Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama schedules primetime jobs speech to Congress during GOP debate

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Obama schedules primetime jobs speech to Congress during GOP debate

I just read that the Obama Admin. has scheduled a primetime speech to a joint session of Congress - state of the unionesque, if you will - during a Republican debate one week from tonight.

Obama will be unveiling his mysterious, magical jobs plan in an effort to "put aside partisan politics", by attempting to overshadow his eventual competitor in the 2012 election.

Is there any doubt that he really doesn't give a **** about jobs in this country? He's made no effort to quell the massive unemployment numbers in this country (aside from a sloppily drawn up, ineffective and overbearing stimulus package), and is now using the opportunity to finally address the issue as a virtual campaign address to step on his competition.

The man is shameless.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4123551]I just read that the Obama Admin. has scheduled a primetime speech to a joint session of Congress - state of the unionesque, if you will - during a Republican debate one week from tonight.

Obama will be unveiling his mysterious, magical jobs plan in an effort to "put aside partisan politics", by attempting to overshadow his eventual competitor in the 2012 election.

Is there any doubt that he really doesn't give a **** about jobs in this country? He's made no effort to quell the massive unemployment numbers in this country (aside from a sloppily drawn up, ineffective and overbearing stimulus package), and is now using the opportunity to finally address the issue as a virtual campaign address to step on his competition.

The man is shameless.[/QUOTE]

In over his head...I posted this over 2 years ago. A liberal plan will never grow an economy. Mark my words..he will talk about a "JOBS BILL" similar to the new deal, putting americans back to work.

God forbid he tells people firmly to get an education, develop a skill and stop relying on government.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the President now has an obligation to schedule an address in front of Congress around a Republican debate 15 months before the Presidential election? By the way, there are three Republican debates scheduled in September and seven before the start of the new year.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4123581]So the President now has an obligation to schedule an address in front of Congress around a Republican debate 15 months before the Presidential election? By the way, there are three Republican debates scheduled in September and seven before the start of the new year.[/QUOTE]

I'd say this is a pretty significant debate. It's being held at the Reagan Library, so it's somewhat of a marque event, and it's the first debate featuring Rick Perry. For many people aware of the hype surrounding Perry but not really familiar with the man himself, this will be the debate to watch.

Is it really necessary for Obama to announce his grand plan during a primetime address to Congress? Can't he just tell us the plan already, after talking it up for the past two months without providing any details? Unemployment has ravaged this country since 2008, enough with the partisan theatrics. This is purely a political move, and it's obvious and a bit garish.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4123563]In over his head...I posted this over 2 years ago. A liberal plan will never grow an economy. Mark my words..he will talk about a "JOBS BILL" similar to the new deal, putting americans back to work.

God forbid he tells people firmly to get an education, develop a skill and stop relying on government.[/QUOTE]

$10 says his jobs plan is another stimulus package.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4123563]In over his head...I posted this over 2 years ago. A liberal plan will never grow an economy. Mark my words..he will talk about a "JOBS BILL" similar to the new deal, putting americans back to work.

[B]God forbid he tells people firmly to get an education, develop a skill and stop relying on government.[/B][/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying here, but that won't fix the problem. There are plenty of educated and/or skilled people out of work right now. More school or training will not put them back into the workforce.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4123589]Is it really necessary for Obama to announce his grand plan during a primetime address to Congress? Can't he just tell us the plan already, after talking it up for the past two months without providing any details? Unemployment has ravaged this country since 2008, enough with the partisan theatrics. This is purely a political move, and it's obvious and a bit garish.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but you can't really blame him for playing up to his strengths. I'm interested in hearing some of the details, but fully expect to come away disappointed and unimpressed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4123589]Unemployment has ravaged this country since 2008...[/QUOTE]

That's because the unemployed don't have educations or valuable skills. They suck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The GOP debate should have the candidates watching Obama's speech, a la Mystery Science Theater 3000, and commenting on the lameness, lies and ludicrousness that's sure to be in abundance.

I'd watch that fo sho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4123595]I get what you're saying here, but that won't fix the problem. There are plenty of educated and/or skilled people out of work right now. More school or training will not put them back into the workforce.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that this is a serious problem and there is NO silver bullet but...

Unemployment amongst those with a college degree is HALF of those without.

I like those odds.

Skilled and the right skills are 2 different things. I know of a kid (very well if you know what I mean) who got a really good job because they went to a good college, interned for free, and after NOT being able to find a job 3 months after college was waiting tables. She then LITERALLY walked all over a (BIG US CITY-unnamed) with her resume rolled and tied like a wedding invitation and a hand note that said...If you hire me, you will not be sorry. You can have me at a bargain price, get it while I am still available. She stopped mailing her resume, stopped e mailing etc... and walked into hundreds of companies.

Within 3 days she got calls from people saying how impressed they were with her "balls".

She now has a good job.

Hustle, drive and desire are still in demand.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4123609]The GOP debate should have the candidates watching Obama's speech, a la Mystery Science Theater 3000, and commenting on the lameness, lies and ludicrousness that's sure to be in abundance.

I'd watch that fo sho.[/QUOTE]

This would be much more entertaining than watching them glorify Reagan (who would be considered a radical leftist by today's Republican standards), spout off about failed supply side economic policies, denounce science, and blame all of the country's problems on the big bad government.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch for the same old tired propaganda:

- We have to invest in our future
    - Congress has to put the country before politics
    - We need a balanced approach
    - Damn those millionaires and billionaires (or anyone making over $200k)

:rolleyes:

Do you younguns know what the phrase "broken record" means? :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4123616]... and walked into hundreds of companies.
    [/QUOTE]

lolz...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4123632]lolz...[/QUOTE]

I think there is a reason you live where you live.;)

The real world is too complex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

God forbid he tells people firmly to get an education, develop a skill and stop relying on government.[/QUOTE]

Crazy talk!

There wil, um, uh, um, be a, um, uh chicken in every um uh pot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4123643]Crazy talk!

There wil, um, uh, um, be a, um, uh chicken in every um uh pot.[/QUOTE]

Racist...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4123641]I think there is a reason you live where you live.;)

The real world is too complex.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it.

I's too stupid to live any place else. :P

If I was smahter...I'd live someplace where my mortgage payment would be over 2k a month. SCIENCE!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4123648]Racist...[/QUOTE]

lol :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so just to be clear this is a thread full of haters, who are bashing a speech before it is even made. Thanks fellas.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4123665]so just to be clear this is a thread full of haters, who are bashing a speech before it is even made. Thanks fellas.[/QUOTE]

We'll bash it when it's done too... Don't worry.