscribe to, I DO believe that man has an effect on the climate.....but unlike them, I cannot lay the entire blame of planetary climate change on it, as the proof, real proof (not 2% of variables accounted for speculation, simply does not exist with today's level of science.

It must be nice though, to live on your side of the aisle Para, really. A perfectly fair media, no doubels tandards, and the surety of what you've been told is fact without any consideration if all the factors have been accounted for or not.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4117719]It's interesting to point out you said "accepted".....not "proven".[/QUOTE]

Technically, gravity and relativity aren't "proven" either.

The entire global warming and climate change movement did itself a huge disservice by taking a fear / hysteria approach which is simply a complete overreaction and not provable by any realistic means. I disagree completely with some of the fear based and outlandish predictions, but that doesn't discount the entire notions of global warming, climate change, and man's effect on his environment.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=parafly;4117739]...but that doesn't discount the entire notions of global warming, climate change, and man's effect on his environment.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. Pumping billions of cubic feet a day of noxious smoke into the atmosphere is completely harmless. Trees eat car exhaust. That's why LA is so smoggy....no trees, bro.

I mean, 9 out of 10 doctors say that it's perfectly safe to run a generator inside your house with all the doors and windows shut...provided you have a few Spiderplants and Dieffenbachias inside too. That's why rednecks die from carbon monoxide poisoning so much...they're not into houseplants like my grandma is. Grandma has been burning Styrofoam in her oven for years to heat her trailer. She's fine...she has like 10 Ficus trees....

All League
    Pre-emptive politicizing of a major hurricane - Good job Warfish :rolleyes:.

My parents live on the South Shore of Long Island and one of my brothers has a house in Baltimore a couple of blocks from the water.

I'm hoping them and their houses are OK.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4117760]Pre-emptive politicizing of a major hurricane - Good job Warfish :rolleyes:.

My parents live on the South Shore of Long Island and one of my brothers has a house in Baltimore a couple of blocks from the water.

I'm hoping them and their houses are OK.[/QUOTE]

If they have their Republican voters registration they will be all over Fox News!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they are safe.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=parafly;4117739]Technically, gravity and relativity aren't "proven" either.[/quote]

We both wish there was remotely the same level of evidence/verifyabillity for Man-Caused Climate Change as there is for Gravity, one way or the other.

[QUOTE]The entire global warming and climate change movement did itself a huge disservice by taking a fear / hysteria approach[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.

Add in that there was a specific attempt to use the fear-portion of the science to promote and further a specific socio-political and economic agenda, and there you have it.

While I don't discount the God-Cultists of the right's outright rejection of science, I think you and I both know I don't play that tune. My objection is that those most aggressively pushing man-caused climate change fail to face the fact that they have only a small portion of data for what is a avstly complex system. In time, I am sure they'll be able to get all the variables, and prove the theory (or not) on the facts along, with the variables all (or almost all) covered.

Right now, we're not there yet. Doesn't mean I support polution, just taht I'm not going to buy-in to the socio-political and economic policy changes out of fear, fear promoted by those looking to make changes to our way of life that have very little to do with the climate.

[QUOTE]I disagree completely with some of the fear based and outlandish predictions, but that doesn't discount the entire notions of global warming, climate change, and man's effect on his environment.[/QUOTE]

Again, I agree completely.:yes:

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4117751]Nonsense. Pumping billions of cubic feet a day of noxious smoke into the atmosphere is completely harmless.[/QUOTE]

"All or nothing extremes!!!!" PK at it again, eh. You may enjoy a casual read of this page, given how often your posts involve these things: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy[/url] You may especially enjoy [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man[/url]
    Last edited by Warfish; 08-26-2011 at 05:03 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4117760]Pre-emptive politicizing of a major hurricane - Good job Warfish :rolleyes:.[/quote]

If you want the non-political thread on the Hurricane, might I suggest the Hanger (Hampur). It's colorful in there, but they're good dudes.:D

[QUOTE]My parents live on the South Shore of Long Island and one of my brothers has a house in Baltimore a couple of blocks from the water.[/QUOTE]

I have family all over Long Island, and in coastal (of a sort) VA myself.

[quote]I'm hoping them and their houses are OK.[/QUOTE]

I share your hope. I still remember Gloria (as a young kid) all too well.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4117816]"All or nothing extremes!!!!" PK at it again, eh. You may enjoy a casual read of this page, given how often your posts involve these things: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy[/url] You may especially enjoy [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man[/url][/QUOTE]

Yes.

Also...anti-freeze isn't bad for dogs.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo[/url]

Didn't Rick Perry and all those A-Holes in Texas hold a prayer meeting for rain? Guess it worked.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4117837]Didn't Rick Perry and all those A-Holes in Texas hold a prayer meeting for rain? Guess it worked.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. If only we had what the Romans had 2000 years ago, we could funnell all the rain to Texas where the actually need it.

On the bright side, both NC and VA had raging swampy-wildfires they had no shot at putting out without a storm like this. Maybe this will knock them both out.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4117821]If you want the non-political thread on the Hurricane, might I suggest the Hanger (Hampur). It's colorful in there, but they're cliquey, elitist dudes.:D

[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

:alien:

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4117835]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo[/url][/QUOTE]

That song has been bouncing around in my head for three days. And I'm like "no, I'm so NOT praying for rain".:D